Sons' sorrow

Hard to compare as they both have their strengths. Stirling has outrageous feet and will skin players for fun. Watch any Stranraer highlights towards the end of last season (Dunfermline 4-1, Livingston 5-2, Ayr playoff finals) - was as good as I've seen him.

Would argue that you're getting a player in the peak of his abilities, whereas Gibson's best days are behind him, although he's a standout at League One level and still deadly from a set piece.

Sounds good, he certainly looked very dece during the playoffs and Stevie was all over him. My only slight concern is that we tend to try and sit back and hit teams on the break, and that style might not suit him. Although we certainly needed a player capable of a bit of magic out of nothing last season. Plenty of hardoworking, 'honest' players and not enough quality was an issue.

The first two signings of this season have impressed me, certainly the sort of players we should be going for, maybe Patience is the key afterall.

I'm reliably informed Craig Pettigrew will definitely be joining you.

That's been rumored for a while here as well, what do you make of him? He seems to be a solid but completely unspectacular defender with poor distribution going by other comments. If so he'll fit right in at the rock, is he the lad with the long throw?

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

That's been rumored for a while here as well, what do you make of him? He seems to be a solid but completely unspectacular defender with poor distribution going by other comments. If so he'll fit right in at the rock, is he the lad with the long throw?

Pretty much spot on. Would add that he'll literally shoot from anywhere, and loves a Hollywood pass. Having said that he's been a great servant for us and would run through walls for the team. Very nice bloke as well.

Pretty much spot on. Would add that he'll literally shoot from anywhere, and loves a Hollywood pass. Having said that he's been a great servant for us and would run through walls for the team. Very nice bloke as well.

He sounds pretty much like a clone of Mark Docherty, minus the crossing ability.  I'd be pretty happy with that if so.

'Would run through walls for the team' sounds like the type of player Stevie tends to go for.

I just hope we compliment these guys with some creativity. By all accounts Stirling sounds like he will provide plenty of it but I'd like more creative players than we had last year to compliment all the grafters.

I wonder if the (potential) signing of Pettigrew could mean one of our CBs will not be returning and Stevie is planning to fill the void with the Mantis.

'Would run through walls for the team' sounds like the type of player Stevie tends to go for.

I just hope we compliment these guys with some creativity. By all accounts Stirling sounds like he will provide plenty of it but I'd like more creative players than we had last year to compliment all the grafters.

I wonder if the (potential) signing of Pettigrew could mean one of our CBs will not be returning and Stevie is planning to fill the void with the Mantis.

I thought pettigrew was a CB by trade?

I thought pettigrew was a CB by trade?

Think, like the Mantis, he was but has spent most of his time playing at RB. I'd imagine if we keep the Mantis it'll be to play at RB, I certainly hope it is as I can't deal with another season on long balls to nobody. He looked far more at home there against Alloa.

I know it's early, but here's how we could line up next season if players sign. *  beside those who haven't

Jamie Ewings

Craig Pettiegrew Steven Saunders* Darren Barr* Mark Docherty*

Andy Stirling XXXX Garry Fleming* XXXX

Robert Thomson XXXX

I have a reasonable idea who the central midfield XXXX might be, perhaps Ryan Conroy, local lad let go by QOTS, could be the man for left-midfield and someone like Greig Spence (who I believe is staying p/t) to play upfront with Rab. Of course you could stick Gaz up there, but I'd rather see him in midfield. 

Stirling was one of the worst players in the worst ever Pars team. Think he'll be a good player for Dumbarton though, as you're not managed by a total fucking dinosaur.

You've nailed it with the last part - that Dunfermline team was managed dreadfully. He had a great season with us prior to going to EEP, and another very decent season when he came back to us. He looked totally out of sorts at Dunfermline.

Dumbarton FC â€@Dumbartonfc 26s26 seconds ago

If you were excited on Tuesday about new DFC signings, brace yourself for what will be a #TerrificThursday! Strap yourself in! #newseason

ooft

I've just had a wee in my seat with the excitement.

Actually that happens anyway, but I'll blame the excitement.