The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

On 12/6/2016 at 10:53, Honest Saints Fan said:

Why would anyone use supershuttle or a can from the airport when the subway is so cheap and easy? Madness. 

Perhaps people don't want to go through the hassle of having your suitcase on the Subway, then having to walk from the Subway to your hotel with said suitcase. It's much more convenient to get a shuttle and I never had any problem with the service. 

From JFK we get a train to Penn Station. Less than an hour, cant remember how much it cost but pretty sure well under $20. $100 for a taxi is fucking madness.

Both times we have stayed midtown but if you wanted to go a bit cheaper and still be in the heart of decent food and nightlife nearby i would recommend Greenwich Village or Chelsea.

That's me officially booked to fly from Inverness on the 1st September and returning on the 12th September.  I will be staying in Greenwich Village for four nights, then going to Atlantic City for three nights (staying at the Golden Nugget) then coming back we will be staying in Queen's close to Flushng Meadows where we have tickets for the Men's Semis and Men's Final on the Friday and Sunday.  However since Murray hasn't made the semi finals since he has won, I will got either on the Sunday or Monday and just purchase a ground ticket watch the top guys train and watch some of the players I like on the outside courts.

Does anyone have any experience of travelling from New York to Atlantic City?  I see that it is easy enough to get the grey hound, the train seems to be a pain in the arse as you have to go to Philly and change.  I assume the best option will be just to hire a car for the three days.  Any recommendations?

I have seen that the Yankees host the Red Sox on the Saturday and Sunday, so will try and get tickets for that.  I contacted the Yankees directly.

So my question to you fellow posters is what do you recommend?  I really should go to a show since I missed that last time I was over.  Having read the thread will go to the boxing shrine, I not sure how I missed that as the last time I was over at New York it was for Calzaghe's last fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited New York for the first time since 1999 on Boxing Day. I've been collected Dead Presidents with the missus for about a year and we picked up Teddy Roosevelt on Long Island on Christmas Day, then swung into the city on Boxing Day to get Ulysses S Grant. His tomb was closed for the holidays but it was a nice day for walking around Colombia University grounds. Then we walked through Central Park and visited the 9/11 memorial, which was pretty amazing. Surprise of the day was the new Oculus building that's right next to the memorial. Doesn't look like much from the outside -- a bit like a whale's tail -- but when you go in, it goes underground and is fucking enormous. It's a shopping mall / transportation hub with links on to Fulton Street subway and the PATH rail system. Incredible building. Loved wandering around the city, even if it was just for the day. Brilliant place.

Next day, we went to Poughkeepsie for Franklin D Roosevelt, whose grave was definitely the pick of the bunch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2017 at 19:04, Honest_Man#1 said:

Would people recommend flying into JFK or Newark if given the choice?

Not a huge difference for flying in, but I've definitely found JFK far easier for flying back - security at Newark was a complete shambles when I was there

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2017 at 19:04, Honest_Man#1 said:

Would people recommend flying into JFK or Newark if given the choice?

JFK for sure. Newark is a pain in the erse after a long flight.

Best city on earth and you'll need 5 days just to scratch the surface.

P1110336.JPG

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Chose JFK in the end and going for 6 days. Really looking forward to it now.

Can't wait to go back. Recommend the Circle line boat tour on day 1. Helps you get your bearings for the week ahead.

https://www.circleline42.com/cruises-and-schedules/best-of-nyc-cruise/

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Going next week, excited etc. Quick question re: ID in bars / restaurants do they accept overseas driving licences or am I going to have to carry my passport about all the time? Suspect it’s the latter but just thought I’d check.

Long since past being IDd in Scotland but I know how severe they are over there.

Cheers, had an issue in New Zealand a couple of years ago where they wouldn't accept my mate's UK driving license tho it was at an event where it did specify to the bar staff that only domestic driving licences were valid ID (I don't think we were asked for ID anywhere else in the country), so was wondering if similar applied in the USA.

Last time I was over I just took my passport everywhere which could have been a bit risky if I'd got steaming and lost it.

On 2/21/2017 at 17:01, Fuctifano said:

Cheers, had an issue in New Zealand a couple of years ago where they wouldn't accept my mate's UK driving license tho it was at an event where it did specify to the bar staff that only domestic driving licences were valid ID (I don't think we were asked for ID anywhere else in the country), so was wondering if similar applied in the USA.

Last time I was over I just took my passport everywhere which could have been a bit risky if I'd got steaming and lost it.

If you buy bevvy in their equivalent of an off license you'll be asked for ID...however old you look.

In bars/pubs/clubs probably not...but I always carry one of my passports anyway.

I had a massive argument with a shop owner in California over my passport. Apparently it wasn't valid ID. Managed to travel half way round the world with it, get through passport control but couldn't then buy half a dozen bottles of beer. I'm ashamed to say I played the "stupid American" card. It didn't go down very well.