Dundee
Hawick
Jedburgh
Shotts
Harthill
West Lothian
Prestonpans

The list is endless

I'll give you Hawick......Burnfoot in particular.....not the best but hardly the worst.

But Jedburgh?????

Jethart ( locals name) is called The Jewel in The Borders and is a bonny wee toon.  Fantastic  Abbey ruins dominate the town centre, Castle Jail and other visitor attractions.  Nae jobs,  hardly any shops, trains or inward investment by Borders Council for the last 20 years or so but a lovely, friendly place so you've got that totally wrong! Even the big housing scheme around Howden Rd is quite nice by comparison to most!

I love Jethart ! ( and Jethart folk!)

Edited by McSpreader

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep.  Let someone else deal with it.  Typical Weegie mindset IMO.

I'd say it's a fair swap for the hundreds of gibbering bumpkins who get sent South every year to work in call centres and get confused by one way systems.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Polepark is bizarre, walk past it every day, just seems really out of place. Stuill not braved going into the Bay Horse or Bissells, both look like absolute dives. I also thought Menzieshill was quite a nice area too, f**k sake

I have had a few nights in the Bay Horse. Hardly salubrious but you wouldn't come to any harm.

The shit bits of Menzieshill are specifically Leith Walk, Forth Crescent Spey Drive.

Everything off Dickson Avenue is fine.

Still not braved going into the Bay Horse or Bissells, both look like absolute dives.

The Bay Horse was my local in Dundee, a superb pub but a bit rough. Got the odd look the first few times I went in but before long, I was tanning lines off the sinks with the local youth like I was one of them.

My girlfriend at the time never once set foot in the place, probably for the best really.

The Bay Horse was my local in Dundee, a superb pub but a bit rough. Got the odd look the first few times I went in but before long, I was tanning lines off the sinks with the local youth like I was one of them.

My girlfriend at the time never once set foot in the place, probably for the best really.

I was in the Queen Anne last Saturday. Within 10 minutes I'd been offered all sorts by 4 older lads, guys were sound like and had a great laugh but I was a wee bit taken aback. Aff their nuts. :lol:

Will be back in there Sunday at some point, might venture into the Bay Horse too now.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I was in the Queen Anne last Saturday. Within 10 minutes I'd been offered all sorts by 4 older lads, guys were sound like and had a great laugh but I was a wee bit taken aback. Aff their nuts. :lol:

Will be back in there Sunday at some point, might venture into the Bay Horse too now.

Queen Anne was actually closer to my house by about 50 yards, but the bay horse was my preferred option. Similar pubs and clientele! 

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I have had a few nights in the Bay Horse. Hardly salubrious but you wouldn't come to any harm.

The shit bits of Menzieshill are specifically Leith Walk, Forth Crescent Spey Drive.

Everything off Dickson Avenue is fine.

Really? That surprises me. I was canvassing round there with my sister at one point and it was totally fine. Saying that, sun was out, which always improves things. Pretty tidy closies and a couple of really nice ones. 

Dundee's schemes have come a long way in the 20 years since I was at school. Back when Beechwood was in it's prime we'd be lucky to walk to the shops for lunch without getting a kicking or at least a chase from the local wildlife. The whole place got flattened and rebuilt like some of the other rough parts in Dundee. Those old schemes just seen full of young families now.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What's the Queen Anne like now? I heard reports it had gone a bit "no surrender" under latest ownership.

Arbroath

Should be absolutely nowhere near it, on the whole a nice place, the harbour, abbey, cliffs, beaches etc just push it up a notch from the other Angus towns (I mean Forfar and Montrose, Brechin isn't even worth mentioning, horrendous). There's genuinely a couple of areas/streets I'd class as dodgy/tinky. Not bad for a town of 25k.

What's the Queen Anne like now? I heard reports it had gone a bit "no surrender" under latest ownership.

I went there about 9, place was deed, 4 older guys away with it and the barman drinking with them too. Couldn't comment.

Didn't come across that way but I'm told by guys in work that they watched an OF game in there and the pub was singing the Bloobells are Blue so it's entirely possible.

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I went there about 9, place was deed, 4 older guys away with it and the barman drinking with them too. Couldn't comment.

Didn't come across that way but I'm told by guys in work that they watched an OF game in there and the pub was singing the Bloobells are Blue so it's entirely possible.

You'll need to find a more 'Celtic-minded' local.

50 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Should be absolutely nowhere near it, on the whole a nice place, the harbour, abbey, cliffs, beaches etc just push it up a notch from the other Angus towns (I mean Forfar and Montrose, Brechin isn't even worth mentioning, horrendous). There's genuinely a couple of areas/streets I'd class as dodgy/tinky. Not bad for a town of 25k.

After some local bus service changes we can now get a bus direct from Newport to Arbroath, so me and the Mrs have said we'll have to head through one day for something to eat and a few drinks. Not really familiar with the place other than driving through when I worked in Montrose but always thought it seemed worth a visit.