Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So do they go up or down in a nice town? 

Down as you move further out usually.

For instance around Alloa (shit town) prices around the centre are usually buttons.

Stirling (dece town) prices are usually more around the centre.

You do get the new builds that try to distort the pricing on the outskirts though.

Plains. It's where the writers of the X-Files' mad cow disease episode got their inspiration.

And regarding Govanhill: If it didn't happen to be in Sturgeon's constituency it would never be mentioned in these debates. If she happened to be MSP for somewhere else they'd find an area of that constituency to use as a stick to beat her with. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Down as you move further out usually.

For instance around Alloa (shit town) prices around the centre are usually buttons.

Stirling (dece town) prices are usually more around the centre.

You do get the new builds that try to distort the pricing on the outskirts though.

Who the f**k chooses to spend their life living in Stirling and thinking it's good? 

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Who the f**k chooses to spend their life living in Stirling and thinking it's good? 

I’ve  lived abroad and all over Scotland and whilst Im not saying Stirling is brilliant out of the central belt towns its one of the better ones. Its gone downhill a fair bit past 10/15 years though.

Edited by gannonball

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’ve  lived abroad and all over Scotland and whilst Im not saying Stirling is brilliant out of the central belt towns its one of the better ones. Its gone downhill a fair bit past 10/15 years though.

The only people I know that have chosen to live there are ones that feel as though they're defined by their career. 

The only people I know that have chosen to live there are ones that feel as though they're defined by their career. 

Not sure what point you are trying to make here? It’s still a decent town compared to Falkirk anyway which really is a pretty soulless hub of a place from what I have seen.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here? It’s still a decent town compared to Falkirk anyway which really is a pretty soulless hub of a place from what I have seen.

Stirling at least checks the box marked “f**k off big castle on top of an old volcano”

Which is more than can be said for the places most of you lot live in

8 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

It's all relative I suppose - I remember a girl from Perth I know driving me through the place and pointing out where the most mental, notorious part of the town was like I was supposed to be impressed. It looked like Knightswood or somewhere like that....

I used to know a lassie from Alderley Edge, where all the footballers live. She tried to warn me off taking a shortcut from her parents' house to nearby Wilmslow by going through the 'council estate', which was full of undefined danger. Being Muhammad I'm Hard Bruce Lee, I failed to heed her warnings and ventured forth.

Three bedroom detached houses with driveways full of people carriers  :lol:

Edit: I fear it's only a matter of time before throbber takes a verbal smackdown for referring to the great city of Stirling as a mere town  :o

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

4 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Plains. It's where the writers of the X-Files' mad cow disease episode got their inspiration.

And regarding Govanhill: If it didn't happen to be in Sturgeon's constituency it would never be mentioned in these debates. If she happened to be MSP for somewhere else they'd find an area of that constituency to use as a stick to beat her with. 

That and the fact a lot of immigrants live there. It all combines to cause massive amounts of "concern" from a certain type.

8 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

This is an interesting point and not sure it's one I'd agree with.  I only spent 2 afternoons looking at Buy to Let places and, whilst you can buy a 2 bedroom for under £60,000, the area really is not very attractive.  The flats themselves are nice (or would be if you spent not so much money on them).  The closes not so much.  Heehaw to do with Wee Nikla.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

That and the fact a lot of immigrants live there. It all combines to cause massive amounts of "concern" from a certain type.

Again, a contentious point.  Most UK cities have a large (and largely welcome) number of immigrants.  The Govanhill reputation seems to be based around quite a small area of absolute squalor.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is an interesting point and not sure it's one I'd agree with.  I only spent 2 afternoons looking at Buy to Let places and, whilst you can buy a 2 bedroom for under £60,000, the area really is not very attractive.  The flats themselves are nice (or would be if you spent not so much money on them).  The closes not so much.  Heehaw to do with Wee Nikla.

Again, a contentious point.  Most UK cities have a large (and largely welcome) number of immigrants.  The Govanhill reputation seems to be based around quite a small area of absolute squalor.

We'll agree to disagree then. Govanhill is far from the worst shitehole in Glasgow yet it gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage for one reason and one reason only.  If wee Nic's constituency included, for example, Castlemilk or Drumchapel then there is all we would hear about. I regularly hear that Govanhill is a 'no go area' from folk that have never actually been there. As a fan of the Allison Arms I regularly walk through there at all times of the day and the night. Never have I felt anything other than comfortable. If I told my Mum and Dad that I did that they'd have a fucking heart attack - just because of the nonsense they have read in The Herald or The Times. 

9 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

We'll agree to disagree then. Govanhill is far from the worst shitehole in Glasgow yet it gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage for one reason and one reason only.  If wee Nic's constituency included, for example, Castlemilk or Drumchapel then there is all we would hear about. I regularly hear that Govanhill is a 'no go area' from folk that have never actually been there. As a fan of the Allison Arms I regularly walk through there at all times of the day and the night. Never have I felt anything other than comfortable. If I told my Mum and Dad that I did that they'd have a fucking heart attack - just because of the nonsense they have read in The Herald or The Times. 

Well we have to disagree to disagree.  I absolutely never felt unsafe but I did want to take a powerjet and wash a few places down.  It is more than a touch squalid.

Edit...Govanhill isn't so different to parts of Wycombe.  To the west of the town it is manky as f**k.  The biggest difference is £60K for a 3 apartment as opposed to £140K.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Well we have to disagree to disagree.  I absolutely never felt unsafe but I did want to take a powerjet and wash a few places down.  It is more than a touch squalid.

Why do you think it has a new found reputation as opposed to other dank pits in Glasgow? Why is it the poster boy of Glasgow deprivation? Why have the press chosen that exact area?

3 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Why do you think it has a new found reputation as opposed to other dank pits in Glasgow? Why is it the poster boy of Glasgow deprivation? Why have the press chosen that exact area?

I don't think it has.  Even going back to the 70s there's been a Glasgow mantra not to confuse Govan (even) with Govanhill or Pollokshields with Pollokshaws.

Thus does Wee Nikla make Govanhill look shite or VV?

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I don't think it has.  Even going back to the 70s there's been a Glasgow mantra not to confuse Govan (even) with Govanhill or Pollokshields with Pollokshaws.

Thus does Wee Nikla make Govanhill look shite or VV?

I've literally no idea what that means.

My point is very simple. If wee Nic's constituency didn't include Govanhill then we would hear f**k all about it, because it isn't the worst place. Shiteholes around the country and city are not reported on in remotely the same manner. Because they aren't in her constituency.

If her constituency was elsewhere then an area of that constituency would get the same treatment. And Govanhill would suddenly not be an area that you can't walk through at night.

Unfortunately you probably don't get this reported in the Buckfast Advertiser.