The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

I have never been to Little Italy and only briefly ventured into Chinatown. My niece, who stays in Battery Park, always told us it would be a bit of a waste of time. And let's face it, there is no time to waste there.

I believe we are going to see The Lion King next month. Should I watch the movie before I go? Never seen it to be honest.

I certainly wouldnt say plan your day around visiting china town, i just thought it was cool to suddenly cross a street and it was like being in another country, different language, shop signs, street markets with fruit, veg and fish I had never seen and 15 minutes later you were out of it again.

In Little Italy we stumbled across the Feast of San Gennaro which was a big carnival that we never knew existed and stumbled across by accident.

So, I certainly wouldnt say they are a place to go as a destination or you will definitely see anything amazing but by walking through them between the big ticket items, on your way to battery park or WTC, then you never know what you could stumble across.

I have never been to Little Italy and only briefly ventured into Chinatown. My niece, who stays in Battery Park, always told us it would be a bit of a waste of time. And let's face it, there is no time to waste there.

I believe we are going to see The Lion King next month. Should I watch the movie before I go? Never seen it to be honest.

tumblr_m4tsramCAy1qzyang.gif

Almost as bad as my wife admitting last night that she had never seen Ghostbusters. Six months married and I've already started divorce proceedings so if anyone wants to come to Las Vegas and New York with me just let me know.

New York is not as good as I thought it would be. I did enjoy it but I'm not in a hurry to go back, the 8hr flight with no entertainment kind of started it off on the wrong foot. Avoid Ellis island save the $18 and get the staton island ferry. 9/11 museum was interesting has a old Nokia still on full charge :lol: it is a nice place when its sunny and 2days as a stop over would be plenty any longer it just gets tiring. Avoid the CD guys and the Elmo's in times square they are cocks and that stardust diner is shit, the staff are shit and annoying they add a tip to the bill but come round with a tip bucket before you see the bill. If I wanted to see failed actors while i ate breakfast I would watch celeb big brother

New York is not as good as I thought it would be. I did enjoy it but I'm not in a hurry to go back, the 8hr flight with no entertainment kind of started it off on the wrong foot. Avoid Ellis island save the $18 and get the staton island ferry. 9/11 museum was interesting has a old Nokia still on full charge :lol: it is a nice place when its sunny and 2days as a stop over would be plenty any longer it just gets tiring. Avoid the CD guys and the Elmo's in times square they are cocks and that stardust diner is shit, the staff are shit and annoying they add a tip to the bill but come round with a tip bucket before you see the bill. If I wanted to see failed actors while i ate breakfast I would watch celeb big brother

Can I add that the food in the stardust diner is also revolting.

Im thinking of going for 7 days in a few weeks time, what airline do you guys use ?

I heard about iceland air but they seem to be more expensive then skyscanner etc.

Also heard you can fly direct from Glasgow / Edin direct but i cannot find that either it appears to be a one stop at either London Heathrow or Amsterdam.

I usually buy flights and then book hotels but this time im thinking of doing it in one go, can anyone recommend a good site for flights and hotel ?

Im thinking of going for 7 days in a few weeks time, what airline do you guys use ?

I heard about iceland air but they seem to be more expensive then skyscanner etc.

Also heard you can fly direct from Glasgow / Edin direct but i cannot find that either it appears to be a one stop at either London Heathrow or Amsterdam.

I usually buy flights and then book hotels but this time im thinking of doing it in one go, can anyone recommend a good site for flights and hotel ?

united Airlines fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Newark airport non stop. I just checked and a return flight out from Glasgow on 30th March, returning a week later is at £404 just now

Just back from a 5 day trip and loved it. First time I've been but wouldn't rush to go back. Not a criticism but felt I did everything I wanted to do. Flew with United (good films absolutely dreadful food) and got flights and hotel(Tryp Wyndham Times Square for £1300 for two all in). Took the sky train to Newark Stn then train into Penn stn. Cost $12 each and on way home got the bus back from Port Authority Bus station for $17.

