Peep Show

nelsjfc

I enjoyed the final instalment. The door is ajar for a return sometime down the line, but if that's all it's supposed to be then I think they played the ending about right. I've put my brief thoughts as a spoiler for the benefit of those who haven't yet watched it.

Whilst some part of me wanted Mark to finish up happy with April, he did nothing to justify such a favourable ending. In some senses, he is a victim of his ongoing cowardice and hypocrisy. In this episode, these traits are most obviously reflected in his refusal to resist Jeremy and Hans' capture of Angus, and he is essentially complicit in a morally impermissible act merely to benefit his own selfish desires. Ultimately, Mark and Jeremy deserve each other, and boast many more common characteristics than either might feel comfortable acknowledging. Neither Mark nor Jeremy warrant being anywhere more comfortable than where they started out - or with anyone other than one another. The ending perhaps isn't the most exciting or dramatic, but it is the most fitting.

How could there be a more perfect ending? It's them two, sitting in the living room watching inane TV, having a completely and utterly ridiculous conversation, in a weird way, and ending with Jez thinking they love each other and Mark thinking about how to get rid of him.

It was perfect, IMO, and I think it perfectly left the door open for more episodes.

I liked the fact that April believed that her husband had texted her that he didn't want to see her anymore and was off to Ibiza.

What annoyed me was my girlfriend immediately going "so they've taken his phone then" as April read out the text, while I say being stupid and taking time to catch up on the obvious scenario in play.

I kicked her in the pie.

You fucking idiot, Jeremy! You total fucking idiot! That was YOUR job, you fucking moron! You cretin! YOU'RE A FUCKHEAD! THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE! A FUCKING SHITHEAD!

It was a joke. It was a Christmas joke.