The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Pod 51 is decent hotel. Small but who cares, you're not in New York to spend time in your room. A room with a private bathroom is just over £100 a night. It's in a nice but quiet area too. You're going to struggle with those dates to get much cheaper. September is one of the most expensive months to visit New York.

Pod 39 has a rooftop bar so mrs throbber preferred that although i think its pretty much same as 51. Think we will book it on Friday - thanks!

It's fucking annoying how when booking a hotel they say the price but don't include the tax they're going to add on to that price until you go to complete the booking. It's also annoying how you can't pay now

Pod 51 is decent hotel. Small but who cares, you're not in New York to spend time in your room. A room with a private bathroom is just over £100 a night. It's in a nice but quiet area too. You're going to struggle with those dates to get much cheaper. September is one of the most expensive months to visit New York.

Booked the pod there but we went for 39 which is pretty close . 160 per night

Minor league games are much better craic

New York City doesn't really do minor league though. MLS is OK and is getting better every season, but to sample a bit of American sporting culture if you are there only for a few days I'd check out a Mets or a Yankees game.

• 1 month later...

Just booked a guided tour of the 9/11 memorial and museum, doing that on the second day we're there and statue of liberty on first day which we already booked

Got 3 more days to think about, i fancy a day at flushing meadows as its when the open is on but Mrs Throbber doesn't like the idea so much

Booking to go and see a show as well :)

If you want a cheap day, walk the Brooklyn Bridge in the morning, Go http://dumbokitchen.com/ for lunch (trust me, it's brilliant), get the subway back to Manhattan, head down to South Ferry Station and do the Statten Island Ferry and forget about going to the Statue of Liberty which looks like a waste of a trip to me. Been twice, and it doesn't interest me.

Go to Central Park, head to Strawberry Fields, you never know who will run into. I met Yoko.

We went first week in September and I was all for going to the U.S. open, but there was far too much to do and see in and around the city to be stuck in the same place for a day!

We did a ferry trip and never bothered with the trip to the Statue of Liberty, got really close some great pictures of Manhattan and the statue.

Agree with the above if the weather is nice an afternoon in Central Park is a great way to take a breather!

Yeah for sure - Statue of Liberty is already booked but it's only an hour trip I think! Heard the 9/11 is quite full on and emotional but I'm sure it will be great. Walking the bridge is a defo!

Honestly try and get a Big Apple Greeter tour and do it around somewhere like Harlem, Brooklyn, somewhere you wouldn't find yourself visiting as a tourist. Also a must for me is a food walking tour of the lower east side. Amazing. Also the Tenement museum is a fascinating place.

So jealous. I want to go back right now but saving myself and going to go for Christmas Day next year.

Honestly try and get a Big Apple Greeter tour and do it around somewhere like Harlem, Brooklyn, somewhere you wouldn't find yourself visiting as a tourist. Also a must for me is a food walking tour of the lower east side. Amazing. Also the Tenement museum is a fascinating place. So jealous. I want to go back right now but saving myself and going to go for Christmas Day next year.

I'll report back as to how it is over Christmas Day/Boxing day time.

Honestly try and get a Big Apple Greeter tour and do it around somewhere like Harlem, Brooklyn, somewhere you wouldn't find yourself visiting as a tourist. Also a must for me is a food walking tour of the lower east side. Amazing. Also the Tenement museum is a fascinating place. So jealous. I want to go back right now but saving myself and going to go for Christmas Day next year.

I'll keep that in mind- will try and have a proper itinerary to stick with though I think as we are only there 5 days we need to have a plan rather than just go with the flow which is what we tend to do when we go anywhere !

The New York Mets are playing a home game would that be worth a trip ?

When I was at baseball a few years back the game was pretty dull but the atmosphere is fantastic and they beer, wasn't too expensive either so I'd say it's worth going for a night even just to experience it.

When I was at baseball a few years back the game was pretty dull but the atmosphere is fantastic and they beer, wasn't too expensive either so I'd say it's worth going for a night even just to experience it.

Yeah i was obviously thinking about the beer when i came up with the idea. Think it will be decent enough, baseball is a dull sport though but will be different

If you have no interest in baseball then its a waste of 3 hours just to drink watered down beer.

You'd be better off doing something that interests you.

I've been asked to go and "babysit" my niece's dog for 5 nights in October when she goes on holiday. Basically taking a dachshund out for a pish in the morning and a shite in the evening, leaving the rest of the time my own. That's the thing though, I will be on my own and they are only going to pay for my flights, but obviously I will be staying in their apartment in Battery Park. It's a lovely quiet wee bit of the city as well, which helps.

But, staying in New York for 5 days on my own is a bit daunting to be honest.

I've been asked to go and "babysit" my niece's dog for 5 nights in October when she goes on holiday. Basically taking a dachshund out for a pish in the morning and a shite in the evening, leaving the rest of the time my own. That's the thing though, I will be on my own and they are only going to pay for my flights, but obviously I will be staying in their apartment in Battery Park. It's a lovely quiet wee bit of the city as well, which helps.

But, staying in New York for 5 days on my own is a bit daunting to be honest.

Have you considered not being a great big shitebag?

I've decided on doing the museums when I go. These things are probably best enjoyed on your own and haven't done them before.

Got to admit, I love the subway, and would love just exploring the city and not minding it I got of at the wrong stop every no and again.

I will need Trident Layers chewing gum by then as well, so I might as well go.