The Alloa Athletic Thread

If I haven’t got my games mixed up the 2-2 one was a Tuesday night where we went with no manager. Something about mid-week and clawing them back with the second after seemingly lost out was just so sweet. To top it off at 2-2, we subbed on Michael Chopra for his debut. All he did was body a boy in the air but still got everyone going. 

Buchanan that year was absolutely superb. High teen goals and more goals at Ibrox than Kris Boyd, which is always funny. Buchs definitely one of the best SPFL forwards of all-time.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The question is which Buchanan goal at Ibrox is best...seeing as he scored twice there in the same season. 🙂

The 1-1 game rounded off one of the most memorable football weekends. Scotland had beaten Rep of Ireland on the Friday at Celtic Park, and it had a proper big game feel to it, the stadium atmosphere was brilliant. Had low expectations for Alloas trip to Ibrox the following day but Buchanans equaliser was some moment.

As much as that trip was great, the midweek 2-2 was even better- Ben Gordon header taking the lead on the night and a really well worked equaliser with brilliant play by McCord and Docherty in the build up. In terms of losing my mind when a goal goes in, the Buchs goal that night is definitely in my top 5.

The appropriate test for judging how good any goal is! 😀

The second goal in the 2-2 game was a beautiful bit of play which typified that Alloa team. I remember McCord's pass being described in the media as a "hopeful through ball". In reality it was just another example of the kind of pass we saw regularly from him. A great player in a great team. 

Here it is :

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

The second goal in the 2-2 game was a beautiful bit of play which typified that Alloa team. I remember McCord's pass being described in the media as a "hopeful through ball". In reality it was just another example of the kind of pass we saw regularly from him. A great player in a great team. 

Here it is :

Even more beautiful than I remember. Wow.

1 minute ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Any plans for a post season interview with Brian Rice @Kevchenko @KierenAAFC

We are shortly recording a short episode to try and sum up last weekend and are going to have a chat about the summer - funnily enough your suggestion is on my list. 

Not sure if he will be up for it or not and if he is, wether to do it as an end of season one or ahead of next season. 

Seen a few teams announcing players re-signing for the upcoming season, including Raith Rovers 'Dick extension' tweet.

I think we have Scougall and Cammy signed up on a two year deal.

Not sure if we'll look for massive changes or just look to build on what we have.

Don't see Stanger or Church staying, reckon they'll get full time offers. Possibly Coulson too. Didn't expect Boyd to get offered a full time deal last season, so it's anyone's guess who'll move up

We'll likely need to build a whole new defence in summer, so would be good to see us retain other players further up the park. Would definitely be looking to sign Donnelly permanently. Would also hope to see Sammon and MacIver still at the club, and obviously Cawley. Coulson another I'd get signed up on a new deal.

Expect Durnan to go, as well as aforementioned Church and Stanger who are likely to get full time offers. As much as it pains me it's probably time up for Andy. Taggart hopefully stays, whilst Doyle may be looking to stay full time, although it's another guy I would like to see us sign if possible. I've heard Jamieson of Kelty touted for goalkeeper next season.

7 hours ago, Waspie said:

Here it is :

That was Derek Ferguson being as impartial as you would expect. I could happily watch that Buchanan goal on a loop for hours.

4 hours ago, Rory said:

Seen a few teams announcing players re-signing for the upcoming season, including Raith Rovers 'Dick extension' tweet.

I think we have Scougall and Cammy signed up on a two year deal.

Not sure if we'll look for massive changes or just look to build on what we have.

Don't see Stanger or Church staying, reckon they'll get full time offers. Possibly Coulson too. Didn't expect Boyd to get offered a full time deal last season, so it's anyone's guess who'll move up

Dan Church always a stand out for me when I've watched the Wasps. Interesting to see who comes in for him. Not many quality left wing backs around. I'd take him at Cove any day. Fully aware that won't materialise. We never replaced Harry Milne who was outstanding.

Rice seems to have done a valiant job in his first year. Expecting him to recruit wisely and try to push on higher again next year 

11 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The question is which Buchanan goal at Ibrox is best...seeing as he scored twice there in the same season. 🙂

Never thought when I started supporting Alloa, that one day we would be debating which goal in our two Ibrox draws in one season was the best.

