Pubs around Hampden

Iv got some friends coming over from abroad and I'm looking to take them to a Pub near Hampden with a bit of atmosphere pre match. I'm not that good when it comes to South side of Glasgow's pub knowledge! Any suggestions would be good.

Wherever you go near Hampden you're going to face massive queues at the bar, but generally I always head for The Montford on the East side of the Stadium for Internationals. Alternatively, for club games, I used the Clockwork on the West side (that's the side of the stadium we had for both games). Both decent enough pubs, the secret in the Montford I always go for with my mates is to try and get a table early and then buy our beer in 24 bottle crates from the bar. Means we only have to go to the bar once or twice the whole time.

I sometimes go to the 100 Acre pub on the east side of the ground, as far as I can remember it's a 10 -20 minute walk from the ground though. The Clockwork has always been packed when I've been at Hampden for a game, same with The Montford.

What I've started doing now if I get train through from Falkirk is just drink in the pubs around George Square and get a taxi to the ground or use the free train from Central to Mount Florida.

Cheers guys, I was wondering the same, drink in city centre and then head off an hour or more before game.

I always remember going to a pub around Hampden when I was about 18 before games and it had a phenomenal atmosphere before it and can remember where or what it was called now :(

Not really near Hampden but there's a place in the Merchant City called the Polo Lounge that's football fan friendly. Always plenty of cabs outside so I'd nip in there.

The two pubs in Battlefield seem to have recently embarked on a price war to draw in the punters. Currently, the Langside does pints of Coors for £2.49, and Armstrongs do a pint of Carling for £2.29. Both decent boozers too, never any trouble.

Clockwork is your best bet and is on the right side of Hampden for Falkirks ticket allocation. Great range of beers. Was in there before the Celtic semi and it wasn't too rammed, although it is plastic glasses on match days. Opens at 11 on a Saturday according to their website so chance for a few quick scoops before the game.

A civilised way to enjoy a prematch drink near Hampden is to book a table at the Shezan Tandoori for whatever time they open (usually about 12), then enjoy a leisurely lunch while getting the beers in on table service. They've never rushed us out the door, and it's less that 5 minutes walk from the ground.

http://shezantandoorirestaurant.co.uk/

A civilised way to enjoy a prematch drink near Hampden is to book a table at the Shezan Tandoori for whatever time they open (usually about 12), then enjoy a leisurely lunch while getting the beers in on table service. They've never rushed us out the door, and it's less that 5 minutes walk from the ground.

http://shezantandoorirestaurant.co.uk/

Game kicks off at 12.30.

Clockwork is your best bet and is on the right side of Hampden for Falkirks ticket allocation. Great range of beers. Was in there before the Celtic semi and it wasn't too rammed, although it is plastic glasses on match days. Opens at 11 on a Saturday according to their website so chance for a few quick scoops before the game.

This. Get there early, buy 3 pints and take them out to the beer garden if you don't like queuing and getting swamped.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

We went to the Queens Park Cafe after the Scottish Cup final- no bad boozer. The barmaid was utterly pished and if my mate hadn't been an honest god fearing Edinburgh City supporter we might have got away with a free round...

Archived