The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Im going over new year and we are staying at the standard hotel in the meatpacking district. Looks pretty decent. Not sure of the price as booked it with BA along with flights

Seems a bit out of our price range when i googled it just there - as a heads up to you if your wanting to visit the statue of liberty and go inside the crown i would book that now as we trired to book it 3 months in advance and couldn't get in!

Pretty sure we saw a reasonably priced hilton about 3 weeks ago that is no longer on offer so probably going to book accommodation pretty soon just can't find the right place just yet

Seems a bit out of our price range when i googled it just there - as a heads up to you if your wanting to visit the statue of liberty and go inside the crown i would book that now as we trired to book it 3 months in advance and couldn't get in!

Pretty sure we saw a reasonably priced hilton about 3 weeks ago that is no longer on offer so probably going to book accommodation pretty soon just can't find the right place just yet

Aye get the Statue of Liberty booked ASAP, IIRC it was booked up until August when we were over in April, it's ridiculous.

Aye get the Statue of Liberty booked ASAP, IIRC it was booked up until August when we were over in April, it's ridiculous.

I'm not sure I'd pay money to climb the SoL unless you want good views of 'not' the Statue of Liberty. You can, though, get great views from The Staten Island Ferry.

Indeed, a decent jaunt is to get the ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island. The last time I was there I had lunch in a good pub, watched a game of baseball then got the ferry back.

I really wish I had made more of NYC tbh, was staying in NJ with family I have out there and only ended up in the city 3 times, the view you get approaching the city from Newark is utterly outstanding, would never tire of looking at it.

We stayed in the Doubletree by Hilton Times Square South, it's on west 36th street just up from Penn Station, good location and comfortable hotel, for all the time you are actually in it! We got that hotel for 6 nights and flights from BA for £700 arriving 2nd September, dunno how much hotel alone would be

We stayed in the Doubletree by Hilton Times Square South, it's on west 36th street just up from Penn Station, good location and comfortable hotel, for all the time you are actually in it! We got that hotel for 6 nights and flights from BA for £700 arriving 2nd September, dunno how much hotel alone would be

We paid 700 between us for flights alone so I would imagine that would be reasonable!

We did book over a year in advance so maybe that played a part. The flight prices seem to have gone up since we were there as it been unable to get anything like that deal again on flights

That hotel doesn't seem to be less than 300 dollars per night you must have got a right good deal! Our flights were about 350 i think, maybe more actually

As noted already the best way seems to be to book everything through BA. We got 5 nights and flights 24th - 29th December for £675 with BA. Seems like the best way to do it.

We didn't see any offers like that otherwise we would have been on it. Going to book when we find a place we both agree on, won't be staying that much in the room but still want something semi nice

Pod 51 is decent hotel. Small but who cares, you're not in New York to spend time in your room. A room with a private bathroom is just over £100 a night. It's in a nice but quiet area too. You're going to struggle with those dates to get much cheaper. September is one of the most expensive months to visit New York.

Going to NYC For my honeymoon in November. Going to see the Jets, a Broadway show, top of the rock and some form of shopping trip (Woodbury has been recommended) so far. Is it worth taking a full day out to chill out in Central Park? Is there a lot to keep is occupied?

Edited by GingerSaint

We spent 4 hours in Central Park and didn't even get half way up it, so give yourself loads of time. The Loeb Boathouse has a cracking wee cafe. I would recommend eating there.

If you are going to Woodbury, get the car there as early as you can. First time we went we got picked up at 10am, by the time we got there it was nearly lunchtime. It's a good 50 mile to it, and the roads are shite.

Outlets are ok if you're in a place right beside them, there's sometimes a mega bargain, but in all reality stuff sold in most of these outlets is made for the outlet it's not 'high street' that doesn't bother some folks it doesn't bother me really. But the likes of macys etc are IMHO better for shopping, my mrs likes her Michael kors handbag and with the overseas discount the 'high street' and 'outlet' handbags despite difference in quality are pretty much the same price, same goes for the stuff I got there.

Agree with this. There's somethings you just shouldn't buy at the outlets. The exchange difference on some of the designer stuff is enough in the proper shops is enough. My mrs got an MK bag for 137quid in Macy's, same bag is 240 over her. I wouldn't waste a day out of New York to go 50 miles away shopping when you've got a whole city full of shops. If you're looking for 3 pairs of jeans for 50dollars then by all means go for it. If you're just going for a spoach then you're just as well staying in the city and making the most of it.

I'd also say to see anywhere near enough of Central Park you'd need about 5/6 hours. We spent 3 hours in it the last time we were there and when we looked on google maps we'd hardly even left Columbus circle.