The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Think we tipped 15% when we were there. The bill often has a bit at the bottom telling you what the various percentages are.

The two main multi-attraction passes are https://www.newyorkpass.com/and http://www2.citypass.com/new-york I used the first one and it was great. Skips you lines at a few places and a few other fringe benefits like discounts etc.

If you're going to a show and don't have a particular one in mind use the tkts booth in Times Square (under the big red steps) for much cheaper tickets. There's also a booth at South Street Sea Port.

- Will I struggle for time to do all the above if there for four nights?

Think you will be able to cram it all in but its good not to have too tight an itinerary as its good just to wonder about.

- Tipping - is 20% the norm for pretty much everything?

I tipped about this in restraunts, when they give you a receipt it says recommended gratuity. We went for one breakfast place near Grand Central that said it was the best breakfast in New York (It featured in the film friends with benefits the waiter told us) The food was bog standard and the service was awful considering how long it took them to deliver such average food and they expected a 20% tip and we just paid it incase there was a fall out over it! Im not even sure bar staff expect a tip as they tended to look at me funny when i told them to keep the change or hand over a couple of bucks so I'm really not sure what the expectation is.

- Any other things worth seeing? Unmissable restaurants?

9/11 museum - if you don't want to do the tour the site is still a must for visiting New York IMO. Think you were right enough not to want to go Statue of Liberty, its alright and you get a good view of the city from over there but pretty much as you would expect.

Sorry for the questions - hopefully any answers can benefit others too!

Cheers.

Big thanks to everyone on their replies, very helpful.

On the subject of Broadway shows, we like the look of Aladdin, Lion King or Jersey Boys but the prices online seem steep (£85 and above on broadway.showtickets.com). It was mentioned before that buying them under the booth in person gets you cheaper tickets - but if I did that would there not be a good chance of them selling out as it would be on the day of/ the day before the show?

Or are those ticket prices normal and I'm just a tightar$e? :)

Edited by themenace92

Big thanks to everyone on their replies, very helpful.

On the subject of Broadway shows, we like the look of Aladdin, Lion King or Jersey Boys but the prices online seem steep (£85 and above on broadway.showtickets.com). It was mentioned before that buying them under the booth in person gets you cheaper tickets - but if I did that would there not be a good chance of them selling out as it would be on the day of/ the day before the show?

Or are those ticket prices normal and I'm just a tightar$e? :)

That's standard prices.

Yes, if you have your heart set on one particular show it may sell out, but, make yourself comfy I'll tell you a story.

We queued up at the time square booth at 1pm on the Saturday. We were set on les mis so wanted to make sure we got it. The waiting time was about 3 hours.

One of the polis heard us chatting and heard our accents and we got talking. He was a MacDonald. Anyway, he said just to come back about half hour before shows were due to start. There would be no queue, all theatres were within a 10 minute walk and he would 99% guarantee nothing sells out. They might sell out online but there always returns,no-shows etc

So that's what we did, straight up to the booth. Two tickets for Le Mis for $30 each, worth $95 each. In our seats 15 minutes later.

We were told prices went down if you went to the place on the day and asked for availability. Cheapest for Lion King was still $130 each. Went to Aladdin instead and paid that for the 2 tickets. Was a decent enough night but i was half asleep by end of it, really not my thing!!

• 1 month later...

Just back. What a fucking place! What should have been 5 days turned into 6 due to fog in England delaying us for a day. Stayed in the new Yorker in manhattan. Comfy enough and ideally located. Breakfast is king and me the wife and weans had a feast every morning eg French toast waffles bacon sausage eggs pancakes with gallons of syrup. Did not need to eat again until evening. Diners are great to eat in. Better value than a lot of the restaurants. Main sightseeing stuff was top notch and the queues moved quite quickly. Felt very safe and the locals were very helpful. To be honest we are all a bit pissed off to be back such was the impact of the place, cannot wait to go back. We used the new York pass and found it to be great value. It would take forever to see it all as the scale of the place is mind boggling. If anyone is going soon and needs help getting around then I'm your man. Loved every minute

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah all NYC boroughs. Not many people aware of it but a lot of people turn up to find the apartment they've rented doesn't actually exist or not how it was advertised. Even heard of people staying in an apartment and it being raided and tourists chucked out because the owner shouldn't be renting it out as a holiday apartment. I think you can only rent if it's for over 30 days or something like that.