Having watched the second Buchanan goal again it was definitely the better of the two, but enjoyed the first one more because I think it was so unexpected after going a goal down.

Docherty and McCord were absolutely brilliant that night in midfield, and by the time we got to the second game was almost expecting us to get something. Add to that the inclusion of a cult player who once cost £5m and the confidence levels for that game were higher than they should have been for a game against an old firm team.

One of my favourite ever Alloa teams alongside those in the Tom Hendrie and Terry Christie era.

14 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

We'll likely need to build a whole new defence in summer, so would be good to see us retain other players further up the park. Would definitely be looking to sign Donnelly permanently. Would also hope to see Sammon and MacIver still at the club, and obviously Cawley. Coulson another I'd get signed up on a new deal.

Expect Durnan to go, as well as aforementioned Church and Stanger who are likely to get full time offers. As much as it pains me it's probably time up for Andy. Taggart hopefully stays, whilst Doyle may be looking to stay full time, although it's another guy I would like to see us sign if possible. I've heard Jamieson of Kelty touted for goalkeeper next season.

For me the two main players I want signed up are Kev and Taggart, two of the best players in the league, especially when played in their best positions.

If Jamieson signs should be a decent signing and then it is just a case of getting a second keeper.

As Brian said we will probably need a whole new defence. Andy Graham is the best defender I have seen at Alloa but agree his legs have gone, hopefully should get a coaching role at the club. As for the rest of the defence I would resign Taggart and Stanger, if he doesn't get a full time offer. If Motherwell release Devine he might be worth looking at, although he was out injured for quite a while. Whilst I agree Church has been better this season, over the years we have had much better left backs, so if he leaves not bothered. Same with Durnan, never been his biggest fan and whilst he did okay when he came in last season, would free up a wage.

Of the midfield like Andy, Jon Robertson has been a great player for us but last season slowed things down too much, would probably free along with Adam King. Coulson is definitely worth another season and will hopefully kick on next season. If Scougall and Cammy are resigned already then that is a decent start.

Up front I would only resign one or two out of the three as think we need to free up wages for a different type of striker. Probably be Connor given his goals total this season, and LD for me, although his fitness is a bit of a worry. MacIver of the three would be the one I would free.

Apart from Cammy and Coulson of the youngsters not seen anything from any of them to think they are going to push for more game time next season.

Edited by Magic Hat

2 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

One or two out of the three as think we need to free up wages for a different type of striker. Probably be Connor given his goals total this season, and LD for me, although his fitness is a bit of a worry. MacIver of the three would be the one I would free.

I'd keep all three. Sammon will be good for experience for the younger squad members. I'd also keep Rodden, he offers something different for us and started the season well. I reckon a Rodden - MacIver partnership upfront with LD just behind them would be quite productive.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

I'd keep all three. Sammon will be good for experience for the younger squad members. I'd also keep Rodden, he offers something different for us and started the season well. I reckon a Rodden - MacIver partnership upfront with LD just behind them would be quite productive.

So would I. McIver is the one I'd be most disappointed to see go. Still think we played our best football when he was leading the line with the likes of Coulson and LD linking up with him.

I think we need a similar type to Rodden, to complement these three, but an upgrade, if we can get that, not easy and may, again, be best through the loans route.

On loans, I thought Brian Rice did really well last year as it can be hit or miss. Miller and Hogarth both did really well, featuring in so many games and becoming key members of the side. Devine, when he was fit, also looked a really good player. Offord was the one disappointment, but not because of his lack of quality.

It's always an interesting time of the year and I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by printer

I actually forgot about Rodden.

Probably make that two from four then. MacIver's link up play is decent although not as good as LD. Also thought he was much more effective when he was on loan and had Henderson up front with him. He has great energy but doesn't score enough goals for me.

IMO if we have the same four strikers next season we will struggle to get into the top four. Sure there will be potential upgrades out there.

17 minutes ago, Rory said:

Seen on twitter Jamieson has signed for Stenhousemuir. Seems weird to drop down a division if we were interested.

If Clyde go down, wonder if we'd try to resign Parry?

Agree that is a disappointment and a bit of a surprise. I thought Hogarth did okay on loan last season, considering he is only 19.

My preference would be next season to probably have a more experienced number one.

Loved Neil Parry but not sure if he is the keeper he was.