Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
56 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Coyne was the top scorer in the country with three different clubs (Dundee, Celtic, Motherwell).
Coyne was a far better player than John McGinlay, Duncan Shearer, Scott Booth and Eoin Jess who were all capped around the time he was top scorer.
Brown and Roxburgh's loyalty to a lot of pish Aberdeen players was mystifying. The three above plus Brian Irvine and McKimmie  and later Leighton when he was chosen in 98 over Goram.

Goram pulled out of the 98 WC squad. That's the only reason Leighton played all three games.

He quit because Brown told him was going to be a sub.

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
Coyne was the top scorer in the country with three different clubs (Dundee, Celtic, Motherwell).
Coyne was a far better player than John McGinlay, Duncan Shearer, Scott Booth and Eoin Jess who were all capped around the time he was top scorer.
Brown and Roxburgh's loyalty to a lot of pish Aberdeen players was mystifying. The three above plus Brian Irvine and McKimmie  and later Leighton when he was chosen in 98 over Goram.

Goram pulled out of the 98 WC squad. That's the only reason Leighton played all three games.

Nah he had a hissy fit when told Leighton was going to play. 

“My decision to retire from international football would see me hung out to dry, branded a traitor to the cause and a disgrace to the nation.

But I deserved the shout to face Brazil in that World Cup opener in Paris, the biggest game my country had ever played in.

I’d earned it but Craig Brown took it away from me.

Even now, I still sit and think about that situation sometimes. My conclusion? There was no reason to think that I would not start as Scotland’s keeper at France 98.

I should have played in that tournament, not Jim Leighton.

Goram for France ’98″>Typically, I didn’t hear the bad news directly. Instead, a prominent member of the SFA had a quiet word in my ear.

Two weeks from the tournament I had waited all my life for, my confidant sat me down and warned me Craig Brown wasn’t picking me.

He would be going with a near 40-year-old Leighton instead.

Brown was consumed by the desire to keep everyone happy. He was a schoolteacher and a good coach, and his achievements for Scotland should be saluted, but that’s where it stops for me.

Before I got the nod on the quiet that I was missing out, I knew deep down he was going to leave it until the last minute then hit one of us with the bombshell news and leave us shattered.

I’ll never forget going back to my room in the hotel as it sank in that the manager was snubbing me.

I was sharing with my Rangers team-mate Gordon Durie. I was ashen-faced, and Jukey was worried for me when I told him I was quitting Scotland. There was no point in me sitting there on the bench at the age of 34. What would that have achieved?

He asked me to pause and reconsider what I was doing, because it was such a big step.

I couldn’t be swayed and I made my arrangements to fly back to Glasgow and see Miriam. I knew flak would fly.

Then Brown arrived at my room and said, ‘I want you to reconsider’.

I thought that this was it, the moment I would come to respect him more as a man. I expected a heartfelt plea to make me stay in the Scotland set-up, maybe even a change of heart and a pledge to play me in front of Jim.

Instead he said, ‘I want you to reconsider, because I don’t think you should fly into Glasgow. The press will be waiting for you there’. That was it. He only cared about the impending media storm and how it would reflect on him. He had no interest in trying to keep me in the camp.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/news/28060/brown-broke-my-heart-and-ill-never-forgive-him/

Your last shred of credibility has slipped away based on that post.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Your last shred of credibility has slipped away based on that post.

How so? Booth and Jess were hugely over rated, McGinlay barely played top flight football and Shearer was extremely average.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Goram'd reaction was total toys out the pram stuff.

Leighton was absolutely fine as a keeper and had had performed perfectly well during qualifying, including a brilliant display at home vs Sweden.

It just seems to be a continual tendency of Scotland managers of not wanting to deal with players with big personalities. Strachan, McLeish and Smith didn't have that problem but Roxburgh, Brown, Burley and Levein clearly did.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It just seems to be a continual tendency of Scotland managers of not wanting to deal with players with big personalities. Strachan, McLeish and Smith didn't have that problem but Roxburgh, Brown, Burley and Levein clearly did.

That's cause they're little people.  Do you think Ferguson would have shat out of it like those fannies.

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Sigh. No he's not.  I can't even be bothered with this. You're just wrong, if you don't think so big deal best of luck.

I can’t be bothered with this says the guy who can’t shut up about it.

Despite being available for every PL game last season, McCarthy got half as much game time as McArthur.

McCarthy started16 games. Was subbed on 17 times. Stayed on the bench 5 times.

McArthur started all 37 games he was available for.

But don’t let actual evidence get in the way of your inane rantings.

I can’t be bothered with this says the guy who can’t shut up about it.
Despite being available for every PL game last season, McCarthy got half as much game time as McArthur.
McCarthy started16 games. Was subbed on 17 times. Stayed on the bench 5 times.
McArthur started all 37 games he was available for.
But don’t let actual evidence get in the way of your inane rantings.
Good post

Please shut up.  McCarthy was literally recovering from TWO AND A HALF FUCKING YEARS injured and was being eased back in, he's really just hitting full fitness right now.  He's been a better player than McArthur his entire career and this isn't the first club they've both been at, he was in front of McArthur there too.