Ryder Cup 2014

Jamie_B

After all the chat about it I read Azinger's book the last couple of nights. Hardly Mike Brearley stuff.

What his amazing set up boils down to is:

Break players into groups of 4 who are all of similar personality types rather than playing styles

Use home advantage to tailor the course to your players where appropriate (an option only available to one captain)

Say the right things to the right player

It helps if the opposition captain is a monumental penis, and one who you want to beat so badly you can dedicate two years of your life to it.

Admittedly he did use the 4 captain picks thing quite well, getting the 8 already qualified players plus Stricker (who was a unanimous pick from the vice captains) to each pick a man for the team that would complete their own groups of 4.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faldo proved beyond all doubt that being a great player doesn't guarantee that you'll be any good in a management role. The biggest surprise was how bad he was doing the media stuff, opening ceremony etc considering he works on TV.

Captains make f**k all difference in the Ryder cup. If they did, the Ryder cup captaincy wouldn't be handed around like a badge of honour. I don't see the connection between nick faldo being a dick and players missing putts

Captains make f**k all difference in the Ryder cup. If they did, the Ryder cup captaincy wouldn't be handed around like a badge of honour.

I'd agree with that. I don't get why the US team are wanting Azinger to repeat as Captain for 2016. It's the play over the 3 days, not the head honcho in the headset. Just 'cos you've won it before as Captain doesn't mean you will again. Case in point: Watson.

I'd agree with that. I don't get why the US team are wanting Azinger to repeat as Captain for 2016. It's the play over the 3 days, not the head honcho in the headset. Just 'cos you've won it before as Captain doesn't mean you will again. Case in point: Watson.

Probably because they don't get that.

Amuhrika is the greatest sporting nation on the planet, so if their guys lose, it must be someone on their side's fault. When they win, everyone must have done a great job - the opposition have no influence.

Guest The Phoenix
Captains make f**k all difference in the Ryder cup. If they did, the Ryder cup captaincy wouldn't be handed around like a badge of honour. I don't see the connection between nick faldo being a dick and players missing putts

That's probably up there with Faldo's captaincy for being utter bilge.

Motivation makes a hell of a difference. Faldo whilst an awesome player in and out the ryder cup, i've always thought he came across as a bit of a dick and felt the tour only gave him the job because they felt they had to because of his stature.

Monty can also be a dick but he used things like messages from (the then very ill) Seve to help motivate the players.

That brought some serious emotion to the contest.

Watson was chosen for the job (maybe coz no one else wanted it) but despite all he's achieved in golf he's out of touch with the modern days players, all of his vice captains were of similar age to him apart from stricker.

If he had done the same as mcginley in using former captains then it might have helped. Azinger/pavin could have brought some fire to the team.

The mental side of golf is vital. Helping get the players properly ready mentally is a key part of the captain's role in the Ryder Cup. That doesn't mean the better prepared player will always win, but over the piece it gives the team an edge.

I suspect the people who chose Faldo as captain knew there was a good chance he'd screw it up, but felt it was better to get his shot at it over and done with.

Guest The Phoenix

Didn't get a chance to watch the closing ceremony on Sunday so watching it just now. Watson talking about arriving and leaving united. Oops!

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Sir Alex?

The fact that you regard Ronan Rafferty as some mysterious figure whose face you cannot summon, tells us all we need to know about the validity of your views.

Always had a lot of time for him, but felt that Mickelson's post match dissection of Watson was uncharacteristically classless. Watson may not have been the most effective leader, but he was one of the game's true greats, an elder statesman who deserved more respect. Mickelson's talk of pods is probably indicative of the difficulties in managing the American 'team.' It's a group of disparate and sometimes egocentric individuals, all with their own agendas. It must be like herding cats at times. The performance of the rookies gives them hope for the future though.

Yes, I'd spent much of last Saturday night banging on, on here, about what a class act Mickelson was.

He was clearly very annoyed at being dropped, angry at how the team had been managed and felt empowered by the point he'd secured in the singles. To launch into a diminished looking Watson in that way however, was pretty poor.

I daresay that much of what he said was fair, but not at that time or place.

Of course the Captain makes a difference ffs!

This is the sort of reductive chat you get from idiots down the pub saying there's no need for football managers, "just let the team pick itself". :wacko:

nah football is a team game. Golf isnt. The captain has key decisions to make but they are limited to deciding wildcards and playing orders. Tbh I could have picked his wildcards and told the players to play with their pals. The players that make the puts will win matches. If Paul mcginlay was so good at motivating the players then why isn't there a queue of pros desperate to sign him up as a coach. And why on earth would you need motivation to play in the Ryder cup?

Guest The Phoenix

If Paul mcginlay was so good at motivating the players then why isn't there a queue of pros desperate to sign him up as a coach.

Probably because he isn't interested in being one but don't let that get in the way of your ridiculous claim that the captain does make a difference to the outcome of the Ryder Cup.

Sparky88, captaining the Ryder Cup team has nothing to do with coaching players, where the coach would spot any flaws in a player's swing and put them right. At Gleneagles the players all had their own coaches with them anyway so it's not part of McGinley's remit.

The fact that you regard Ronan Rafferty as some mysterious figure whose face you cannot summon, tells us all we need to know about the validity of your views.

Aye, I had listed some "one and dones" from the European teams and had the temerity to include a mustached journeyman who I should have recognized. Apologies.

Aye, I had listed some "one and dones" from the European teams and had the temerity to include a mustached journeyman who I should have recognized. Apologies.

Not too bad a journeyman.

Seven European tour wins, topping the Order of Merit in 1989.

Archived