The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Hope you are organised a bit better for when you get to the city.

Not a place to go without a bit of a plan.

Whilst I appreciate your concern friend, a full 5 day itinerary is in place.

Just a last minute thought on travel into the big city.

Hope you are organised a bit better for when you get to the city.

Not a place to go without a bit of a plan.

Disagree.  The boy's staying on the upper east side.  I could happily dauner about for 5 days with no plan and have a great time.

It's not exactly Methil.

I am having my fourth trip there next month. This time with a big group. Plans have been made. If some of the younger ones can't make the subway at 9am for a trip to Brooklyn, they are being left behind.

That day we have the Brooklyn Bridge, WTC, Staten Island Ferry, Highine and The Lion King at night.

Chances of being awake to see The lion King, virtually zero.

Disagree. The boy's staying on the upper east side. I could happily dauner about for 5 days with no plan and have a great time.

It's not exactly Methil.

I agree. We didn't plan anything before going and just took it easy enjoying the city. Was a great experience and we didn't do many touristy stuff.

I am having my fourth trip there next month. This time with a big group. Plans have been made. If some of the younger ones can't make the subway at 9am for a trip to Brooklyn, they are being left behind.

That day we have the Brooklyn Bridge, WTC, Staten Island Ferry, Highine and The Lion King at night.

Chances of being awake to see The lion King, virtually zero.

I've organized trips for biggish groups to foreign cities before. The only way to avoid warfare is to have a suggested itinerary but everyone does what they want but a couple of specific times a day to meet up, again if they want. If by younger ones you mean children of course that's a different thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Back after my split New York/Vegas honeymoon and I must say, New York is a fantastic city. It was pretty cold whilst we were there and it was quite windy which made it even colder but it was dry and really sunny on most days.

Things that were brilliant - 

Ice Hockey - Went to see the New York Rangers play Tampa Bay Lightning at Madison Square Gardens. The atmosphere, the facilities and the whole experience was brilliant. Yet again an example of actually providing fans with entertainment, good food, beer and an occasion that we sorely lack in this country at the football. 

Big Red Bus New York - First morning my wife convinced me to go on this and initially I wasn't convinced mainly down to me never really getting the whole tour bus idea. I must admit though it was really, really good (if a bit cold on top of the bus). The tour guide was informative and it took us through the main sights in downtown Manhattan (there's the Uptown tour too). It was just a really great way to see the city and there is plenty to see!

9/11 Memorial and Museum - The memorial is quite something to see but the museum itself is absolutely brutal but fascinating. It pulls no punches and isn't overly 'yeeha America'. 

Central Park - Just a great place to go and walk around. The thing that I found amazing was the mixture of the greenery and then the city skyline surrounding it. As you walk through it you can forget you are in the middle of this vast city but then you look up and see all the skyscrapers. Talking of views...

Top of the Rock - Bought tickets to this to go early in the morning and it was totally worth it. Amazing views of the city and much better than the Empire State.

12931238_10153601260291801_2699381070996

12936654_10153601260336801_1266853099029

Ellis Island - The Statue of Liberty is okay, worth seeing but the real attraction for the boat trip to me was the excellent Ellis Island museum. Really interesting and I managed to find the records to a couple of family members in the search facility they have.

Brooklyn Bridge - Got the Subway to Brooklyn so we could have a walk round and then walk across the bridge. Great views of Manhattan and Brooklyn is interesting. The bridge gets busy but we timed it well and got over quite easily amongst the crowds.

Club A Steakhouse - Hands down the best Ribeye Steak I have ever had. Service was brilliant and the atmosphere was top notch in this small but very friendly restaurant. They treated us to an additional free starter and free dessert, plus the manager was really good at coming over and asking us questions and chatting to us about our visit. If you go to New York and like steak you must, must visit this place.

Other worthy mentions...Yankee Stadium. I enjoy the baseball when I'm in the States and I liked this but we were bitterly cold so it wasn't as enjoyable as I would have liked. Glad we went though. Natural History Museum. The museum itself is pretty good but the planetarium they have is brilliant and the show we watched about deep space was excellent. The High Line. Again the weather meant it was a bit cold but this park built on a freight track above ground is a really enjoyable walk and I would recommend it. At the end of the High Line is the superb Chelsea Market. A building with lots of character, really well put together with loads of food for sale and a couple of flee market style sections. Wicked. I don't do musicals but I must admit this was very, very good. The talent on show is amazing and the voices/performances of the lead actresses was pretty breathtaking. Grand Central, very impressive building and good food in the court below the main level. Times Square, good to see if a bit chaotic.

I would recommend the Hilton Club West 57th Street for a hotel if you want something right in the middle of Manhattan within walking distance of almost everything. Good hotel with decent service, it is a good standard but is a bit basic in terms of amenities (you shouldn't really care with so much around you).

