Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Isn't that the same street/area where the Plastics factory blew up?

Obviously a helicopter crashing into a pub = disaster, but as someone mentioned, it didn't look as bad as it sounds with the early pictures. I certainly didn't expect at least 8 confirmed deaths, truly horrific. Thoughts go out to those affected:

Obviously a helicopter crashing into a pub = disaster, but as someone mentioned, it didn't look as bad as it sounds with the early pictures. I certainly didn't expect at least 8 confirmed deaths, truly horrific. Thoughts go out to those affected:

No, That happened in Maryhill.

Nope. The Plastics factory was in Maryhill, just off Maryhill Road opposite the Woodside Inn.

I am interested in politics more than most. And I honestly can't see anybody Murphy, Salmond et al trying to make political capital out of this. If they did the fail danger is massive. It is a terrible tragedy. It is not a political event.

Perhaps Jim Murphy would have got more credit for some folk on here if he'd acted like a tit and said "See polis helicopters, we'll set aboot them" or some similar pish. It's not as if he said "This is why we shouldn't have a single police force in Scotland".

I don't particularly like him as I think he's an oily twat, even by politician's standards, but credit to him for what he did.

I've been at the football but I'm assuming it's been said eight deaths is unlikely to be the final total? :(

Stones throw my arse...20 minute walk

Unless you're talking about the one in Braehead, it's only about a 7 minute walk down Buchanan Street and across St. Enoch square. ;)

Still, I take your point and it's a valid one....it's far more than a stone's throw away. Had they been drinking in Times Square or the Crystal Palace, they'd have maybe had a point.

Plus it's a nonsense response by their friends when you consider that it would have never happened in TGIs or any pubs like that seeing as there's about 4 floors of offices above them. It was extremely unfortunate that it happened to hit a relative rarity, a crowded single story building late at night.

I'm not a fan of the whole 'only in Glasgow' stuff, but seriously, I can't think of anywhere else that a guy could stop his car and run into a crumbling building to try and help save lives, and be met with such levels of derision and abuse.

In that split second, when a fucking helicopter was crashing through a fucking pub roof and killing people, does anyone GENUINELY believe Jim Murphy's first thoughts when he stopped his car and ran to try and help, were 'this could be a vote winner'?

If so, seek help.

I agree with your sentiment but disagree that with the "only in Glasgow" bit........we saw acts like this during 7/7 in London and in NYC on 9/11.......and those places are so big they appear soulless on any given day.

I like to think on occasions such as last night "human instinct" kicks in for certain brave people.....almost restores your faith in humanity.

I agree with your sentiment but disagree that with the "only in Glasgow" bit........we saw acts like this during 7/7 in London and in NYC on 9/11.......and those places are so big they appear soulless on any given day.

I like to think on occasions such as last night "human instinct" kicks in for certain brave people.....almost restores your faith in humanity.

You misunderstand and have misread what I'm saying. I disagree with the 'only in Glasgow' schtick as well..... I'm also certainly not saying that nowhere else would have people selflessly help.

I'm saying that nowhere else would someone selflessly help and be actively criticised by others and accused of having hidden agendas for doing so.

I fucking despair at some of the mouth breathers in this country.

I bet he doesn't really hate any of those groups of people. Some of these OF supporting twats actually try to live up to the stereotypes of their support but probably don't hold the same views.

Still a wee twat, but If he was 10-20 years older I'd be far more worried about messages like that.

Edited by Jamaldo

You misunderstand and have misread what I'm saying. I disagree with the 'only in Glasgow' schtick as well..... I'm also certainly not saying that nowhere else would have people selflessly help.

I'm saying that nowhere else would someone selflessly help and be actively criticised by others and accused of having hidden agendas for doing so.

Apologies mate.....been a long week.

reread your post.......agreed.

I heard that German air traffic investigators are coming over as the helicopters are made in Germany. One came down in East Ayrshire a few years back, but without casualties.

I fear there will be more bad news once the pub is cleared.

Credit to the fire and rescue staff searching the building a truly onerous task.

Sadly a lot of the injured are critical I hope they pull through.