The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Everrthing about safe standing is framed in relation to the EPL. No surprise that they have to do something about the "optics" of it given that the entire league is built.on appearances.

What would the Falkirk fans get up to if you were allowed to stand Bairny ... ? 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:
What would the Falkirk fans get up to if you were allowed to stand Bairny ... ? 

Have you ever tried launching mock body parts sitting down?

No I’ve not ... tough ? 

I don't have a huge issue with "safe standing" in this case as it's clearly designed so that the seats can be brought back for European games (and I guess they could be a neutral venue for Internationals as the Emirates et al have been, or part of a World Cup bid) where there is still an all seated rule. It could probably just be called removable seating or something to stop annoying people who don't like the term I guess. Where the term "safe standing" is totally inappropriate is when folk talking about developing or building new grounds in Scotland where their club is unlikely to need 10,000 odd seats (ourselves, Falkirk, etc).

The only safety advantage seating has over standing is that everyone has an allocated place, so overcrowding is much less likely to ever happen unless there is widespread disregard for the allocations (as in parts of Hampden recently for Scotland v Poland). Even at Hillsborough, even with all the other f**k ups that caused the disaster, if the tickets for the Leppings Lane end had specified which of the five pens the ticket was for, and there was clear signage from the turnstiles, it's very unlikely the crush would have happened.

Or, better still, there hadn't been any pens and the crowd could just disperse sideways, or over the front wall in an emergency.

It's the current trend of using  safe/safety to try and quell any dissent at source when trying to hide the real reason of the purpose. The actual name of rail seating is just fine.

“rail seating” is an even more problematic name

Can it be “seating” when you can’t sit on it?

47 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The only safety advantage seating has over standing is that everyone has an allocated place, so overcrowding is much less likely to ever happen unless there is widespread disregard for the allocations (as in parts of Hampden recently for Scotland v Poland). Even at Hillsborough, even with all the other f**k ups that caused the disaster, if the tickets for the Leppings Lane end had specified which of the five pens the ticket was for, and there was clear signage from the turnstiles, it's very unlikely the crush would have happened.

Or, better still, there hadn't been any pens and the crowd could just disperse sideways, or over the front wall in an emergency.

Hillsborough is of course the thing that folk think is stopping terracing coming back for many clubs and something a lot of people stupidly bring up as an argument against it.

Terracing had nothing to do with it though. The fact that folk could stand at the football killed no one. It never has. Overcrowding caused by shit policing, shit design and draconian shite like fences caused the deaths.

Like I said before, you wouldn't try and cram 5000 folk in to a stand that held 2000.

The change to all seater was a government driven thing that greedy money guys in football jumped on and used to drive prices up and rip fans off. 

Hillsborough is of course the thing that folk think is stopping terracing coming back for many clubs and something a lot of people stupidly bring up as an argument against it.
Terracing had nothing to do with it though. The fact that folk could stand at the football killed no one. It never has. Overcrowding caused by shit policing, shit design and draconian shite like fences caused the deaths.
Like I said before, you wouldn't try and cram 5000 folk in to a stand that held 2000.
The change to all seater was a government driven thing that greedy money guys in football jumped on and used to drive prices up and rip fans off. 

You do seem to be treating “Safe” as just meaning “Non fatal”

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think it's a surprise that such a shocking event as Hillsborough might provoke an overreaction in some aspects and I don't think it's fair to overly criticise those tasked with making sure it never happened in their ground or their league. British football grounds were well below acceptable safety levels and what followed greatly improved safety, as well as comfort. It's been a long time since I read about it in detail but I'm sure there were relatively frequent lower-leg injuries like sprained ankles in large, moving crowds. I remember getting shifted 5 yards when goals were scored, it's inevitable you'll get trips and bangs in that.

The thing about standing isn't that it's inherently safer, it's that what goes along with it - allocated spaces, unique tickets, controlled density, controlled access to specific ares, no crowd motion - is safer. But IMO you can have all of the benefits through good design rather than seats.

It's worth going back to the Taylor Report and reading what he said on standing (from page 12): https://web.archive.org/web/20140330053408/http://southyorks.police.uk/sites/default/files/hillsborough stadium disaster final report.pdf

On 08/12/2018 at 21:07, DA Baracus said:

Surely having one person per seat is an easier way to prevent overcrowding, than just letting folk pile into terracing until it's full?

I find it a bit bizarre people get so worked up about them having seats available in standing areas, and when it gets called safe standing. The outrage all seems a bit millennial "everything is awful and forced upon us" type.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:32, DA Baracus said:

'Safe standing' :lol:

Why are folk not questioning this bullshit?

I think the "Safe standing" thing is a political label rather than meant as any kind of serious description. Given absolutely everything in top level football in the UK that is remotely related to crowd issues is framed with what happened at Hillsborough, it's a fairly obvious way to name it.

Rail seating is the way ahead for me, fwiw. Aside from letting folk who want to stand, stand without worrying about tripping over or battering their knees or shins on the seat in front, it means all the old c***s can take a seat and everyone is happy. If anything, it is probably safer than existing all seater designs, where people stand anyway. The fact there is even discussion on the issue is the ridiculous thing.