Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

Have just started watching Ted Lasso. the chairwoman is the "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" woman from GoT and the long haired reporter is the hotel employee from I'm Alan Partridge.

And, ETA, it was bugging me where I'd seen Ted Lasso before, the actor played Floyd in 30 rock.

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 10/03/2021 at 02:34, GordonD said:

I got the 'central points of each UK country' on Clue Two. 

My all-time favourite Only Connect question was this: 

1 - Central Line

2 - Circle Line

3 - District Line

4 - ?

Reveal hidden contents

Answer is 4 - Bakerloo Line. It's the colour of each line on the Tube map equated to that colour's value in snooker.

Mornington Crescent?

On 09/03/2021 at 13:18, TheScarf said:

I'm on my 2nd watch through of Money Heist on Netflix.  Just started part 4 and it's as good as I remember.

With that, I saw someone on Twitter a few months back saying if you watch it with the English dub over then you're an idiot and you need to watch it in Spanish with subtitles.

Surely it's the other way around?  Why the f**k would I want to be glued to the bottom of the screen having to read what's going on?

the quality or acting range of the dubbers (what is the common term for them) is generally awful and it often detracts from the quality of the show/movie. 

Its actually a wider discussion point. As I understand , certain dubbers in Italy and France are famous in their own right for providing a voice to say a Stallone. They become synonymous with the actor they are providing a distinctive voice to. They are generally actors in their own right but not that big  but have acting ability. It is a completely different approach and audiences presumably react/interpret dubbing differently in other countries than the English speaking countries do. 

On 15/03/2021 at 22:16, Gianfranco said:

Unforgotten is class.

This. The second series is some of the most gripping telly I've witnessed in years (after a slow start). The Scottish boy with the white hair has a scene with Nicola Walker's character near the end that had me absolutely bawling. Incredible acting.

Currently I'm watching "his dark materials" which is utterly fantastic, wonderfully cast and superbly acted. I started watching it for Dafne Keen as I loved her Logan, but f**k me Ruth Wilson puts in one of the best performances I've ever seen. She's superb.

Speaking of BBC News

My alarm for work goes at 5:50 in the morning. I put BBC News on and the programme that's on finishes at 5:55 before the weather then Breakfast starting. At 5:53 they start a new story and get some poor b*****d on to talk about it on webcam. They get asked two questions then get cut off before they finish saying anything of note. Why bother?

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Speaking of BBC News

My alarm for work goes at 5:50 in the morning. I put BBC News on and the programme that's on finishes at 5:55 before the weather then Breakfast starting. At 5:53 they start a new story and get some poor b*****d on to talk about it on webcam. They get asked two questions then get cut off before they finish saying anything of note. Why bother?

They do that all the time on good morning Scotland on radio Scotland too. Couple minutes before the news comes on, interviewer just about finished asking the question and the news bed is already starting up. 

We Are What We Are. On BBC but it’s an Italian/HBO/Sky Atlantic production. 

14 y/o boy moves with his mum and her wife to a US army base near Venice. He’s a cool (in his eyes), hip New Yorker, but struggles to fit in. Coming of age drama with some quite challenging behaviour (even for a Fifer his relationship with his mum, Cloe Sevigny, is odd).

Beautifully shot, slow-paced study on various themes. People (not just the teens) working out their sexuality, Trump coming to power is in the background, American attitudes abroad, and some tremendous Euro disco tunes.

Agreed, the reactions of the punters when they see their family treasures restored is quite emotional. I remember one guy, an old rocker, who brought in an old jukebox - it had been in the pub where he had his wedding reception decades earlier (his wife was now dead) and when they got it working and played the song they'd had their first dance to he was in floods of tears. Wasn't far off them myself.

Ryan from The Office may be one of the most confusing sitcom characters ever. He is a totally arrogant dickhead of a man and comes across a horrible person. Yet any time he is giving a one on one The Office style, he's absolutely hilarious and almost always on the money with what he says. I really don't know if it's been intentionally written that he's a dick when being filmed in the group setting and he's 'acting' during his one on ones, but it's so good regardless.

Andy on the other hand is very annoying, even more so early on. But the more I watch, I'm not sure if it's the character that annoys me or Ed Helms's acting style. Think it may be the latter given he basically the exact same character in Vacation.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yer man that created Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory has a new programme coming up

I was surprised that he didn't get more grief for the Indian character on TBBT who constantly slags off India, and is generally one of the most unappealing sitcom characters I can think of.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ryan from The Office may be one of the most confusing sitcom characters ever. He is a totally arrogant dickhead of a man and comes across a horrible person. Yet any time he is giving a one on one The Office style, he's absolutely hilarious and almost always on the money with what he says. I really don't know if it's been intentionally written that he's a dick when being filmed in the group setting and he's 'acting' during his one on ones, but it's so good regardless.

Andy on the other hand is very annoying, even more so early on. But the more I watch, I'm not sure if it's the character that annoys me or Ed Helms's acting style. Think it may be the latter given he basically the exact same character in Vacation.

Virtually all of the characters straddle the line between annoying and funny. If you watch the first season, they really fucked up with Michael Scott and he just comes across as a p***k. It's one of those shows that has the subtext of people being forced together that don't really get on, but over time come to care about each other.

Catherine fucking bloody Tate is exempt from all of that, as she's incapable of being anything other than a screaming nightmare that nobody can wake up from.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was surprised that he didn't get more grief for the Indian character on TBBT who constantly slags off India, and is generally one of the most unappealing sitcom characters I can think of.

Probably because was only ever the 4th most objectionable regular character in that at any one time.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Probably because was only ever the 4th most objectionable regular character in that at any one time.

Impressive, considering there were only five of them at the beginning.

I have been watching This is us on Amazon prime which is about a set of middle aged triplets and it goes back and forth to between their early lives and the struggles they all face in adulthood in present time. I’m starting to get pretty sick of it in season 2 and all the characters are starting to annoy me a great deal and am not sure I will be able to slog it out to season five.