Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

We saw the trailer during a break in The Last Leg. An executive decision was made right there to avoid it like the plague. 
I had been watching something on Netflix and when that finished it went back to ch4 and that's the only reason I seen any of it.

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

There's a whole load of documentaries about the cold war on BBC4 this week. Fascinating stuff...

A woman on the show tonight said there were over 800 RoC monitoring stations around the country and no one knew where/what they were.

There were Public Information Films about them in the 50's/60's which showed what they looked like making the one near Cowdenbeath easy to spot.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

A woman on the show tonight said there were over 800 RoC monitoring stations around the country and no one knew where/what they were.

There were Public Information Films about them in the 50's/60's which showed what they looked like making the one near Cowdenbeath easy to spot.

I loved the Italian guy riding around on his bike shouting "the Russians are coming". 

That's exactly the sort of early warning system required when a nuclear attack is imminent.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I loved the Italian guy riding around on his bike shouting "the Russians are coming". 

That's exactly the sort of early warning system required when a nuclear attack is imminent.

Especially when he admitted it wasn't always switched on.

33 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

If you go on Google Maps the site is here 56.108325, -3.370335 the MoD have sold it to a mobile phone operator but there are still signs of some of the above ground equipment behind the metal palisade fence.

10 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Is that why they used Cowdenbeath for post-apocalypse training? At least, I assume that's why it looks like that.

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Worked for the Americans in the Revolutionary War. And Paul Revere became a national hero.

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:
There's a whole load of documentaries about the cold war on BBC4 this week. Fascinating stuff...

Any names for these programmes? My BBC iplayer app thing doesn't seem too great for searching by genre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b1gn/arena-a-british-guide-to-the-end-of-the-world

20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

This was a riveting watch...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1gn

The Christmas Island footage was astonishing. Never seen that before.  

Making men sit unprotected in such close proximity to a nuclear explosion, absolutely unbelievable 😡

23 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

This was a riveting watch...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1gn

The Christmas Island footage was astonishing. Never seen that before.  

Making men sit unprotected in such close proximity to a nuclear explosion, absolutely unbelievable 😡

Yeah. It was pretty uncomfortable viewing but the programme was really well made.

Anyone watch the Dimbleby Lecture with Tim Berners Lee? Pretty bizarre already with Tim being an eccentric genius with weird body movements and way of talking, but in the Q+A session they had M, the head of MI6, followed by a junior functionary from the Russian Embassy refusing to respond to accusations of interfering with elections with a sweet smile. Then when paedophilia was mentioned they zoomed the camera to a young girl in the audience, and with mental illness to a young podgy black guy, seemingly at random. All very weird.

Edited by welshbairn