The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

I've been asked to go and "babysit" my niece's dog for 5 nights in October when she goes on holiday. Basically taking a dachshund out for a pish in the morning and a shite in the evening, leaving the rest of the time my own. That's the thing though, I will be on my own and they are only going to pay for my flights, but obviously I will be staying in their apartment in Battery Park. It's a lovely quiet wee bit of the city as well, which helps.

But, staying in New York for 5 days on my own is a bit daunting to be honest.

lolwut. are you six years old?

I've decided on doing the museums when I go. These things are probably best enjoyed on your own and haven't done them before.

Got to admit, I love the subway, and would love just exploring the city and not minding it I got of at the wrong stop every no and again.

I will need Trident Layers chewing gum by then as well, so I might as well go.

Check the Lord Sewel thread for ideas.

I've been asked to go and "babysit" my niece's dog for 5 nights in October when she goes on holiday. Basically taking a dachshund out for a pish in the morning and a shite in the evening, leaving the rest of the time my own. That's the thing though, I will be on my own and they are only going to pay for my flights, but obviously I will be staying in their apartment in Battery Park. It's a lovely quiet wee bit of the city as well, which helps.

Get yourself on tinder

I've decided on doing the museums when I go. These things are probably best enjoyed on your own and haven't done them before.

Got to admit, I love the subway, and would love just exploring the city and not minding it I got of at the wrong stop every no and again.

I will need Trident Layers chewing gum by then as well, so I might as well go.

Get yourself on tinder

I've been to NYC twice (on business) since I got divorced and both times I placed an ad on Craigslist saying something like:

Ancient Scots curmudgeon here for a week looking for his Nat King

I may have phrased it slightly differently but the gist was the same.

It worked both times. The girl I met the second time then visited me here in Bucks and also went on a trip to Norway with me.

Nothing ventured.......

Edited by The_Kincardine

I've been to NYC twice (on business) since I got divorced and both times I placed an ad on Craigslist saying something like:

Ancient Scots curmudgeon here for a week looking for his Nat King

I may have phrased it slightly differently but the gist was the same.

It worked both times. The girl I met the second time then visited me here in Bucks and also went on a trip to Norway with me.

Nothing ventured.......

^^^^Lord Sewell.

With all due respect, I reckon you're talking absolute shite. Flying someone transatlantic to look after a dug?

First World Problems thread for this pish.

With all due respect, I reckon you're talking absolute shite. Flying someone transatlantic to look after a dug?

Cool.

A couple with no kids, but with a salary from a Morgan Stanley team leader would rather have me watch their dog while he has to go to Las Vegas for a week working with his wife having a wee holiday at the same time.

They pay $2500 a month for their apartment in Battery Park, I don't think my air fair is a problem to them to be honest.

Cool.

A couple with no kids, but with a salary from a Morgan Stanley team leader would rather have me watch their dog while he has to go to Las Vegas for a week working with his wife having a wee holiday at the same time.

They pay $2500 a month for their apartment in Battery Park, I don't think my air fair is a problem to them to be honest.

Fare

Cool.

So these young, high-flying go-getters, happen to have no contacts in 'The Big Apple' who would be able to look after the mutt? They're forced to fly the old Uncle out from the other side of the pond.

Quite sceptical tbh. Why do you have to make up such tall tales? What are you hiding?

• 2 months later...

Heading to NYC on Thursday 22nd October for 4 nights. Staying in the Strand hotel near Times Square. Got a rooftop bar and good reviews so looking forward to it. http://mobile.thestrandnyc.com

Haven't had a lot of time to research stuff as work has been mental but todos planned so far (no particular order):

Top of the rock

Visit times square

Tenement museum

Shopping (macys for my mum and sis and the big massive golf shop in manhattan for my dad). The girls will spend a good few hundred I'd say, the lads not as much but still a fair amount.

Staten island ferry

Broadway show (not sure what one)

Central park, go for lunch in the boathouse

Keen on seeing a basketball match but need to research if theres one on and tickets etc

Maybe sopranos tour but not too comfortable with being out of NYC for too long tbh seems a waste

Not bothering about statue of liberty, looks cool but seems too much hassle for what you get.

Flying into and out of newark direct from/to Glasgow, thinking about getting a shuttle bus into near the hotel. Flights plus hotel per person just over a grand, cheaper than expected due to a limited offer on the hotel.

Got a few Q's if any NYC veterans don't mind me asking:

- I've heard mentions of various tickets/packages on various places, too many to keep track of to be honest. Are there any that would be useful for the above rough plan?

- Any rough areas to avoid that are easy to stumble into by accident? Is walking brooklyn bridge then getting the train back safe?

- Will I struggle for time to do all the above if there for four nights?

- Tipping - is 20% the norm for pretty much everything?

- Any other things worth seeing? Unmissable restaurants?

Sorry for the questions - hopefully any answers can benefit others too!

Cheers.

Edited by themenace92

Don't get the shuttle bus from Newark. Get the train into Penn Station.

Don't get a ticket offer. Never worth the money and don't get you access any quicker.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge and getting the train back is perfectly safe. That area of Brooklyn is very nice. If you went deep into the Bronx/Queens it might not be as safe but the main tourist areas are fine.

You should map out where everywhere you want to go is so that you can spend days in different areas. Use the subway to get everywhere. Cheap and really easy to use.

Tipping 20%, yep. Also tipping bar staff as well even if you are not eating.

Instead of a Sopranos tour do a food tour of the Lower East Side. The best thing to do in NYC in my opinion. So many different types of food that you would never visit without a tour guide. Knish is the best food ever which you will get to eat on it.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

I'm going for 7 days and not doing that much. Jets game, Broadway show, Top of the Rock, Central Park, Shopping and not much else. I don't want to cram everything in and have a military style itinerary. I want to enjoy the city in my own leisurely way.

I'm going for 7 days and not doing that much. Jets game, Broadway show, Top of the Rock, Central Park, Shopping and not much else. I don't want to cram everything in and have a military style itinerary. I want to enjoy the city in my own leisurely way.

This.

We did 5 days and did f**k all and had the best holiday ever. Giants game, les mis and the rest of the just wandered about.

Went to museums, bars, restaraunts, shops etc but nothing planned other than we knew what districts we were going to each day.