The Alloa Athletic Thread

Anyone know if Wales is going with the U19 squad? If he goes, I'd like to see Roy get a go up front over Sammon. With the way our attackers were linking up on Saturday, think Roy would fit into the role better.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Anyone know if Wales is going with the U19 squad? If he goes, I'd like to see Roy get a go up front over Sammon. With the way our attackers were linking up on Saturday, think Roy would fit into the role better.

Yeah he will probably be going. Named in the squad and as it's big EURO qualifiers think he will go. Agree with the point of Ally Roy taking his place as we know what he can bring but won't be surprised if Conor Sammon is the favoured option.

5 hours ago, LoganAAFC said:

Yeah he will probably be going. Named in the squad and as it's big EURO qualifiers think he will go. Agree with the point of Ally Roy taking his place as we know what he can bring but won't be surprised if Conor Sammon is the favoured option.

Two games in a week so I think both will get game time. Sammon will likely get the nod to start and I think he deserves it.

Good to see the club starting to get things in place for next year. He's done an excellent job with a squad he inherited, I'd imagine he'd be quite happy to keep the majority of the current squad if possible.

Has he officially retired as a player or is it another player/manager contract?

2 hours ago, Rory said:

Good to see the club starting to get things in place for next year. He's done an excellent job with a squad he inherited, I'd imagine he'd be quite happy to keep the majority of the current squad if possible.

Has he officially retired as a player or is it another player/manager contract?

I'd imagine so. As @Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) posted earlier replacing our excellent loanees will be his real tester. 

Think the greatest praise I can give Andy is that at times under our previous few managers the games had felt like a chore, whereas now it’s Sunday morning and I’m already looking forward to the next game. Even if we aren’t winning we are playing much better football and the players are clearly enjoying themselves as well. Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

How is big Kurtis Roberts getting on with u guys? I thought he was one of our standout players last year, would take him back if possible.

Just like he was for you, a standout and probably our best player this season. The boy just doesn't stop, whether it's running to track back or to put in a last ditch tackle, he's scared of nothing. And is also finidng the back of the net in the last few weeks which we expected from him but didnt know when! But Hope we can hold on to him but can see Championship sides coming in for him. 

Edited by LoganAAFC

6 minutes ago, LoganAAFC said:

Just like he was for you, a standout and probably our best player this season. The boy just doesn't stop, whether it's running to track back or to put in a last ditch tackle, he's scared of nothing. And is also finidng the back of the net in the last few weeks which we expected from him but didnt know when! But Hope we can hold on to him but can see Championship sides coming in for him. 

Keep going the way we are and we could be one of those Championship sides!

I think we'll offer him an extension but I think he might hold off signing to see if he gets any full time offers. At 29 though it might not be worth him leaving his current job to play full time but time will tell.

He's been my signing of the season, I thought it was an OK signing and he'd be decent as a squad player but he's cemented his place in our starting XI.

Absolutely brilliant news about Andy Graham. As Brian said he would have got time from even the most critical of fans. I wasn't 100 percent sure about the appointment as loved him so much as a player, but his record has been very impressive. Unfortunately sure his record won't have gone unnoticed to other clubs as well.

As for Kurtis, I am slightly less positive than some of our fans, realise I might be in the minority. Thought he was really poor under Rice, always had the energy and the enthusiasm but his passing was absolutely awful and he kept giving the ball away  In the last few games under Rice and since Andy Graham has come in he has been much, much better and looks more composed on the ball and has added a couple of goals to his game.

Edited by Magic Hat

Thought when Sammon came on he really changed the game on Saturday. Came on with just under 25 minutes left and the play just seemed so smooth and easy and that contributed to the three goals in the last 20 minutes. Reckon he will get the nod on Tuesday over Ally Roy but we know what impact Ally Roy can have coming off the bench

6 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

As for Kurtis, I am slightly less positive than some of our fans, realise I might be in the minority. Thought he was really poor under Rice, always had the energy and the enthusiasm but his passing was absolutely awful and he kept giving the ball away  In the last few games under Rice and since Andy Graham has come in he has been much, much better and looks more composed on the ball and has added a couple of goals to his game.

I agree with you. Always liked Kurtis' energy and effort but felt at the start of the season he was poor on the ball. Remember saying to my Dad if only he could pass, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet every week. Probably has been since Andy came in that his passing and ball retention improved greatly. Possibly the different formation and style of play allows him to express himself more, who knows.

2 hours ago, Rory said:

I agree with you. Always liked Kurtis' energy and effort but felt at the start of the season he was poor on the ball. Remember saying to my Dad if only he could pass, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet every week. Probably has been since Andy came in that his passing and ball retention improved greatly. Possibly the different formation and style of play allows him to express himself more, who knows.