Felt NY was quite expensive, particularly to eat out for fairly tasty if basic food. Took a while to find a decent pub (lots of Irish bars of varying quality). West End Bar and Grill 8th at 49th was good, nice staff and a lovely Bronx Pale Ale on tap. Also Alfies in Hells Kitchen for good food and real pint glasses of beer. Bought the bus  tickets(green), got the full 5 days for $59 dollars each which included Uptown/Downtown/Brooklyn Tour/Night Tour/Boat Trip(East river and Hudson/Statue of Liberty and bike hire in Central Park which was good value. Guides are local New yorkers who tell it like it is and give good tips of where to go/where not to go and how much to pay etc. Take a good air of shoes for walking you will be doing plenty. Did the top of the rock at sunset which was spectacular ($32 each). Didn't see a show (hate musicals) but went to The Broadway Comedy Club. We paid $20 a ticket but they have a 2 drink minimum policy which is about $10 drink (usual bars $7-$8 so not ridiculous) We paid at the door but found out you could get the tickets at Times Square for about £10-$15 dollars. Still felt it was good value, seeing about 8 comedians most of whom were funny. Didn't feel unsafe at anytime although as mentioned previously be wary of guys handing out cd's one in particular became quite aggressive when told where to go.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

Just back from a 5 day trip and loved it. First time I've been but wouldn't rush to go back. Not a criticism but felt I did everything I wanted to do. Flew with United (good films absolutely dreadful food) and got flights and hotel(Tryp Wyndham Times Square for £1300 for two all in). Took the sky train to Newark Stn then train into Penn stn. Cost $12 each and on way home got the bus back from Port Authority Bus station for $17.

Felt NY was quite expensive, particularly to eat out for fairly tasty if basic food. Took a while to find a decent pub (lots of Irish bars of varying quality). West End Bar and Grill 8th at 49th was good, nice staff and a lovely Bronx Pale Ale on tap. Also Alfies in Hells Kitchen for good food and real pint glasses of beer. Bought the bus tickets(green), got the full 5 days for $59 dollars each which included Uptown/Downtown/Brooklyn Tour/Night Tour/Boat Trip(East river and Hudson/Statue of Liberty and bike hire in Central Park which was good value. Guides are local New yorkers who tell it like it is and give good tips of where to go/where not to go and how much to pay etc. Take a good air of shoes for walking you will be doing plenty. Did the top of the rock at sunset which was spectacular ($32 each). Didn't see a show (hate musicals) but went to The Broadway Comedy Club. We paid $20 a ticket but they have a 2 drink minimum policy which is about $10 drink (usual bars $7-$8 so not ridiculous) We paid at the door but found out you could get the tickets at Times Square for about £10-$15 dollars. Still felt it was good value, seeing about 8 comedians most of whom were funny. Didn't feel unsafe at anytime although as mentioned previously be wary of guys handing out cd's one in particular became quite aggressive when told where to go.

Why didn't you just ignore him?

Can i ask who you done the booking with ?

Im going to go within the next 4-5 weeks for the 1st time, im still not sure wether to go for 7 days as planned or to cut it down to 5, im going on my own mostly sight seeing, photography etc

Ive been checking out various sites and it was looking like booking flights from Glasgow via London then booking a separate hotel is the cheaper route but its been hassle trying to find the right combo.

Edited by wulliamwallace

Im going to go within the next 4-5 weeks for the 1st time, im still not sure wether to go for 7 days as planned or to cut it down to 5, im going on my own mostly sight seeing, photography etc

As long as you can afford it go for the full week, Wullie.  NY is a brilliant place and you'll never get bored.  The longest I was there for one stretch was a fortnight and I'd have happily have stayed longer.

Ive been checking out various sites and it was looking like booking flights from Glasgow via London then booking a separate hotel is the cheaper route but its been hassle trying to find the right combo.

Booked it through The Flight Centre, direct flights from Glasgow/ had initially looked at May but girl came up with earlier dates which worked out £1000 cheaper.

We stayed for 5 days but packed a lot in and were knackered every night so 7 days might be a better shout.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

Cheers guys, ill send the flight centre a query and see what the come up with because im not booking well in advance i think the prices are a wee bit dearer, ive looked at different website combos, trying to get flights and flights/hotels and they chop and change by the day.

At the moment im swaying towards lastminute with a hotel/flight combo there is a button to fly direct it goes up a bit but not the same increase if you were to fly direct without the hotel, from what i can gather all taxes are included in final price too. 

My sister stayed at the Marakesh she said it was ok but the room was tiny and noisy outside but im swaying towards pod51.

Im going to go for the 7 days im starting to buzz now itll be my first time in the USA its something ive always wanted to do, ive made up a wee list of places id like to see but knowing me ill just wing it :)