The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Bought tickets for Wicked last night (I'm not in to musicals at all).

Me neither but I'm certain anyone would appreciate it. Done the same as you and splurged on the seats. We were in what they call Orchestra, Row Q right in the middle. The view was fine. The pair of tickets was about $300 but given that the cheap seats would have been about $200, it's well worth paying a wee bit more.

Enjoy yourself :thumsup2

I was the same when we went to Chicago, the Mrs loved it and it was her favourite night in NYC but I really couldn't get into the musical thing. I just sat bored for 2 hours drinking $13 Budweiser.

We went to see Rocky ( the stage show) in one of the theatres, when we were there, I enjoyed it and there is a bit of audience participation, the production is excellent and supposedly the guy who played the lead was some great actor, I don't think it was Stallone though... Excellent rounds of boxing and Apollo Creed was a brilliant character.

Glad I didn't bother then.

I have seen Wicked, Jersey Boys and the Lion King though, and they are all fantastic.

I don't think it was Aladdin that was the problem for me - just musicals in general. Lion King was twice the amount but may have been worth it.

My GF said the Baseball was the best thing she did there so would rather another night like that rather than the theatre. She almost talked me into doing 2 nights at Broadway FFS :lol:

Glad I didn't bother then.

I have seen Wicked, Jersey Boys and the Lion King though, and they are all fantastic.[/quote

Agree saw Jersey boys in Vegas and it was really good, I quite like the music of the 4 seasons so maybe I'm biased?

I thought that until I saw We will Rock You in Londo,

As a huge Queen fan, that was a pile of sh*te.

Oh you do some amount of walking.

On our third day this year we walked from our hotel up to central park, down to chelsea and along the highline to Greenwich Village and down to ground zero/wall street then back up to Little Italy for a bite to eat.

Got to bed and night and was completely broken. Think it worked out about 10miles of straight walking bar any wandering about when we were in shops or anything like that.

What a place though. Can't wait to go back again/

Oh you do some amount of walking.

On our third day this year we walked from our hotel up to central park, down to chelsea and along the highline to Greenwich Village and down to ground zero/wall street then back up to Little Italy for a bite to eat.

Got to bed and night and was completely broken. Think it worked out about 10miles of straight walking bar any wandering about when we were in shops or anything like that.

What a place though. Can't wait to go back again/

Can you not flit about in the subway like most people do in London?

The subway is brilliant as well. I was scared of it the time time I went, but the next time, I had a map on my mobile which made me a lot more confident about where I was going. But you still have a lot of walking to do regardless of your use of the subway.

My favourite day out of the three times I have been there so far involved going on my own and just wandering up Fifth Avenue, buying stuff from shops I really shouldn't have, watching a dance troupe outside the Plaza while having lunch and going back down Sixth Avenue and having a couple of pints here and there. You see more walking about on your own.

I also go wandering early in the morning, about 7am when it is nice and quiet. You can get some cracking photos from April till October at that time of day.

The missus has a GPS. We walked between 12 and 15 miles a day. Never took subway once, just feel there is too much you would miss.

Depends what you are into though, if you just want big touristy stuff or if you want to wander through China town, little Italy, Chelsea etc and find the cool wee, shops, bars and delis.

Would also recommend having a wee wander at 6-7 am when it's dead. Easy to do whilst your body clock is still fucked. I had a wander around whilst waiting for the pub to open to watch the derby.

The missus has a GPS. We walked between 12 and 15 miles a day. Never took subway once, just feel there is too much you would miss.

Depends what you are into though, if you just want big touristy stuff or if you want to wander through China town, little Italy, Chelsea etc and find the cool wee, shops, bars and delis.

Would also recommend having a wee wander at 6-7 am when it's dead. Easy to do whilst your body clock is still fucked. I had a wander around whilst waiting for the pub to open to watch the derby.

The bits in bold were it for me, you could easily get the subway down, and i actually really like the NYC subway - far more than London - but we stumbled across so many cool places by walking that we'd never have seen on the subway. Ended up in some great little places, found a really cool record shop in the village that had 100s of old vinyls for $1.

found walking around early in the morning really eerie . Was out and about at 7.30am on Xmas morning and there wasn't anyone on the streets almost had the whole grand central terminal to ourself.

I can't wait to go back. Have done all the touristy stuff now, just happy to go and walk about probabyl take in another show too and try and get out to Yankee Stadium too.