Reasons to be Cheerful

So, it turns out the bairns cooking contest is a bit bigger than I thought. If he gets through this round, he moves on to the regional's then the national's, against others from the rest of the UK.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, he has to make it through the Tayside round first, in January. For this round he is doing Duck a l'orange. He made an attempt at it tonight, tastes absolutely beautiful, sauce and duck cooked excellently, fondant potatoes were a wee bit salty and needs to char his orange segments a bit more. Needs to let the duck rest before plating too. But this can all be worked on. All in, a really excellent attempt.

20221220_190602.jpg

Edited by johnnydun

48 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So, it turns out the bairns cooking contest is a bit bigger than I thought. If he gets through this round, he moves on to the regional's then the national's, against others from the rest of the UK.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, he has to make it through the Tayside round first, in January. For this round he is doing Duck a l'orange. He made an attempt at it tonight, tastes absolutely beautiful, sauce and duck cooked excellently, fondant potatoes were a wee bit salty and needs to char his orange segments a bit more. Needs to let the duck rest before plating too. But this can all be worked on. All in, a really excellent attempt.

See also tonight's Aberdeen v The Rangers thread. Duk v The Orange.

But that looks good. Good luck to the bairn from here on!

Was meant to be working Tommorow till 8.30pm stocktaking, then 3 hours on Thursday. But due to us doing a fair bit of counting last week and things being spot on, we are now finishing at 4pm Tommorow and getting Thursday as an additional holiday. Also got a bottle of jura, a bottle of rum, and 30 quid cash. Good bloody day.

On 06/12/2022 at 14:47, scottsdad said:

The Prof is laid up having had hand surgery last week. I told the wife and the conversation went like this.

"He had an operation on his hand."

"Was it a wanking injury?"

"No, he said it was a long-standing-"

"Wanking. He injured himself wanking."

"This is the second operation he has had."

"Yep. For wanking."

Tell scottsmum she's welcome to open an account on here any time, if she hasn't already.

12 hours ago, johnnydun said:

20221220_190602.jpg

My eldest was quite proud that she managed to heat up half a tin of beans and sausage without damage or injury. Lightly charred oranges can probably be overlooked.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My eldest was quite proud that she managed to heat up half a tin of beans and sausage without damage or injury. Lightly charred oranges can probably be overlooked.

😂

Yes indeed, I always feel I sound like a twat when I criticise his food, but he tells me he prefers it that way (although I know he is flicking me the bird as soon as I am out the room!). I can't cook at all and he is only 14, his mum has been his influence in all this, but he likes my honesty. I have told him he is doing fantastically well, but there's slight room for improvement.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

😂

Yes indeed, I always feel I sound like a twat when I criticise his food, but he tells me he prefers it that way (although I know he is flicking me the bird as soon as I am out the room!). I can't cook at all and he is only 14, his mum has been his influence in all this, but he likes my honesty. I have told him he is doing fantastically well, but there's slight room for improvement.

Genuine reason to be cheerful. He's just 14, but with practise and your TorodeandWallace-like encouragement he'll soon discover that being a decent cook is the real babe magnet. No flash car needed. Wish I'd known that as a teenager.

20 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Genuine reason to be cheerful. He's just 14, but with practise and your TorodeandWallace-like encouragement he'll soon discover that being a decent cook is the real babe magnet. No flash car needed. Wish I'd known that as a teenager.

Good luck to him. Just make sure he doesn't turn out to be a c**t like Gordon Ramsay.

30 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

I was fortunate enough to learn to cook at a young age and my 14 year old daughters showing an interest in making things.  She's not a massive cake fan, but loves baking, she's now looking at different soups and sauces etc.  It is a genuine reason to be happy, she's still an ignorant wee sh*t though.

34 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Yes, the competition itself is promoted by Michel Roux jr, Monica Guletti, Tom Kerridge etc, former competitors are now Michelin star chefs. I know I'm getting ahead of myself right now but he is just bursting with confidence right now.

17 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Good luck to him. Just make sure he doesn't turn out to be a c**t like Gordon Ramsay.

He thinks Ramsay's attitude in the kitchen is excellent, if I let him swear, I know for certain he would tell me to f**k off! Haha.