Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Nothing enlightened about a sectarian organisation marching through the streets celebrating a religious war and triumphing unionism , whilst their ranks are filled with people who haven't seen the inside of a church since they were at school and statistically speaking a fair wad of them voted SNP, a vile organisation supported by hypocrites and bigots, a total embarrassment to a modern society.

You were doing so very well up until the last third where you posted your very own prejudiced bigoted belief! :lol:

Which religious war was this? I have no idea what you're talking about.

They celebrate the Battle of the Boyne because it was the culmination of an ethnoreligious conflict in Ireland which secured the Protestant Ascendancy. I can only presume that you're hinting that you have some tedious facts about some of the professional soldiers on either side being of the opposite denomination from what you'd expect, as though this indicates anything.

Personally, although I have distaste for the marches going by my window playing tuneless fucking rubbish when I'm trying to nurse a hangover, one look at all of the Hyacinth Buckets and Mr Benns being followed around by neds with carry outs makes you feel a lot better about yourself and your life.

Unfortunately though, I'll be away for it this year.

Edited by The OP

It's quite funny how protestants were the ones who got burnt to death by Catholics, but Protestants are the bad ones and the bigots. People are outraged at the OO for defending Protestant civil and religious liberties, talk about being bigoted....

You couldn't be more immature in supporting your position, no one says one side is worse historically than the other.

I'm puzzled though why the OO in defending their Protestant civil and religious liberties as you call it feel the need to march through hard Catholic areas of towns and cities to get their message across, all seems provocative, paranoid and completely unnecessary. Not sure what the OO need to defend themselves from.

......old age and the 21st Century ????.

Edited by CityDave

It's quite funny how protestants were the ones who got burnt to death by Catholics, but Protestants are the bad ones and the bigots. People are outraged at the OO for defending Protestant civil and religious liberties, talk about being bigoted....

"Defending Protestant civil and religious liberties"

:lol: You talk some shite.

Of course it is. Fuxace.. We have a constitutional settlement which places an elected government ahead of the monarchy, This is what folk are walking to celebrate.

There was no constitutional settlement of that sort secured at the Boyne - many of those "elected" Parliamentarians were in pocket or Rotten Burghs. What was passed was largely the political classes doing what they'd done since Runnymede - ensuring their own aggrandisement & bugger the peasants. You'd have to wait until 1832 until you had any sort of meaningful elected government ahead of the monarchy, & that was thanks to another King William - Silly Billy - sacking the Duke Of Wellington & putting Gray back into power to make the constitutional changes required to prevent a revolution similar to those happening in various parts of Europe.

Much of the Glorious Revolution (or the Glorious Muddle as it ought to have been named - 1688 & All That being British history's "Terry & June" episode) was merely a rewind to the sort of Cromwellian settlement that would have been put in place had Charles I not proven to be such a muppet.

The only real political outcome of the Battle of the Boyne was the complete humiliation of William of Orange & The Papacy's critics that had said his "blasphemous" alliance with the Pope would be forbidden by God from ever having a victory on the field of battle (Cardinal Richelieu's sending of French troops to save the Protestant Swiss from the Hapsburgs decades before being dismissed as an aberration as he was considered to have been in league with the devil). If it was a victory for anything, it was a victory for secularism.

Edited by WaffenThinMint

"Defending Protestant civil and religious liberties"

:lol: You talk some shite.

Exactly, this is how he reveals his true nature despite using all the usual weasel words that modern day bigots use to hide it. Defending protestantism from what? Those other terrible religions, that's what. Sheer bigotry, pure and simple.

There was no constitutional settlement of that sort secured at the Boyne - many of those "elected" Parliamentarians were in pocket or Rotten Burghs. What was passed was largely the political classes doing what they'd done since Runnymede - ensuring their own aggrandisement & bugger the peasants. You'd have to wait until 1832 until you had any sort of meaningful elected government ahead of the monarchy, & that was thanks to another King William - Silly Billy - sacking the Duke Of Wellington & putting Gray back into power to make the constitutional changes required to prevent a revolution similar to those happening in various parts of Europe.

Much of the Glorious Revolution (or the Glorious Muddle as it ought to have been named - 1688 & All That being British history's "Terry & June" episode) was merely a rewind to the sort of Cromwellian settlement that would have been put in place had Charles I not proven to be such a muppet.

The only real political outcome of the Battle of the Boyne was the complete humiliation of William of Orange & The Papacy's critics that had said his "blasphemous" alliance with the Pope would be forbidden by God from ever having a victory on the field of battle (Cardinal Richelieu's sending of French troops to save the Protestant Swiss from the Hapsburgs decades before being dismissed as an aberration as he was considered to have been in league with the devil). If it was a victory for anything, it was a victory for secularism.

You took the words right out my mouth.

I said it earlier. The revolution of 1688 placed parliament above monarchy. This is worth celebrating.

And with this post, we may well have arrived at the crux of the issue at the bottom of this case.

The constitution settlement at this time is indeed important - nae crucial, in fact.

Here's where we differ, though:

1 - It's not worth celebrating; (it's worth remembering, but not celebrating)

2 - The way that this event is 'celebrated' is embarrassing;

3 - Very few of your 'brothers' will be 'celebrating' for the reasons you mention - for them, it's all about getting it up Roman Catholics, because, for their own biggoted reasons, they hate them.

Not certain that all of this is quite right, but it's an excellent post, isn't it?

And with this post, we may well have arrived at the crux of the issue at the bottom of this case.

The constitution settlement at this time is indeed important - nae crucial, in fact.

Here's where we differ, though:

1 - It's not worth celebrating; (it's worth remembering, but not celebrating)

2 - The way that this event is 'celebrated' is embarrassing;

3 - Very few of your 'brothers' will be 'celebrating' for the reasons you mention - for them, it's all about getting it up Roman Catholics, because, for their own biggoted reasons, they hate them.

This.

Everyone I know who are involved in the "celebrations" as you put it, are only there to get it right fuckin up the Catholics and most ordinary members of the human race by saying look at what we can do.

I'm a member of the Church of Scotland and I'd be horrified if the defence of my civil or religious liberties were dependent on these skunks. Frankly I'd be a lot happier if every town got together and had a march involving different faiths, atheists, agnostics and anyone else to celebrate the values of freedom of speech, freedom of right to choose and freedom of cultures that comes from living in this country. I absolutely don't need defended so you can wrap that pish.

To be fair, it's precisely this sort of wishy-washy attitude that has led to the CoS becoming a running joke/irrelevancy to society. You already went all John Knox/Scotland is the New Jerusalem crazy on us, at least stay the course.