It wasn't fault free though. The main gripe was, for me, the amount of people trying to sell you stuff. Everywhere you went there are constant groups of ticket sellers and merchandise sellers trying to spot you and approach you. You get it lots of places but I found it pretty constant in New York and very, very frustrating.

All in all a great place to visit, especially if you like walking and exploring (plus the street layout makes everything ridiculously easy to find).

• 2 weeks later...

Back after my split New York/Vegas honeymoon and I must say, New York is a fantastic city. It was pretty cold whilst we were there and it was quite windy which made it even colder but it was dry and really sunny on most days.

Things that were brilliant -

Ice Hockey - Went to see the New York Rangers play Tampa Bay Lightning at Madison Square Gardens. The atmosphere, the facilities and the whole experience was brilliant. Yet again an example of actually providing fans with entertainment, good food, beer and an occasion that we sorely lack in this country at the football.

Big Red Bus New York - First morning my wife convinced me to go on this and initially I wasn't convinced mainly down to me never really getting the whole tour bus idea. I must admit though it was really, really good (if a bit cold on top of the bus). The tour guide was informative and it took us through the main sights in downtown Manhattan (there's the Uptown tour too). It was just a really great way to see the city and there is plenty to see!

9/11 Memorial and Museum - The memorial is quite something to see but the museum itself is absolutely brutal but fascinating. It pulls no punches and isn't overly 'yeeha America'.

Central Park - Just a great place to go and walk around. The thing that I found amazing was the mixture of the greenery and then the city skyline surrounding it. As you walk through it you can forget you are in the middle of this vast city but then you look up and see all the skyscrapers. Talking of views...

Top of the Rock - Bought tickets to this to go early in the morning and it was totally worth it. Amazing views of the city and much better than the Empire State.

12931238_10153601260291801_2699381070996

12936654_10153601260336801_1266853099029

Ellis Island - The Statue of Liberty is okay, worth seeing but the real attraction for the boat trip to me was the excellent Ellis Island museum. Really interesting and I managed to find the records to a couple of family members in the search facility they have.

Brooklyn Bridge - Got the Subway to Brooklyn so we could have a walk round and then walk across the bridge. Great views of Manhattan and Brooklyn is interesting. The bridge gets busy but we timed it well and got over quite easily amongst the crowds.

Club A Steakhouse - Hands down the best Ribeye Steak I have ever had. Service was brilliant and the atmosphere was top notch in this small but very friendly restaurant. They treated us to an additional free starter and free dessert, plus the manager was really good at coming over and asking us questions and chatting to us about our visit. If you go to New York and like steak you must, must visit this place.

Other worthy mentions...Yankee Stadium. I enjoy the baseball when I'm in the States and I liked this but we were bitterly cold so it wasn't as enjoyable as I would have liked. Glad we went though. Natural History Museum. The museum itself is pretty good but the planetarium they have is brilliant and the show we watched about deep space was excellent. The High Line. Again the weather meant it was a bit cold but this park built on a freight track above ground is a really enjoyable walk and I would recommend it. At the end of the High Line is the superb Chelsea Market. A building with lots of character, really well put together with loads of food for sale and a couple of flee market style sections. Wicked. I don't do musicals but I must admit this was very, very good. The talent on show is amazing and the voices/performances of the lead actresses was pretty breathtaking. Grand Central, very impressive building and good food in the court below the main level. Times Square, good to see if a bit chaotic.

I would recommend the Hilton Club West 57th Street for a hotel if you want something right in the middle of Manhattan within walking distance of almost everything. Good hotel with decent service, it is a good standard but is a bit basic in terms of amenities (you shouldn't really care with so much around you).

It wasn't fault free though. The main gripe was, for me, the amount of people trying to sell you stuff. Everywhere you went there are constant groups of ticket sellers and merchandise sellers trying to spot you and approach you. You get it lots of places but I found it pretty constant in New York and very, very frustrating.

All in all a great place to visit, especially if you like walking and exploring (plus the street layout makes everything ridiculously easy to find).

Great write up. Im off nxt monday as part of my birthday for the week. ðŸ‘

Totally unsure what to put im my case for my 5day trip nxt mon as never been.

Too warm for jeans. Too cold.ish for shorts...??!

A mate of mine came back a couple of weeks ago and on his last day said it was scorching, I'm going at the end of May and he says I'll be in shorts all day.

Totally unsure what to put im my case for my 5day trip nxt mon as never been.

Too warm for jeans. Too cold.ish for shorts...??!

You do tons of walking so don't wear jeans during the day. Jeans and walking all day don't mix unless you like beads of sweat running down your crack all day.

Anyone use a revolut card in NY

I used one and had no issues anywhere. Some of the ATM's didn't work but we were able to withdraw money in most places.

Edited by GingerSaint