Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Bloody hell don't shoot the messenger I'm just passing on my well wishes :guntoting

Given that behind the scenes issues have been creating more serious threats than simply "dark rumours about the future of the club" for much of the last 15 or so years, I'll politely decline the opportunity to get my knickers overly twisted at this moment in time.

1 hour ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Hearing some dark rumours about the future of the club. All for rivalries etc but hoping what I'm hearing isn't true.

We've been hearing those for years, pal.

We have a team that can win it, I don't think many Sons fans disagree with that. The question remains if we have the mental discipline to win it. There have been encouraging signs in the last two months though.

The playoffs are a bit of a law unto themselves. So we absolutely could win them and I'm going in more confident than the previous two seasons combined. It's the first time I've looked forward to the playoffs since we won them under Alan Adamson (albeit three of the four campaigns since were to avoid relegation. Which isn't a great buzz).

As we've seen with a ropey Brechin side winning them in 2016/17 and us defeating an Arbroath side who outscored us points wise comfortably (thanks to a ridiculous Stephen Grindlay performance) in 2011/12, there isn't really any way of telling how they'll go.

Being a Sons fan has been really hard work since that night in Shropshire. It would be nice to have something to really get excited about again. Dare to dream and all that.

14 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

As we've seen with a ropey Brechin side winning them in 2016/17 and us defeating an Arbroath side who outscored us points wise comfortably (thanks to a ridiculous Stephen Grindlay performance) in 2011/12, there isn't really any way of telling how they'll go.

That Stephen Grindlay performance away to Arbroath that day was one of the greatest I've ever witnessed.

17 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Hearing that we may be going into these playoffs cursed…

17 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Faz has got his hands on a trophy...

This went over my head last night but I now understand what you were talking about. 

50 minutes ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

That Stephen Grindlay performance away to Arbroath that day was one of the greatest I've ever witnessed.

I spoke to an Arbroath fan on leaving the ground and he said that was the best visiting goalkeeping performance he'd seen in 40 years of attending Gayfield.

1 hour ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

I’d followed Dumbarton on and off before that game in Arbroath but Stevie Grindlays heroics and the next two games against Airdrie made me fall in love with the sons. Kind of wish Stevie had chucked a couple in up at Arbroath now and spared me the misery of the last few years 😂

1 hour ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

I had to sit a Saturday exam at uni and missed that game. Given how nerve-shredding it sounded, it might have been for the best.

7 hours ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

He was heroic that day. One of the best performances I have seen in a Sons shirt.

I had a mini panic attack due to the backs to the wall nature of the game in the second half and spent most of the second 45 with my back to the game having it described to me. Like that bit in A Shot At Glory.

I followed the game on twitter which was excruciating. Iirc, the signal disappeared at Gayfield towards the end and I had to wait for confirmation on the radio which took an absolute age.