Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 27/01/2022 at 06:08, Bert Raccoon said:
On 27/01/2022 at 00:36, jimmy boo said:

The Responder
Martin Freeman is a patrol cop on the verge of a nervous breakdown who gets himself involved in all sorts of shady shenanigans. Finished this on iplayer tonight and was most enjoyable.

Watching this as well and have a couple of episodes to go. Whilst I'm enjoying it and Freeman is excellent, I just find the whole thing a bit far fetched and the fact he seems to just wander around doing whatever the f**k he fancies rather than actually arrest folk doesn't seem very believable

Pretty much the same opinion as myself - enjoyable but it doesn't seem like a very realistic scenario.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but for those staying in tonight cult horror flick The Abominable Dr. Phibes is on Talking Pictures (Sky328) at 9.05pm.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) - IMDb

Doctors are being murdered in bizarre manners - bats, bees, a killer frog mask, etc. - which represent the nine Biblical plagues of Egypt. The crimes are orchestrated by an organ-playing, demented madman (from his home base, replete with a clockwork orchestra and help from a beautiful, mute assistant). Detectives are stumped until they find that all the slain doctors once assisted a Dr. Vesalius on an unsuccessful operation involving the wife of organist Dr. Phibes, killed in a car crash upon learning of his wife's death. He couldn't be the culprit, could he?

On 23/01/2022 at 12:59, Sergeant Wilson said:

The bit in the club office was like an ou take from The Office. Savage wasn't as bad as I thought he might be, he should listen to the old groundsman a bit more.

I thought Smethurst came across very well and they've made a great job of the ground.

More trouble at Charnock Richard yesterday. The club have invited proganists in to explain. No mention of Ruel St or yer Maw.

https://macclesfieldfc.com/2022/01/22/a-message-from-our-owners/

Savage comes across as awful IMO although probably compared to normal humans. Compared to savage it's probably not too bad.

Why the f**k is he in the dressing room. Heavy Big Ron Manager vibes which is also god tier cringe TV 

Didn't know Martin Freeman had a performance like that in him. If you pushed the idea of The Responder, I think everyone would have recommended the same lead but what Freeman produced was on a par with what you'd had expected from Stephen Graham, but in a way that didn't steal the whole show. Strong cast in.general.

Maybe not the strongest storyline but as a character-piece, it was excellent.

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

Didn't know Martin Freeman had a performance like that in him. If you pushed the idea of The Responder, I think everyone would have recommended the same lead but what Freeman produced was on a par with what you'd had expected from Stephen Graham, but in a way that didn't steal the whole show. Strong cast in.general.

I'd totally agree with that. The story was hard to take entirely seriously but cannot fault the acting and as you say, Freeman was excellent, hopefully see him getting more roles like this 

On 05/02/2022 at 08:45, Radford said:

aye spot on.

I was almost annoyed the storyline wasn't great as was hoping for so much more when it started and it just didnt happen. 

Rumpole  of the Bailey on The Talking Pictures channel, it's a wee bit dated nowadays but still good , also it's seems like Patrica Hodge has always been old she looks practically the same age then as she does now .

The Missing ( series 1) on catch up , this is the series that was forerunner to Baptiste . James Nesbit and his wife are on holiday in France when their son disappears.

On 02/01/2022 at 20:58, The Naitch said:

Tears, snotters and clay everywhere. The Great Pottery Throw Down was back tonight.

Lucinda absolutely aced that main challenge so I'm glad the judges agreed. Hopefully Siobhan is back soon, Ellie was a bit dull for my liking.

What a delight it was to have Siobhan back this week. Was a close run thing between AJ and Jenny for star potter this week but AJ's otter was next level stuff. Hope they go on to win the whole thing.

Tonight's episode of Imagine... on BBC One was magnificent. Labi Siffre is an absolute inspiration and Alan Yentob, for all his faults, really gets the art of the documentary. It'll be on the iplayer for the next 30 days. Get it watched.

Quite enjoyed The Curse on channel 4. The folk from People Just Do Nothing in a cross between Snatch and Eastenders. I thought the first episode was the weakest and it took a bit of getting used to how drippy and annoying a couple of the characters were. Some fantastic motors from early 80s/late 70s.