Car advice

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

Have you got a Vauxhall? 

If so could be a drop link it'll typically show up on potholes or speed humps  

It's not a vauxhall. Drop link is what I was meaning.

Anyone sold a car on Motorway before? Estimated price for mine is the same as what We Buy Any Car are offering me. Could do without hassle but is it worthwhile continuing with them to see if I can get a bit more?

19 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Anyone sold a car on Motorway before? Estimated price for mine is the same as what We Buy Any Car are offering me. Could do without hassle but is it worthwhile continuing with them to see if I can get a bit more?

I did. A totally painless experience. It seems a kind of a closed shop auction only for registered dealers. 

I think it depends what you are selling though, mine was kinda niche. Got £3k more than WBAC, the chap got the train up from Preston, I picked him up at the train station, he BACS’d me the money as I drove back to the house, he took keys, paperwork etc and off he f**ked.

2 days later it’s on his garage website with a £4K mark up and it sold inside a week. Everyone I think got a win. 

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I did. A totally painless experience. It seems a kind of a closed shop auction only for registered dealers. 

I think it depends what you are selling though, mine was kinda niche. Got £3k more than WBAC, the chap got the train up from Preston, I picked him up at the train station, he BACS’d me the money as I drove back to the house, he took keys, paperwork etc and off he f**ked.

2 days later it’s on his garage website with a £4K mark up and it sold inside a week. Everyone I think got a win. 

It's a Citroen C3 so very much not niche but that's good to know thanks, will give it a bash. 

14 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

It's a Citroen C3 so very much not niche but that's good to know thanks, will give it a bash. 

I think the other point is you’re under no obligation to sell. If you don’t get the price you want, decline to sell and just whip it along to wbac. (Who will likely find 1/2 doz imperfections and knock another £1500 off their initial valuation ..🙄). 

3 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Used them a few times (nothing niche - Corsa, Focus and old Volvo estate) & always pretty straightforward.  They'll give you a revised target price once you've uploaded further information & pics and then put it out to the dealer auction.  Up to you if you want to accept the highest offer or not.  Really quick and I've never had any hassle with the dealers collecting the cars & transferring cash.

On 19/08/2024 at 06:09, RH33 said:

My neighbour used them and ten days after they collected his car called them up to ask where it is......

Have you considered renting yourself out (steady now) to visit dealers forecourts and rain bad luck upon them and their autos with your presence?

On 19/08/2024 at 10:10, Gibby82 said:

I gave them a go for my last X3, they estimated about £3k above we buy, went into their auction didn’t meet the reserve by about £5k.  
Was then pestered for a few weeks with stupid offers from them after I had already off loaded it elsewhere. 
Was a waste of time but didn’t cost me anything but a few emails. 

I think there's an easy fix for this but someone here might know. Sorry if it isn't described well, I'm shite at explaining things like this!

1.3 vvti engine has a rattle in the high rev range. I've heard something before about a different engine that it can be caused by a worn bearing in the cam shaft that activates the variable cam timing.

Sometimes the engine management light comes on and the noise goes away but the car doesn't have as much poke but is perfectly drivable. Then it sorts itself out, the light goes out, the car drives great but the rattle comes back.

It's an old shitter so as long as it's running I'm quite happy.

Is it worth trying to fix it? Does anyone know what I need? Or will it be ok to just to ignore it  (won't cause terminal damage) and live with it until the rest of the car eventually dies? 

Edited by Spyro

On 24/08/2024 at 14:22, Spyro said:

I think there's an easy fix for this but someone here might know. Sorry if it isn't described well, I'm shite at explaining things like this!

1.3 vvti engine has a rattle in the high rev range. I've heard something before about a different engine that it can be caused by a worn bearing in the cam shaft that activates the variable cam timing.

Sometimes the engine management light comes on and the noise goes away but the car doesn't have as much poke but is perfectly drivable. Then it sorts itself out, the light goes out, the car drives great but the rattle comes back.

It's an old shitter so as long as it's running I'm quite happy.

Is it worth trying to fix it? Does anyone know what I need? Or will it be ok to just to ignore it  (won't cause terminal damage) and live with it until the rest of the car eventually dies? 

Sometimes it could be the PCV, but the worn bearing theory is a decent bet. The primary cause of that is oil sludge, do you know how often oil changes have been done on the beast? If it was the "recommended" 10k, and you're over 100k miles, it's a prime candidate for sludged up VVti actuators, causing excessive wear. There is a screen that can be cleaned, but if the bearings are worn, its probably a live with it or spend a decent packet to fix it right.

19 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sometimes it could be the PCV, but the worn bearing theory is a decent bet. The primary cause of that is oil sludge, do you know how often oil changes have been done on the beast? If it was the "recommended" 10k, and you're over 100k miles, it's a prime candidate for sludged up VVti actuators, causing excessive wear. There is a screen that can be cleaned, but if the bearings are worn, its probably a live with it or spend a decent packet to fix it right.

Good shout on the oil, I didn't realise that got involved in the vct as well. It looked really clean when I got it, like it had just had an engine service (the air filter looked brand new too) but it's done a fair amount of miles since then, is hitting 120k and I'm borderline neglectful at looking after cars! I'll give it a bash and see and see if I can get in about the cam to clean it up a bit while I'm at it.

If it doesn't sort it, it isn't the end of the world as it runs fine with the light on. It was more the rattle that worried me but I'll just turn the tunes up louder...

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Thought this might be of interest to anyone on the hunt for a motor...............from today's paper.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/aug/24/spectacular-bargains-why-now-is-a-great-time-to-buy-an-electric-car-in-the-uk

I never do any kind of finance when I replace a car.   I save up, and pay cash. I'd be interested in an electric car when the prices for something that still has at least 120 mile range come down to no more than £5,000.   Right now, that'll buy an elderly Nissan Leaf with about 50 or 60 mile range left, or an early Renault Zoe with leased battery.  I think a hybrid may be my next car, but I keep on eye on the way full electrics are going.

Edited by beefybake

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

I never do any kind of finance when I replace a car.   I save up, and pay cash. I'd be interested in an electric car when the prices for something that still has at least 120 mile range come down to no more than £5,000.   Right now, that'll buy an elderly Nissan Leaf with about 50 or 60 mile range left, or an early Renault Zoe with leased battery.  I think a hybrid may be my next car, but I keep on eye on the way full electrics are going.

You would be daft to turn down anyone doing 0% finance on a car. 

On 26/08/2024 at 19:14, 101 said:

You would be daft to turn down anyone doing 0% finance on a car. 

Yep.

Its basically free money as long as you can manage it, remember to pay it off when required etc.

On 26/08/2024 at 16:16, Florentine_Pogen said:

Thought this might be of interest to anyone on the hunt for a motor...............from today's paper.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/aug/24/spectacular-bargains-why-now-is-a-great-time-to-buy-an-electric-car-in-the-uk

Interesting as I'm getting close to needing a new second hand car.  My concern is that with electric cars would the range drop drastically with 3 or 4 years usage? 

Most batteries get lazy unless they are only charged up fully and from completely empty.