Car advice

18 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

A picture will better explain. Two rears are like this.

IMG_20230816_140119942.jpg

Need replaced ASAP.

I have some Pirellis in stock at £800 each. You'll probably want a spare set, and fitting them is £900 + VAT. If you can bring the car in first thing on Monday, we'll get to the job at some point in December, at which point you'll need winter tyres at £750 each.

Call it £14k for the job, as you're a loyal customer.

Oh, and we'll put it through the MOT before we fit them, fail you, and charge you for another MOT as well. Cheers

18 hours ago, beefybake said:

What brand..?

How old ?   [  Look for the DOT marker, followed by 4 digits..., 2 are the Week, and 2 are the year. Eg DOT 2820   means week 28 of 2020 ].

Had a look. The two rears are from 2019 and Michelin so have been on the car since new, perhaps need a replacement soon? The front one is 2022 and the one I just replaced.

Edited by Ekhibee88

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Need replaced ASAP.

I have some Pirellis in stock at £800 each. You'll probably want a spare set, and fitting them is £900 + VAT. If you can bring the car in first thing on Monday, we'll get to the job at some point in December, at which point you'll need winter tyres at £750 each.

Call it £14k for the job, as you're a loyal customer.

Oh, and we'll put it through the MOT before we fit them, fail you, and charge you for another MOT as well. Cheers

I would say you must work for arnold clark reading that, but then i see you got back to him within 24hrs so I'm not so sure now

3 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Had a look. The two rears are from 2019 and Michelin so have been on the car since new, perhaps need a replacement soon? The front one is 2022 and the one I just replaced.

2019 Michelin’s really shouldn’t be doing that. Do you perhaps either regularity use some type of tyre dressing or park/drive/live around an ozone source? Parking outside with UV exposure will cause tyres to crack a bit sooner, but that seems a bit much. The new tyre you just put in, check its date too. Some stores fail to properly rotate stock, or sell very few of certain sizes, so you should always look.

Tyres should generally be replaced in the 6-7 years range, and certainly at the 10 year mark, however tyre age is not part of an MOT check.

On 26/08/2023 at 22:50, TxRover said:

Tyres should generally be replaced in the 6-7 years range, and certainly at the 10 year mark, however tyre age is not part of an MOT check.

Depends on the vehicle. If you have more than 8 passenger seats the age will be checked. 

(5.2.3.(m)) & (5.2.3(n)) 

Edited by HoBNob

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Depends on the vehicle. If you have more than 8 passenger seats the age will be checked. 

(5.2.3.(m)) & (5.2.3(n)) 

On 26/08/2023 at 17:49, alta-pete said:

I’m beginning to come round to the idea that @TxRover is in fact an AI bot sent to interact with us all.  Who else would know this kind of shit?

Who’s the bot now?

On 26/08/2023 at 20:06, Ekhibee88 said:

Maybe they've got Covid.

On 26/08/2023 at 22:50, TxRover said:

2019 Michelin’s really shouldn’t be doing that. Do you perhaps either regularity use some type of tyre dressing or park/drive/live around an ozone source? Parking outside with UV exposure will cause tyres to crack a bit sooner, but that seems a bit much. The new tyre you just put in, check its date too. Some stores fail to properly rotate stock, or sell very few of certain sizes, so you should always look.

Car parks outside. Will probably get these replaced soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership but with the age of the car now I really don't want to part with 2-3 hundred pounds. 

It has 65k on the clock. Would taken it to a local garage that would charge approx £100 for an oil and filter change and a basic check up do or am I better taking it to Kia. 

1 hour ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership but with the age of the car now I really don't want to part with 2-3 hundred pounds. 

It has 65k on the clock. Would taken it to a local garage that would charge approx £100 for an oil and filter change and a basic check up do or am I better taking it to Kia. 

Since it’s out of warranty, there’s no compelling reason to have a mains dealer service it. Even in warranty, as long as you maintain proof of proper servicing, they can’t deny a claim (they likely will try to until you push it). As long as the local garage uses the correct parts or reputable aftermarket versions, I’d be very comfortable saving the money. The one thing you lose is the theoretical advantage of a Kia expert looking at the vehicle…but if it’s an oil change, the new lad is doing it anyway at the dealer. Added bonus is establishing a relationship with a local garage, assuming you pick a good one.

2 hours ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership

Hold on, a wee clarification needed. 

Has the wife been serviced yearly by the dealership, or the car?

Edited by scottsdad