North Korea

You really can't compare North Korea to Iraq. In the event of a war, North Korea has a massive ground force in itself who have been drilled to fight to the last. Were the event to actually occur, you'd have a massive lose of life in the first place. Should the North Korean regime crumble, then you'd have to ask what would replace it. China would hardly be thrilled at seeing a unified democratic Korean peninsula, and while it wouldn't likely cause World War 3 it would raise questions of the next step.

It'd probably be just as realistic for the Chinese to phase Kim Jong-un out and have their own handpicked leader who would gradually change them over time.

I remember the first gulf war and the days leading up to the "invasion" and we kept hearing on the news about the numbers of the Iraqi army and its well equiped special guard who would fight until the death, all different experts estimating the death toll etc etc

The reality was as soon as the ground force moved accross the border the Iraqi`s were surrendering in the thousands into the realtive safety of the allied forces, I can see the same happening in NK if a ground attack were even launched. (which I never think would happen anyway)

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is two extremes of governance. One being the New World Order etc etc

I was working in Manchester today and there was a rather noisy demonstration against the murdering b*****ds that are ATOS (apparently). Anyway, the dispute with ATOS seemed to extend as far as "you can stick your new world order up your arse". There were several verses but with a dodgy megaphone and closed windows it was difficult to make much more out. Anyway, the point was noted ... by me at least.

I remember the first gulf war and the days leading up to the "invasion" and we kept hearing on the news about the numbers of the Iraqi army and its well equiped special guard who would fight until the death, all different experts estimating the death toll etc etc

The reality was as soon as the ground force moved accross the border the Iraqi`s were surrendering in the thousands into the realtive safety of the allied forces, I can see the same happening in NK if a ground attack were even launched. (which I never think would happen anyway)

We bombed the shit out of the Republican Guard for weeks before any boots on the ground (apart from special forces), after knocking out their air force and air defenses in a few days. I doubt the North Koreans would do much better, but they could probably do horrible damage to Seoul and other places in the South with missiles, conventional and otherwise before collapsing. And the Iraqis kept enough in reserve to crush Shia and at least limit Kurdish uprisings at the end of the war.

P.S. Mind you, the North Korean missiles might be just as ineffectual as the Iraqi ones turned out to be...

We bombed the shit out of the Republican Guard for weeks before any boots on the ground (apart from special forces), after knocking out their air force and air defenses in a few days. I doubt the North Koreans would do much better, but they could probably do horrible damage to Seoul and other places in the South with missiles, conventional and otherwise before collapsing. And the Iraqis kept enough in reserve to crush Shia and at least limit Kurdish uprisings at the end of the war.

P.S. Mind you, the North Korean missiles might be just as ineffectual as the Iraqi ones turned out to be...

Not in the first Gulf war we didn't......they had to be driven out of Kuwait first.

Did they not bomb Iraq as opposed to destroying the Country & infrastructure they had a mandate to liberate & protect?

Aye, but even Saddam knew he wasn't going to hold onto Kuwait, he was more worried about personal survival. So he withdrew the Guards and left a load of conscripts to put up some token resistance. This is just how I remember it. I also remember an interview with a young Kuwaiti after the war saying how much he hated the Iraqis, but at least you could hold your girlfriend's hand in public under occupation without getting arrested. And a young Kuwaiti girl claiming she had been in a hospital in Kuwait while Iraqi soldiers threw babies out of incubators to ship them to Baghdad, while she was actually in the Kuwaiti embassy in Washington living with her Dad, the Ambassador.

Was that not when all the Iraqis trying to escape were killed on the "Highway of Death"?

"Haw, Ahmed. Get that widescreen telly in the boot, we're gaun hame"

"Right ye are Mo. What way are we goin'?"

"Well looking at this map, it looks like it's a wee run up the Highway o Death"

"Barry! What could possibly go wrang?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32716749

Say one thing for the North Koreans, they dont f**k about! :blink:

MPs were told Mr Hyon was killed on 30 April by anti-aircraft fire in front of an audience of hundreds, the Yonhap news agency reports.

It said Mr Hyon had fallen asleep during an event attended by Kim Jong-un and had not carried out instructions.

f**k sake!

If he was killed by anti-aircraft fire, was he made to fly an aircraft about for a bit then shot down in flames in a blaze of glory?

i've read about this before.

they are tied to a post in a field and an anti-aircraft weapon is fired at the location. think the term is screw that.

Archived