The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Looking to fly out in July, looking at about a grand each direct from Manchester.

I'm trying to convince the bird to spend an extra 300 and go from Edinburgh. Means a stop in Dublin, is it worthwhile going through Dublin to get the customs checks out the way?

Depends on where you're starting from.

Usually I'd go for direct flights, especially if the indirect ones are 30% dearer.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Sorry 300 between us, but would mean no need to stay a night at Manchester airport hotel/fuel costs, so would prob only really come to 150 extra.

Just had a check need about 3 hours to get through security in Dublin, so wouldn't work with flight times

So have we resolved this little dilemma to your burd's satisfaction?

Yeah I did, bit pricey tho, cheers

Never quite understood their pricing, up and down like a whore's drawers. I've had flights as cheap as £370 per person, and as expensive as £550 per person for the same time of year. Strange.

Going for the first time in April with the missus. Midwest Manhattan Holiday Inn Express. 5 nights from Edinburgh with transfers from jfk. £1650 for the two of us. Thought that wisnae bad. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in New York til Friday. Went to see Wicked with the wife last night. I have to say I was dreading it and was fully expecting to be clock watching after 20 minutes but it was absolutely superb.

Bought tickets for Wicked last night (I'm not in to musicals at all).

We are going for 6 days in April for our slightly delayed honeymoon (flying to Vegas for 6 days after NY). Also bought tickets for the Yankees and New York Rangers. We've bough two of these New York tourist passes for tickets to what seems like pretty much everything we want to see (Ellis Island, Top of the Rock, 9/11 Memorial etc).

Bought tickets for Wicked last night (I'm not in to musicals at all).

We are going for 6 days in April for our slightly delayed honeymoon (flying to Vegas for 6 days after NY). Also bought tickets for the Yankees and New York Rangers. We've bough two of these New York tourist passes for tickets to what seems like pretty much everything we want to see (Ellis Island, Top of the Rock, 9/11 Memorial etc).

We went to see the Mets and it was a great laugh.

Ellis Island and Liberty Island are great but wouldn't spend too much time there as there is better things to see. You do could do that and the 9/11 in the same day as they are quite nearby. The day we were visiting the islands we returned to manhattan and took the train over to Brooklyn and wandered about there then walked the bridge.

If anyone is booking tickets to Yankees games, there are some deals available where you can get tickets for $5 each if you use a MasterCard, we got two tickets for the Kansas City Royals game on 10th May. Can't believe how much of a bargain that is!

We had looked at getting tickets this kind of way but we have been saving for ages and it is our honeymoon so we've (well it's more me) have pushed the boat out for the Ice Hockey and Baseball. Can't believe how much 'good' seats go for! We've done the same for Wicked tickets, again just because it's our honeymoon and we want to go for it.

Tbh in terms of the view we've got the tickets are in the $60 range. Having paid more for tickets directly behind the batters etc I don't see the point in paying crazy money. Went to see Wicked with the Mrs when we were there last, even I enjoyed it. Baseball is a fantastic night out, you'll love it.

Aye I've been to see the San Francisco Giants a couple of times. The sport itself is pretty dreadful IMO but it's a great night out. Our tickets look decent on the virtual reality view thing you get when you book, but in all honesty we just went for tickets in the range of more than we would be willing to pay normally but not astronomical. Same with the other tickets (although I did read through a few Broadway blogs about views in the Gershwin Theatre for Wicked; which was enthralling...)