Along with Kurtis Roberts, feel Andy has made a big difference on a lot of the players and has improved confidence on the players, and personally I feel Taylor Steven is one of them. 

On 17/03/2024 at 12:04, AlloaAdam said:

Think the greatest praise I can give Andy is that at times under our previous few managers the games had felt like a chore, whereas now it’s Sunday morning and I’m already looking forward to the next game. Even if we aren’t winning we are playing much better football and the players are clearly enjoying themselves as well. Long may it continue.

Agree 100%.While the results under Brian Rice were generally ok (decent for first season and a half, rubbish this season), the football was grim and we never really looked like a coherent team. Very frustrating given he inherited a capable squad and added good players to it. I found his reign a massive slog. 

Andy very quickly did the things lots of fans had often called for. Players in their most effective roles in a settled system and allowing partnerships to develop. No surprise players grow in confidence in that situation. The system he settled on was the best one as well. 4 at the back suits the defenders better than 3, and the 3 behind a striker or something similar suits our squad with so many good creative players. Having nailed this down so well I'm sure he could tweak things when required and still get good results. That's the way to run a team, not chopping and changing all the time and playing people out of position. 

But I'd be doing a big disservice to Andy to just say the turnaround is down to him sorting out the obvious issues with the way the team was set up. The leadership and communication he always showed as a player are clearly to the fore. People want to play for him and he has everyone pulling in the same direction. When things go wrong he speaks openly and honestly and sets out a way forward. Fans will accept defeats and bad days if they can see what a manager is trying to do and if it's clear things in general are going in the right direction. I don't expect Alloa to win every week but I do want to see a team set up properly and trying to make the best of what we have. Andy has been nailing that so far. Whatever happens the rest of the season - and obviously there are going be bad days and setbacks - there are real grounds for optimism. 

9 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Absolutely brilliant news about Andy Graham. As Brian said he would have got time from even the most critical of fans. I wasn't 100 percent sure about the appointment as loved him so much as a player, but his record has been very impressive. Unfortunately sure his record won't have gone unnoticed to other clubs as well.

I also wasn't quite as effusive as some fans about Roberts earlier in the season. Work rate and drive clearly really impressive but undermined a bit by decision making. Has continued to improve though and absolutely nailed down his place now. Perhaps down to growing in confidence and perhaps again knowing exactly what his role is in the team and how it fits with those around him. Wouldn't begrudge him a ft move if he could get it but hopefully he'll stick around. Really good story to see a player kicking on in his late 20s and given what he puts in he deserves it. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Agree 100%.While the results under Brian Rice were generally ok (decent for first season and a half, rubbish this season), the football was grim and we never really looked like a coherent team. Very frustrating given he inherited a capable squad and added good players to it. I found his reign a massive slog. 

Andy very quickly did the things lots of fans had often called for. Players in their most effective roles in a settled system and allowing partnerships to develop. No surprise players grow in confidence in that situation. The system he settled on was the best one as well. 4 at the back suits the defenders better than 3, and the 3 behind a striker or something similar suits our squad with so many good creative players. Having nailed this down so well I'm sure he could tweak things when required and still get good results. That's the way to run a team, not chopping and changing all the time and playing people out of position. 

But I'd be doing a big disservice to Andy to just say the turnaround is down to him sorting out the obvious issues with the way the team was set up. The leadership and communication he always showed as a player are clearly to the fore. People want to play for him and he has everyone pulling in the same direction. When things go wrong he speaks openly and honestly and sets out a way forward. Fans will accept defeats and bad days if they can see what a manager is trying to do and if it's clear things in general are going in the right direction. I don't expect Alloa to win every week but I do want to see a team set up properly and trying to make the best of what we have. Andy has been nailing that so far. Whatever happens the rest of the season - and obviously there are going be bad days and setbacks - there are real grounds for optimism. 

I also wasn't quite as effusive as some fans about Roberts earlier in the season. Work rate and drive clearly really impressive but undermined a bit by decision making. Has continued to improve though and absolutely nailed down his place now. Perhaps down to growing in confidence and perhaps again knowing exactly what his role is in the team and how it fits with those around him. Wouldn't begrudge him a ft move if he could get it but hopefully he'll stick around. Really good story to see a player kicking on in his late 20s and given what he puts in he deserves it. 

I was one of those who was impressed by what Kurtis brought to the side from early on. He gave us something we hadn't had in midfield for a while, energy and drive, with the ability to surge forward with the ball (not as often or effectively as we are seeing now admittedly). He wasn't perfect of course, but no one was in that side.

I agree he's improved under Andy G though (many have) and, as you say, confidence and knowing exactly what his role is are likely factors in this improvement.