Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Unfortunately I can see clubs who can offer that wee bit extra trying to sign Chris Kane. If St.Johnstone stay up I wouldn’t be shocked if they offer him a year as a squad striker, and if then come down in the playoffs I wouldn’t be shocked if they offer him a deal to fire them back up.

MFW has done well enough to earn a contract outside of the Scottish Championship, wouldn’t be shocked if he stays at Cardiff or gets another gig down south.

With regards to Falkirk, I think if they’d just won the league in fairly normal circumstances, I think they’d come up and aim to finish mid table next season. However, with the invincible season, I think it’ll propel them on a bit more and they’ll have a right good go next season. It would seem they already have a good spirit in the team, and the amount of late goals to get them wins or draws over the season was mad. A few handy recruits and they’ll do okay. Suppose the good thing is they were playing L1 players, they still have a lot of below Championship quality in their squad. 

13 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Unfortunately I can see clubs who can offer that wee bit extra trying to sign Chris Kane. If St.Johnstone stay up I wouldn’t be shocked if they offer him a year as a squad striker, and if then come down in the playoffs I wouldn’t be shocked if they offer him a deal to fire them back up.

MFW has done well enough to earn a contract outside of the Scottish Championship, wouldn’t be shocked if he stays at Cardiff or gets another gig down south.

With regards to Falkirk, I think if they’d just won the league in fairly normal circumstances, I think they’d come up and aim to finish mid table next season. However, with the invincible season, I think it’ll propel them on a bit more and they’ll have a right good go next season. It would seem they already have a good spirit in the team, and the amount of late goals to get them wins or draws over the season was mad. A few handy recruits and they’ll do okay. Suppose the good thing is they were playing L1 players, they still have a lot of below Championship quality in their squad. 

Agreed

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8545.jpeg

23 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Agreed

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8545.jpeg

Dropped points to Edinburgh and got put out the cup to Bonnyrigg Rose.

18 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Dropped points to Edinburgh and got put out the cup to Bonnyrigg Rose.

Agreed

Dunfermline championship 2023/24
11 Wins, 12 draws, 13 losses

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Agreed

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8545.jpeg

League Cup I could just about get on board with, even though webdrew at Stark's Park this season and have e.g. beaten Hearts at Tynecastle on penalties and so on, but the Challenge Cup? I know Falkirk take it seriously (chortle) but does anyone else? And losing to Bonnyrigg in the Scottish Cup takes the shine off that. As said previously, going unbeaten in any league is decent, even if the standard is poor and the referee got you out of losing to Edinburgh with a penalty that wasn't in the 97th minute. I think you'll do fine next season, but hopefully the Falkirk support think that they'll be swatting aside everyone and they end up scrambling down the bottom again for everyone else's enjoyment. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

If we're doing this:

Screenshot_20240506_124229_Opera.thumb.jpg.19dcf7859c43cf1f61dd78cca6e70ca3.jpg

The one that matters. Except it doesn't. Because absolutely no-one gives a f**k about the Challenge Cup.

We'll absolutely need a few bits of quality added or we'll end up struggling like you lot did this season but the majority of our existing squad are more than capable of playing in the championship.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Agreed

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8545.jpeg

Winning four cup ties doesn't mean you have a Championship ready squad though does it. Last season when we won the league, we played Arbroath away in the League Cup and battered them 5-1, then went to Thistle in the Scottish Cup and drew 1-1, going out on penalties. Did those results mean we had a Championship level squad? No. I'd actually say we still don't have a Championship level squad. We have some good players but in terms of the squad, no which is exactly the same for Falkirk. Too many guys with a few Championship appearances here and there, or ones that hide when the going gets tough, something Falkirk didn't have to deal with this season.

Just had a look at the Falkirk squad, outside of Brad Spencer, Callum Morrison there's not anyone in there that jumps out at me, the boy Miller and Henderson are decent but I'd be lying if I said there were loads of Championship level quality in there. Had the pleasure of watching the majority of that Falkirk team four times last season where guys like Nesbitt, Donaldson, Henderson, Mackie went missing.

