Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Scotland only poll klaxon

Interesting that the “swing” is from September last year.  The gap is less than most recently as well. 

On 08/06/2024 at 19:59, Dunfermline Don said:

A lot is always made of the fact that after the fall of France. Britain stood alone against the Nazis (well apart from the rest of the Empire and troops from occupied nations that sought refuge in the UK).
 I think that causes a lot of people to think that we did more than the USA or USSR despite them contributing far more in terms of numbers. 

Didn't even win the Battle of Britain alone, the most successful RAF squadron of the battle was 303 Squadron, An all Polish squadron, and another Polish Squadron 302 were almost as good.

Polish Pilots and the Battle of Britain (historic-uk.com)

The Commander-in-Chief of Fighter Command, Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, was blunter in his assessment, ‘Had it not been for the magnificent work of the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of battle would have been the same’. This assessment was echoed by the Secretary of State for the Air Force and indeed, during some of the most desperate points of the battle, the RAF had ‘only 350 pilots to scramble, of which nearly 100 were Poles’.

Yet at the end of the war Polish troops were not allowed to participate in the Allied Victory Parade so as not to aggravate Joseph Stalin. Brexiteers or not, we should all be grateful for the sacrifice made by so few for so many. Without the two squadrons of ‘plucky Poles’, it is eminently possible that there would neither be a Britain, nor an EU to vote out of.

9 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Didn't even win the Battle of Britain alone, the most successful RAF squadron of the battle was 303 Squadron, An all Polish squadron, and another Polish Squadron 302 were almost as good.

The Commander-in-Chief of Fighter Command, Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, was blunter in his assessment, ‘Had it not been for the magnificent work of the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of battle would have been the same’. This assessment was echoed by the Secretary of State for the Air Force and indeed, during some of the most desperate points of the battle, the RAF had ‘only 350 pilots to scramble, of which nearly 100 were Poles’.

Yet at the end of the war Polish troops were not allowed to participate in the Allied Victory Parade so as not to aggravate Joseph Stalin. Brexiteers or not, we should all be grateful for the sacrifice made by so few for so many. Without the two squadrons of ‘plucky Poles’, it is eminently possible that there would neither be a Britain, nor an EU to vote out of.

Lots of Polish soldiers who escaped the Nazis were based in Scotland during the war. 
I know in Dunfermline they were barracked in the pavilion in the Glen and their experience from having experienced a Nazi attack was used to help set up defensive positions in the area to help with the defence of the dockyard at Rosyth in anticipation of any German attack. 

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Czechs also had 2 and Canadians had 1 alongside 44x RAF, 14x Auxiliary, 3x Coastal Command and 2x Fleet Air Arm some of which included foreign pilots - indeed the only surviving veteran is 104-year-old John Hemming from Eire; were 574 foreign beside 2,353 British:

image.png.c1e8bc0bd4e771655314491acda8a787.png

Special mention to confusingly named No 247 (China British) Squadron RAF - who got transferred from Shetland to Plymouth halfway through and became the only Allied fighter squadron to contest the Battle of Britain using biplanes...

18925_3-a50179-dogfight-double-low.jpg

7 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

If these figures are truly representative then that's a pretty robust performance by the SNP considering the shit storm 2024 has been thus far.  In P &B terms it's Scotland still in well in it after 80 minutes this Friday night on 31% possession.

Hopefully enough people are now having a right good look at Labour and don't believe what they see or hear.

I think Flynn did well in the 7 way debate, especially on Brexit. There's another leaders debate tonight between Starmer and Sunak on Sky and hopefully they bring up the B word... any mealy mouthed "make Brexit work" or stronger "firm no to joining the single market" from Starmer tonight only helps the Lib Dems across the UK and the LD and SNP in Scotland. 

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Flynn did well in the 7 way debate, especially on Brexit. There's another leaders debate tonight between Starmer and Sunak on Sky and hopefully they bring up the B word... any mealy mouthed "make Brexit work" or stronger "firm no to joining the single market" from Starmer tonight only helps the Lib Dems across the UK and the LD and SNP in Scotland. 

It won't get mentioned 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If these figures are truly representative then that's a pretty robust performance by the SNP considering the shit storm 2024 has been thus far.  In P &B terms it's Scotland still in well in it after 80 minutes this Friday night on 31% possession.

Hopefully enough people are now having a right good look at Labour and don't believe what they see or hear.

Yes it’s encouraging; as @Suspect Device says it could be a rogue poll but it offers a bit of hope nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes it’s encouraging; as @Suspect Device says it could be a rogue poll but it offers a bit of hope nonetheless.

I thought you’d turned your back on the SNP after they made Kate Forbes deputy first minister. 

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I thought you’d turned your back on the SNP after they made Kate Forbes deputy first minister. 

I resigned from the party and am comfortable with that decision, but looking at the options available a result that returns more SNP MPs than Labour MPs is still the better option.

For me politics has always been about the least worst outcome.

53 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Labour's vote is definitely soft - the SNP need to keep hammering away about the £18billion of cuts to the NHS and the reality thst Labour and the Tories are 2 cheeks of the same arse 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Does feel like there’s been a bit of a swing back to the SNP

Especially if a certain football team do something over the next 10 days.

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Especially if a certain football team do something over the next 10 days.

Surely this incarnation isn't about to be liquidated too?

On 11/06/2024 at 13:43, TheScarf said:

Voters defecting from a Nationalist party to a Tory-lite Unionist party need to be in nursing homes, or have 24 hour care.

Obviously there will be some movement from one to the other bu you can't infer much about direct movements between parties from a poll unless the swings are huge. Apart from anything else, at any given time over 30% are non-voters and many will move between that block and a party preference. I suspect a lot of the fall in SNP and Tory vote shares will be responding to polls as unsure or won't vote rather than saying they'll vote for someone else. You always get a little movement late in campaigns these days and IMO a lot of that is this group making up their minds.

It varies by area and election but the proportion who are on the electoral register but just never vote is an awful lot lower than those who don't turn out for any given election.

Also, it's a certainty that there will be movement between every combination of party, because people are really really weird. For example, in the 2007 election the constituency and regional votes were on the same sheet of paper so you could see how people used both votes. In my constituency every possible combination occurred, including voting for the National Front constituency candidate and the Lib Dems on the list. I can't imagine what that's about.