The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

The actual game itself with Baseball is a sideshow. The important aspects are getting pissed, enjoying the view and the summer weather, a lot of yanks will even admit that. Its a great cultural thing to do and I'd recommend it to anyone. Major League Ballparks can be a bit of a rip-off, but its worth a jaunt.

• 4 weeks later...

Booking flights there for the end of August for 5 nights. Gonna have a day at flushing meadows i hope but apart from that its a bit undecided.

If anyone knows of decent hotels at about £100 per night then I'm all ears plus any advice on eateries etc would be just grrrreat

I live in New York and I can confirm that after going to see New York City FC playing I will not be back, horrendous standard of football and it's just not right in Yankee's stadium, the pitch looks tiny when you see it with your own eyes and there is just no excitement at all!

New York Red Bulls was a better experience just for the stadium alone which is a wee belter!

I live in New York and I can confirm that after going to see New York City FC playing I will not be back, horrendous standard of football and it's just not right in Yankee's stadium, the pitch looks tiny when you see it with your own eyes and there is just no excitement at all!

New York Red Bulls was a better experience just for the stadium alone which is a wee belter!

I was over a few weeks ago and loved Yankee Stadium, although I was there for the baseball which I presume is fairly different than for the footy, shame when I was there it was fucking freezing and the Yankees ended up getting beat though :lol:

Im going for 5 days - i fancy a day trip to DC to see the sights but the mrs doesn't want to go. Has anyone gone to D.C just for the day and can recommend it being a good idea? I know that its 240 miles so will be a long day but think it could be fun

Im going for 5 days - i fancy a day trip to DC to see the sights but the mrs doesn't want to go. Has anyone gone to D.C just for the day and can recommend it being a good idea? I know that its 240 miles so will be a long day but think it could be fun

my mate took the train down to DC for the day when he was in NY. He said it was pretty shite and a long day. There is no way you will do all you want to do in 5 days so dont waste a day travelling.

I did that when I went as a kid. It was such a long day and we just jumped on a tour bus when we got there.

I wouldn't recommend it. The bit I found most interesting was Arlington cemetery, which is huge.

Maybe its not a good idea then - just wanted to see the sights then f**k off but i suppose i may as well stay in the city!

Gonna get a day at flushing meadows hopefully which I'm looking forward most to

DC in particular Georgetown is my favourite part in the states. DC is an awesome city, you feel like every person you walk past rushing around with suits etc on is probably someone really important, then you watch the thick of it and it's obviously not true. I think you are probably gonna have enough to do in NYC though....

Yeah - i would have liked a good bit of time to travel about the states like do the east coast or do route 66 but we won't be able to afford it this time round :(

DC would be a good day out but will be a long time travelling to see the White house and that big Phallus

20150508_160951.jpg

Made it and it was a lovely walk there as well. I actually felt a bit emotional when I saw the view. I thought it would have been busier there as well to be honest. If you do go to that area, http://dumbokitchen.com/go there for a meal. Fantastic place and just next to the subway station back to Manhattan.

Wee tip for anyone going soon. Spend your spare dollars before you go for a pint at the airport, they only take payment by credit card now at the bars. Duty Free is OK though.

Booked up for new year. Leave on 29th december and back 2nd january. Staying in the standard hotel in the meatpacking district. Looks pretty sweet. That cow from made in chelsea stayed there last week so i am assuming its decent

I'm going back next October. Have to admit I found it very disappointing the last 2 times I've been. I'm going with my girlfriend and it's the first time I've been as an adult so I'm expecting good things.

I spent 2 hrs in a Internet café furiously refreshing to keep up to date with Croatia V Scotland in a 1-1 draw last time

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone able to recommend a good hotel for me ? £150 per night sort of range

Im going over new year and we are staying at the standard hotel in the meatpacking district. Looks pretty decent. Not sure of the price as booked it with BA along with flights