The Alloa Athletic Thread

25 minutes ago, Rory said:

Kurtis in the team of the week. Two weeks in a row we've had a player in the XI.

Nice to see Jay in there too

Certainly deserved for Kurtis. 

Yeah, pleased to see Jay get in as well. He was working out at my gym this morning, along with his brother. Have seen him there several times.

11 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I see he’s still scoring but can I get an overall Bobby Wales update from someone? 

His finish yesterday was lovely. Back heel finish, well worth a watch. Bobby has been excellent, even when not scoring. Works the line well, intelligent positioning and touches, as well as now adding goals to his game. Sometimes his best performances are when he doesn't score! He is a bag of tricks and a joy to watch. At timed we have seen a frustated figure against some of the better teams in the league but all part of why he is here on loan.

Wales and Steven just look like young players really enjoying their football and playing with a lot of confidence. 

Thought Miko was a big miss on Saturday. Had been great in controlling the midfield over the last few weeks but due to him not being involved we missed that, and that is no disrespect to Scougall at all. 

I'm after goal of the season contenders. My short longlist for this season below.

Kurtis Roberts vs Hamilton
Taylor Steven vs Cove
Taylor Steven vs Stirling
Ally Roy vs Queen of the South
Ally Roy vs Montrose
Cammy O'Donnell vs Kelty

Any others that I've forgotten?

5 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I did like Sammons against Motherwell but I think youve covered the main ones. 2 horse race between O'Donnell and Roberts for me to date.

So many recently hard to remember!

I've just had a look at our most recent filings at Companies House, covering the 2022-23 season. £240,000 of debt to the Mulraney Group was converted to shares and a further £160,000 was raised through a share issue, and it looks like that was needed just to keep the club's financial position on an even keel. The way that we set out our accounts means that details are hard to come by, and my understanding of accounts is sketchy to say the least, but on face value it doesn't make for great reading. 

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I did like Sammons against Motherwell but I think youve covered the main ones. 2 horse race between O'Donnell and Roberts for me to date.

I'd include Taylor's against the Binos with those two. Agree about Sammo"s goal - think that should be included in any voting list.

47 minutes ago, Dink said:

I've just had a look at our most recent filings at Companies House, covering the 2022-23 season. £240,000 of debt to the Mulraney Group was converted to shares and a further £160,000 was raised through a share issue, and it looks like that was needed just to keep the club's financial position on an even keel. The way that we set out our accounts means that details are hard to come by, and my understanding of accounts is sketchy to say the least, but on face value it doesn't make for great reading. 

Im guessing because Im far from a finance expert- but that this would relate to the onboarding of the new chairman and transition from previous chairman, with Mike converting his debt into shares and Andrew Allan investing to a respectable level. 

I might be completely wrong though 🙂

40 minutes ago, Dink said:

A friend sent me the balance sheet only, no notes and don't think there will be a p&l account.

I must say I was surprised at the size of the loss (£190k). I suspect there have been some provisions in there. Certainly not a good year on the surface with £45k net current assets going to £153k net current liabilities.

I'll try and look at the full accounts on Companies House.

6 minutes ago, printer said:

A friend sent me the balance sheet only, no notes and don't think there will be a p&l account.

I must say I was surprised at the size of the loss (£190k). I suspect there have been some provisions in there. Certainly not a good year on the surface with £45k net current assets going to £153k net current liabilities.

I'll try and look at the full accounts on Companies House.

It's way more your forte, I looked at that same balance sheet and my initial thought was an asset transfer from the clubs books to Mike's company, although at 190k must have been something substantial.

Again I might be completely barking up the wrong tree, speculation and mighty leaps of faith drew me to that conclusion.

If Mulraney properties have an extra 190k in their assets then it would make sense to me.

52 minutes ago, Dink said:

Don't quote me on any accounting related topics either. Beyond this number is bigger than that number that's as sophisticated as I'll look at it.

Think increased cost is just a symptom of the times. The last few years have been massively inflated in terms of costs for everything and while that's happened we've also ran a big playing squad for a good few years now. As someone who really notices the lack of real estate in the programme - that's been way too big!

Bottom line is this though

image.png.1000d0a0e3e630d129665814adf00ee0.png

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't quote me on any accounting related topics either. Beyond this number is bigger than that number that's as sophisticated as I'll look at it.

Think increased cost is just a symptom of the times. The last few years have been massively inflated in terms of costs for everything and while that's happened we've also ran a big playing squad for a good few years now. As someone who really notices the lack of real estate in the programme - that's been way too big!

Yeah, as you say the big thing is that there is still a commitment to support the club from the Mulraney Group. I was just a little surprised at the change in net assets/liabilities when in previous accounts the closing position tends to be reasonably similar to the opening one.

As Father Barry suggests it could be a result of the new chairman coming on board and some of the relationships between the club and the holding company changing as a result.

18 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

It's way more your forte, I looked at that same balance sheet and my initial thought was an asset transfer from the clubs books to Mike's company, although at 190k must have been something substantial.

Again I might be completely barking up the wrong tree, speculation and mighty leaps of faith drew me to that conclusion.

If Mulraney properties have an extra 190k in their assets then it would make sense to me.

A reasonable assumption, but such an asset transfer wouldn't have a large impact on the p&l account, unless there was a big loss based on transfer value vs book value. Note 5 to the accounts (detail of fixed assets) shows there were no asset transfers at all. So there's another reason for the loss.

I think @LeodhasXD 's comment about increased costs is likely to be at least part of the reason. Interestingly note 4 gives the average number of employees (including directors) as 29, a reduction from 33 in 2021/22.

The share issue @Dink mentions seems to have all been to Mulraney (Holdings) Limited. Nothing I can see suggesting Andrew Allan is a significant investor - maybe that changed in the current year, but I expect Mike will keep 100% control.

Amounts owed to group companies stood at £360k at year end (May 2023 - nil in 2022). We know £240k of that was converted into shares later on, but that still leaves £120k. Wonder if that will be repaid soon?

28 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Both good points. Second one is key of course.

I imagine Alloa Athletic's financial position is similar to a lot of smaller clubs in Scotland and better than quite a number too. 

1 minute ago, printer said:

A reasonable assumption, but such an asset transfer wouldn't have a large impact on the p&l account, unless there was a big loss based on transfer value vs book value. Note 5 to the accounts (detail of fixed assets) shows there were no asset transfers at all. So there's another reason for the loss.

I think @LeodhasXD 's comment about increased costs is likely to be at least part of the reason. Interestingly note 4 gives the average number of employees (including directors) as 29, a reduction from 33 in 2021/22.

The share issue @Dink mentions seems to have all been to Mulraney (Holdings) Limited. Nothing I can see suggesting Andrew Allan is a significant investor - maybe that changed in the current year, but I expect Mike will keep 100% control.

Amounts owed to group companies stood at £360k at year end (May 2023 - nil in 2022). We know £240k of that was converted into shares later on, but that still leaves £120k. Wonder if that will be repaid soon?

...............£120k plus any losses in the current year.

Unless I'm missing something the loss of £190k in 2023 is actually an improvement on the loss of £240k for 2022. Although there was a large profit in 2021 which presumably at least mainly as a result of the extensive Covid grants in that year.

Looks like these extra shares were issued in July 2023 and that Andrew Allan took on shares at that point also. Mulraney Holdings now own 57.38% whilst Andrew Allan owns 38.25%