Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 11/03/2022 at 21:30, Archie McSquackle said:
On 11/03/2022 at 00:18, welshbairn said:
Just finished binge watching The Ipcress File on STV/Britbox over a couple of nights. Excellent stuff, they played it a bit like the Avengers, best British telly I've seen in a while. 

Cheers, I was wondering what it was like. I watched the Michael Caine film recently on iplayer and then saw that this was coming on by complete coincidence and hoped it would be good. Is it an update or set in the 60's cold War era like the original book and film?

The movie was good, and I love Len Deighton books. There is a lot in this show not in the book but it is still very good.

Note: In the book he isn't called Harry Palmer. He doesn't have a name - they needed one for the movie and came up with that. Most of Deighton's books in the 60s are written in the first person with no clear name.

My hope is that the team that made this do a proper version of the Bernie Sampson series of books (Deighton's finest by a mile).

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My hope is that the team that made this do a proper version of the Bernie Sampson series of books (Deighton's finest by a mile).

Tarantino was thinking about it. Can't remember much about the ITV version they made in the 80s.

https://archive.ph/20120723185250/http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080204b.php

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Tarantino was thinking about it. Can't remember much about the ITV version they made in the 80s.

https://archive.ph/20120723185250/http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080204b.php

I've not seen the ITV series. I think it just covered the first 3 books. 

Definitely an appetite for something like this - a 9 book series turned into a long-ish TV spy show set in the early 80s. That would be awesome. 

Pity the itv series hasn't been shown again in the way BBC showed the old version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I've not read any Deighton but his books sound right up my street- will need to give it a go.

I didn't know the name Harry Palmer wasn't in the books. I remember years ago there was a chief engineer at Glasgow Building Control of the same name - he must have been right pissed off when they used it in the films.

Watched the two part Channel 4 documentary about Jeremy Kyle and why it was eventually canned.

A decent watch actually. It never really highlighted anything we didn't already know about the show; exploiting the vulnerable to make car crash television but it was still pretty shocking to hear it from the mouths of those who worked on the show.

Jeremy Kyle himself is of course a complete narcissistic c**t of a man and absolutely no surprise he weaseled out of the inquest. I'd argue he's an even bigger c**t than Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson.

The woman who lost her man to suicide really baffled me. I don't want to lay in to her as it's clear she isn't a particularly intelligent individual but I felt she was extremely fake. I never bought the crocodile tears from her in relation to her losing her 'partner'. There wasn't a single tear and her facial expressions looked forced. Fast forward to her talking about Jeremy Kyle the actual man and her whole demeanour changes. To have a Jeremy Kyle tattoo at all is fucking bizarre, but to get Jeremy Kyle's name tattooed on your arm after your 'fiance' has taken his own life as a result of the show is just batshit crazy behaviour and kind of reinforces my thoughts about her true feelings.

Worth a watch.

Watched the two part Channel 4 documentary about Jeremy Kyle and why it was eventually canned.

A decent watch actually. It never really highlighted anything we didn't already know about the show; exploiting the vulnerable to make car crash television but it was still pretty shocking to hear it from the mouths of those who worked on the show.

Jeremy Kyle himself is of course a complete narcissistic c**t of a man and absolutely no surprise he weaseled out of the inquest. I'd argue he's an even bigger c**t than Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson.

The woman who lost her man to suicide really baffled me. I don't want to lay in to her as it's clear she isn't a particularly intelligent individual but I felt she was extremely fake. I never bought the crocodile tears from her in relation to her losing her 'partner'. There wasn't a single tear and her facial expressions looked forced. Fast forward to her talking about Jeremy Kyle the actual man and her whole demeanour changes. To have a Jeremy Kyle tattoo at all is fucking bizarre, but to get Jeremy Kyle's name tattooed on your arm after your 'fiance' has taken his own life as a result of the show is just batshit crazy behaviour and kind of reinforces my thoughts about her true feelings.

Worth a watch.

That tattoo was batshit crazy. As you say, especially AFTER it happening. She seemed really proud of it though. It was car crash tele, used to watch it if i was backshift and had nothing on in the morning. Graham who was supposed to be part of the aftercare team, seemed like that he was a front to cover what they were doing.

That tattoo was batshit crazy. As you say, especially AFTER it happening. She seemed really proud of it though. It was car crash tele, used to watch it if i was backshift and had nothing on in the morning. Graham who was supposed to be part of the aftercare team, seemed like that he was a front to cover what they were doing.

Aye he was supposed to be the 'nice' one. I can mind when I was younger and watched it I thought he was really good (Graham). I then did my Mental Health nursing and realised he talked about as much shite at Kyle but did it in a calmer voice [emoji38]

My youngest binged the last couple of weeks of a recent Junior bake off at the weekend. It was quite good to sort of half watch while shitposting or reading a book. I can't stand the grown up version. Harry Hill was great at bantering with the kids and at irritating them. 

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It seems that a disproportionately high percentage of men called Jeremy come across as narcissistic c***s.

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Kyle
Jeremy Beadle
Jeremy Thorpe
Jeremy Paxman
Jeremy Bamber

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

It seems that a disproportionately high percentage of men called Jeremy come across as narcissistic c***s.

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Kyle
Jeremy Beadle
Jeremy Thorpe
Jeremy Paxman
Jeremy Bamber

You missed Hunt

I worked with a guy called Jeremy. He was ok. 

19 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Pity the itv series hasn't been shown again in the way BBC showed the old version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I've not read any Deighton but his books sound right up my street- will need to give it a go.

I didn't know the name Harry Palmer wasn't in the books. I remember years ago there was a chief engineer at Glasgow Building Control of the same name - he must have been right pissed off when they used it in the films.

If you do go for his books, in truth I would avoid many of his earliest ones at first. They are fairly dense and opaque, and even he acknowledged that he was "asking a lot of his readers" in some of them. Horse Under Water was probably the worst. 

I would recommend the Bernie Sampson series which starts with Berlin Game. Don't read Wikipedia on this as it gives away the whole plot. In truth any he wrote form the 70s on would be a good starting point,

I'm watching the Jeremy Kyle documentary right now. It's pretty entertaining considering I never followed the show or had any clue about the practices they would use to rile up the guests. 

The way they're using actors for the anonymity is doing my tits in though. The way they're speaking it is so obvious that they are actors, such exaggerated speaking it's just really off and it's hard to ignore. 

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I went to school with a Geoffrey and a Bradley. 

A bit odd for Elgin in the 80s.

Knew a few Brads too. Don't think I've ever met a Geoff who was under the age of 40, though; that seems to be one of those popular names that died suddenly. Was there a famous Geoff who put people off?

I saw a theory that the name Ian went from something like the 5th most popular boys name in England to extinction within a few years of Ian Beale being introduced to the nation.

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Hurst.

Could be wrong, but I think they quite liked him down south.

Geoff Capes is the last famous one I can remember, and I don't think he did anything terrible, did he?