NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 20/12/2023 at 10:08, Swarley said:

@Boo Khaki still no word on the HC situation? (apart from the interim appointment). 

It's all just rumours and gossip for now. I wouldn't expect anything solid for at least a month yet anyway. The guys who are usually on the money with Chargers-related stuff are all saying the same thing, i.e. that the ownership does not want another first time co-ordinator hire, so I think Johnson, Bieniemy, Slowik and so on are out of the picture, with only really Ben Johnson being a fallback if they can't get the guy they want. They are all reporting there is mutual interest between LAC and Jim Harbaugh, but that could just be Harbaugh feeling the ground out in case he decides to walk away from Michigan and college football. My gut feeling is that the talk of avoiding first-timers is true enough, but I also have a hunch that if they can't get anything done with Harbaugh, rather than BB or Mike Tomlin coaching the Chargers next season it will be Dan Quinn or Jim fucking Schwartz.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

I did wonder, with only 3 games left, whether they'd stick with an Interim HC and make an appointment in the off season.

Popper says the decision to fire Staley had already been taken and they were planning to do it on Black Monday, but the non-performance in Las Vegas made it completely untenable to keep him in the job for the final three weeks. 

There was no chance they were going to appoint anyone permanently for the final 3 games. Hardly anyone available and nobody already on the staff is really qualified, but on top of that, it would cause problems with existing staff because anyone new from outside the organisation is going to want to review the situation and have the option to sweep clean and bring in their new guys.  I think they will also want tacit approval on the HC hire from whoever they have in mind for GM, so I think unless it's a situation whereby they agree in principle to a deal with Harbaugh to come after the college Championship and he's open-minded about the identity of any potential GM, I think a GM announcement will likely come first. They won't be as restricted in terms of front-office negotiations and hires until the playoffs are resolved as the would be with coaches and coaching staff hires.

The last time they were in this situation was when they let Norv Turner go, and although he didn't play a part in his recruitment, they did ask Tom Telesco for his view on potentially hiring Mike McCoy as HC and whether he felt that would be a workable relationship. I doubt that would have been enough to put him off the job entirely, but it's why I think it's fair to hold Telesco accountable for three consecutive failed coaching hires. He could have said no, and I think the Chargers would have looked at other candidates and still given Telesco the job. GM usually has hierarchy over the HC, and that's always been the case as far as the Chargers are concerned. They backed the GM over both Bobby Ross and Marty Schottenheimer.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 22/12/2023 at 00:06, Swarley said:

I did wonder, with only 3 games left, whether they'd stick with an Interim HC and make an appointment in the off season.

That’s almost always how it goes if any HC is fired mid-season in the NFL. The seasons are so short that you might as well just wait until it’s over to go through the whole hiring process.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Broncos are benching Russell Wilson. 

Jarred Stidham to start 

A lot of folk assuming it means Wilson will be getting cut which would leave the Broncos with a massive dead cap hit.

Wilson's agent must be a genius as he is due a very large wad of guaranteed cash in the off season should he fail a medical. It's possible that the Broncos are just making sure that he remains fit and they avoid that payout.

On 27/12/2023 at 13:53, Raidernation said:

Hell you had to wait til he was dead to nominate the Snake!

The Snake got his a couple of years back, also he only has one ring.

I’m referring to Jim Plunkett. 2 rings and one SB MVP as well.

20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Then bench him because he's shite. There's plenty of evidence to support that this season.

Defo, but to tell him restructure or get benched is a lawyer's dream.