Like I said, a few additions and I'm sure you'll have a fine season, maybe the invincible season will help with recruitment and general belief but the Championship is a different kettle of fish.

Edited by The Toun Clock

40 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We'll absolutely need a few bits of quality added or we'll end up struggling like you lot did this season but the majority of our existing squad are more than capable of playing in the championship.

Shiteing it..........

The point is that yes, of course, you have a squad capable of playing in the Championship. However, unless you get completely detached from the bottom 2 spots early doors (obviously like United, Raith & Partick did) then you spend the whole fucking season looking over your shoulder every week and that's a different kind of pressure from anything your "Championship ready" players will have faced over the last few seasons. It'll be interesting to see how they react to a couple of defeats.

Personally I think you'll do OK.

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Yawn!

Being honest, wtf would any of you lot know about the requirement for Championship games having spent so long down there.

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

It'll be interesting to see how an established league one side do in a league full of experience at this level. 

Yeh would have thought teams with more recent championship experience like Alloa, Cove, Queens or Hamilton might have kept the league one long termers in their place, for peace on the forum I wish they had.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Yeh would have thought teams with more recent championship experience like Alloa, Cove, Queens or Hamilton might have kept the league one long termers in their place, for peace on the forum I wish they had.

Away and don't talk shite. You want us back, and here we are baby. 

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 17:26, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Falkirk will finish above us too. I think their squad this season is pretty comparable to ours last season, with us having the edge in goal, probably centre back and full back and the manager. They probably have a better midfield and up front. And scoring goals was our biggest problem this season, whereas Airdrie outscored us last season and finished in the top 4. They have some players who will be decent in the Championship (Lang, Spencer, Morrison, Miller) and the interesting thing will be if they can get a decent goalkeeper and if McIver can make the step up. Just hope it's not another Raith scenario and we lose all 4 to them... 

A pretty reasonable post and assessment of our position IMO @Salvo Montalbano.

We've definitely improved significantly since we last played the Pars, when to be fair McPake and you guys largely had our number that season.

Our achilles heel (if it can be termed that strongly) at the moment is definitely in goals. Our goals against column was decent this season but I think that's been more because we've spent much of the games in possession and in attack and the defence has improved significantly. Hogarth is a decent shot stopper but doesn't command his 6 yard box well enough (as yet). He is young ish and will improve and I'm happy he's resigned but I'd be hoping it is as back up to someone who commands their box more - its not been announced officially yet but we are supposed to be signing Stone and the feedback is good on him. We had a rotation system between our 2 goalkeepers this season which was unusual, I'm not sure that will happen next season in a more competitive league.

You're also right on McIver. Everyone (quite rightly) loves him at the club, his attitude, work rate, holding up, lay offs are all excellent. He's also added some goals and assists to his game. Having said that most fans agree that we need better competition for his place. He's absolutely earned the right to start next season for us though, unless any new signing is a significant uplift.

Everywhere else we are very happy, we carry a real goal threat from all over the pitch (albeit its been against League 1 opposition). We have re-signed all of our best players on long term contracts and there is real harmony in the squad which means we "should" know what we are doing in the way we play from day 1 in the Championship. McGlynn has done well in the transfer markets both on permanent contracts and loans. Looks like we have added Mckenna from Arbroath for experience (our oldest player when McGinn leaves is 29). There are a few contracts that are undecided yet and they may well make a difference - Ethan Ross would be good to keep and if we could Dylan Tait would be an excellent signing from Hibs if they let him go.

Most Bairns are rightly optimistic about the coming season, for a number of reasons, but having spent 5 years in the wilderness we're not getting carried away. We're looking forward to renewing old rivalries with many of the teams and fans in the Championship

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

Some laugh when you see McPake lavishing praise on Chalmers and O'Halloran on the official website.

If he hasn't learnt after this season that they're not good enough for the level we aspire to be, it will cost him his job early next season.