The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

The Pod hotels are decent nd good value for money so can't go wrong there. They are pretty small bit you're not going to New York to spend time in your room.

51st is a good central location with the E, M and 6th trains close by you'll get most places.

Pod 39 has a roof top bar.

Did you go breakfast or dinner?

My burrito was a bit meh but edible. Ajs deli just up from Madison square garden is good and cheap.

Lunch. I had a philly cheesesteak which had clearly been microwaved. The missus had some deep fried macaroni concoction.

Alcoholic milkshakes were good.

Thanks. How long does train take and how many change overs. Open to other reasobable priced options if known of buses,Taxi and cost of trains always my prefered method of travel at home or abroad

The train is easy enough. Get a little monorail thing (Air-train) from the terminal at Newark round to their train station. $13 for a single to Penn Station. It takes about 30 mins and there's no changes.  

Getting the train back from Penn to Newark was a wee bit trickier as it's massive but ask someone and you'll get back to the airport.

We used super shuttle. More expensive than the train but you get picked up at the front of the terminal and dropped off at the front door of the hotel, no fuss after a day of travelling. 

That's who I was going to recommend. Used them in New York, LA and Washington and not had any problems - aside from them turning up a bit early for the pick-up at the hotel!

Does leave you open to any problems on the roads but we've been quite lucky.

We used super shuttle. More expensive than the train but you get picked up at the front of the terminal and dropped off at the front door of the hotel, no fuss after a day of travelling. 

We've just booked this service for our trip, and despite kind of looking forward to the train journey as part of the 'experience', I'm secretly glad we can just get on a bus and be done with it.

Has anyone here ever been on the Brooklyn Brewery tour? If so, would you recommend it? Brooklyn Lager is one of my favourites so wouldn't mind a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to New York tomorrow for 5 nights. (Can't wait)

Any of you experts advise best means of travel for getting from Newark to Lexington Avenue? Staying at W Lexington.

Initially planned on getting a cab, then super shuttle but now thinking train/bus would be cheaper.

Cheers in advance.

Train to New York Penn. Where in Lexington Avenue? Might be able to jump on the subway from Penn or else get a taxi from Penn station to hotel.

ETA: Think your hotel is near the 51st/53rd Subway station. You could get the E train up there.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

Is this your first trip to NYC, Stevo?  If so, you'll have a ball.  Absolutely brilliant place for a few days.  Try and find a dive bar or two and a Jewish deli for lunch.

Yes, first time mate. Looking forward to it.

Have jotted down your comments re dive bars and Deli :)