The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Just back from my 1st visit and will NOT be my last...

Loved the city.The people.The Coffee..Simply just everything..

Wife took me for my 40th. Flew out monday mornin. Direct from glasgow to newark, 7hrs.Hoped on short air train to station then connection to Penn, Returnin friday night/Sat morn only takin 6hrs due to benefit tailwind...

Stayed in park central 56th street. 4star hotel. Very clean. Modern. Cleaners every day. Blah blah. 10/10..

Visited The high line. Coney island(Got minor sunstroke,My fault for not applyin sun cream) China town. Soho. Chelsea market.Walked brooklyn bridge. Empire state building. Grand central station. Central park and much more...

We bought a weekly subway ticket for $31 and still came home with sore feet , Subway line very easy to work out but many a time a local offered their help when we were looking at our map..

Soho was probably my fav part of NY of this trip,Very trendy,Laidback and some amazing wee cafes & Restaurants just off the main street...

Agree with an earlier poster that there is a restaurant for every platter and nationality, Visited ClubA steakhouse and 10/10 from me & Mrs Shed...

Finially if anyone going soon please PM me as need a small favour & i might be able to help them in return for their tripðŸ‘

Hint - Revolut card ideal for withdrawing money or using card in stores/shops for best currency rate . Download app on your phone and they send a card out within 7days, Any Questions hit the PM button and will do my best to help

Edited by shawfield shed boy

I've booked for 26th November for 5 nights with the missus. It will be our first time in NY and it's to celebrate my birthday.

Been reading through here and so many hints and tips. Will be pulling together a rough itinerary closer to the time.

Cheers for the help gents.

You'll love it! Try persuade the mrs to take you to a Basketball game, you have the knicks and the nets bound to have one at home in that stretch!

I reckon she will be game for it. When we go on city breaks we do normally do a football match (she surprisingly doesn't mind), so I'm sure I can talk her into baseball.

She has made me promise that we will do a show too.

We are staying in The Hudson on 58th St West (really close to Central Park). Flying direct from Edinburgh.

Christmas lights get switched on whilst we are there. I'm sure it will be too busy to even get close but will be nice for the missus!

• 3 weeks later...

Back from NYC a couple of weeks ago, second time being there.

Took a more chilled out holiday this time. Favourite part was the "Meat Packing District/ Chelsea Market" loads of nice restaurant/bars without the mayhem of Times Square. Rooftop bar on 5th avenue well worth a visit as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heading to New York for 4 nights mid-September, partly as a 30th birthday celebration for my wife. I've been trawling this thread and other places for advice and think I've compiled a decent list of things to do. Time Square, Top of the Rock, Central Park, couple of museums, Grand Central, One World Trade, Brooklyn Bridge, Broadway, etc.

Question is, what is something a bit different/special anyone could recommend? I was thinking maybe a night time boat cruise with bottle of champagne.

Also think I'll be arranging for a car to do a transfer from airport to hotel. Anyone able to recommend a decent company?

• 3 weeks later...

You won't need to book to go up the tower, people just walked into it - the same went for the Empire State and Rockefeller and was $35.

We booked tickets in advance for the museum but I'm not sure that was 100% necessary, we had a tour guid taking us around which was fine but if you are happy just walking around the place then its pretty much self explanatory and i don't think you would need to book in advance. Nearly a year ago we went!

Cheers Throbber.

Is the museum and the memorial all the same thing?

By memorial do you mean the water display in the footprint of the twin towers? You can just walk up to that its not part of the museum but there were tour guides taking some people around and talking to them at the pools and the surrounding areas. The museum is right near the pools, it doesn't look big from the outside but it goes right down underneath where the towers were, very cool I must say.

That sphere that was sitting in between the towers is sat at battery park for all to see and is quite cool to look at if you are that way, it was in between the towers when they came down and was largely intact after, you will see it if you are getting boat to Statue of Liberty.

The 9/11 museum is outstanding. 

Yeah - my 9/11 obsession had faded a bit by time I went there but I could have spent hours just standing at various places I recognised filming from. That wee church round the corner from it was completely covered in dust on the day and I thought it was right next to where the towers were but it is a fair distance!

At the sphere I was talking about in battery park there was a placard that said something like "the survival of this sphere sums up the resilient spirit of America" or some pish so I thought the 9/11 museum would be like that but you are right enough and it wasn't. I didn't find the museum that eerie or somber, found the entire area and the waterfalls were a bit but the museum itself wasn't that bad and didn't put me on a downer in any way.

Heading to New York for a week on Thursday. First time going. Only just discovered this thread so now trawling through it for tips.

Have made a rough plan of the most common touristy things to do. Also, really looking forward to going to New York City vs LA Galaxy (at Yankee Stadium) and the Star Wars Costumes Exhibit, at Discovery Times Square.

Not looking forward to the heat/humidity though...

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Whaddyawannno? Currently in Boston having just spent a week in nyc. No matter what anyone says New York City is a fantastic place.
For me top of the Rock is better than top of empire state simply because you get a pic of empire state. The other must do is the circle line tour. It's not cheap, nothing is, but it's great. Also, do Ellis island. The lower floor is a bit dry but go up and listen to the personal testimonies either on the audio tours or on the telephones by each exhibit. Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Couple of quick questions from me (never been before but going to NY from 26/11 until 01/12).

I am flying into JFK. What is the easiest way to get into Manhattan?

I am looking to book a show (Likely to be The Lion King). Where is the best place to book tickets?

Should I look to book tourist tickets for the attractions before I go? If so, best place to book these?

Appreciate that some of the above may be answered elsewhere, however any help would be magic!

Mitch - I was advised that a taxi into Manhattan would cost about $75 or more from JFK. We got the subway, first we needed to pay a few bucks to get out the airport circle and then we bought a weekly pass at the subway when out which got us everywhere we needed to get to in our time there, can't remember exactly how much the weekly ticket was but Google it!

You can book tickets to the shows at time square, you can't miss it and people will come and ask you what show you are wanting to see. Alternatively you can go into the venues nearby, I doubt the price for the lion king will change much and you won't get it for under the price stated online which was $130 for the cheapest ticket!

It depends what tourist attraction you want to go and see, if you are wanting to get into the crown of the Statue of Liberty you need to book months in advance.