The Alloa Athletic Thread

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

How was Sutherland today?

Played as left back of a 4, gave ball away with poor touch that led to the opener. First 10 minutes were shakey to say the least. 

If I remember right he plays a decent ball in for our first though.  

Not much else apart from that. No chance I would right a guy off after literally arriving a day or two ago but wouldn’t exactly class it as a debut to remember. 

Edited by Kevchenko

3 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Played as left back of a 4, gave ball away with poor touch that led to the opener. First 10 minutes were shakey to say the least. 

If I remember right he plays a decent ball in for our first though.  

Not much else apart from that. No chance I would right a guy off after literally arriving a day or two ago but wouldn’t exactly class it as a debut to remember. 

Thought he looked promising going forward in the first half in particular, albeit perhaps a bit questionable defensively at times. For a youngster who had just joined the club though (and probably a wee bit out of position too) I thought he did fine. Would like to see him on the left of the three behind the striker, showed flashes of direct running that suggested he could do real damage in a more advanced position. 

Listened to the podcast this morning and have to take up Kieren's invitation to debate Kev's proposed team selection! I couldn't believe the suggestion PJ might be dropped. He's clearly our number 1 and for me only doesn't play if he is injured or has a catastrophic loss of form. That isn't the case, he was excellent at Fir Park and while he certainly should have stopped Falkirk's first, he wasn't the reason we got hammered last week. As for dealing with corners being the reason, that's probably been the biggest weakness in Ogayi's game and a major issue in the last two games he played in particular. All about opinions etc but sorry @Kevchenko, this one reminded of a suggestion on here that Rodden should be playing rather than Wales 😁.

Edited by Waspie

^^ Will caveat Ogayi was relishing being in the first team so much he didn't want to tell anyone his hand was painful. He was literally punching balls out from corners with a broken finger so I've cut him a lot of slack for that.

Sincerely #1 Ogayi fan.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

^^ Will caveat Ogayi was relishing being in the first team so much he didn't want to tell anyone his hand was painful. He was literally punching balls out from corners with a broken finger so I've cut him a lot of slack for that.

Sincerely #1 Ogayi fan.

Interesting. You can admire his desire to play and prove himself but also worrying that a player would conceal an injury that could seriously impact the team, particularly in the case of a goalkeeper with an injury to his hand. To be honest he's looked suspect on corners and balls into the box whenever I've seen him (unless his finger has been broken since the summer). 

Leaving Ogayi to one side, I don't think you ever gain from swapping keepers frequently anyway unless the established first choice is having a really grim run of form. That isn't the case or anywhere near it. 

@Waspie valid points and didn’t expect the Ogayi shout to be overly popular! 

What little PJ had to do yesterday he did well, the save from the free kick in the 2nd half was a particular highlight and he had no chance with the opener. 

Agree with your point about chopping and changing keepers though, it’s never a good sign! Case in point when we went through about 6 of them a few seasons ago. 

Saw Sutherland play 20 minutes at Montrose and felt he was more of a left winger . Very skilful but lightweight . He came to St Mirren from Rangers youth set up and showed up very well pre season . I think St Mirren would like to see how he  does as a left wing back . Probably at a stage in his career where he's trying to find his right position . Think he might be a pleasure to watch on Alloas AstroTurf as he,s a very tricky player .

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Saw Sutherland play 20 minutes at Montrose and felt he was more of a left winger . Very skilful but lightweight . He came to St Mirren from Rangers youth set up and showed up very well pre season . I think St Mirren would like to see how he  does as a left wing back . Probably at a stage in his career where he's trying to find his right position . Think he might be a pleasure to watch on Alloas AstroTurf as he,s a very tricky player .

Alloa play a 4 at the back and have such an old astro turf, so those might be hard! 😅

Good to start a big run of games with 3 points. Looked some real lovely stuff played. 

Edited by KierenAAFC

9 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Don’t know wether it’s a club or police decision but that exit door is a crush waiting to happen. 

The gate needs to be opened at full time. 

I said to Carol the safety officer basically the exact same. She said it's a police decision and not the clubs.

3 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

I said to Carol the safety officer basically the exact same. She said it's a police decision and not the clubs.

Cheers, thought it would probably be their decision. 

I hope in her role as safety officer she is advising them in the strongest possible fashion that it’s a fucking idiotic decision. 

Heard her say it's the police decision to stop the fans rushing out and that if we could behave it wouldn't be happening. 

It's ridiculous having all the fans rushing out one tiny gate.

We can only point the finger at the lunatic behaviours that have caused this situation. As usual decent fans are getting caught up and inconvenienced . Understand what the police tried to do but it's an accident waiting to happen and a bad call especially for disabled fans.  We have a problem and it's not just us.  Some of the behaviour  At football Recently has been shameful 

2 minutes ago, Trips said:

Probably didn't help that an Alloa fan scaled the wall at the away end and was jumping up and down on the containers.

We have had the Hawkhill version of Parkour here before , nothing new there,  In all my years i have never seen this level of 

security at the recs . A drain on the clubs finances and all because of some cowardly little scrotes who you can't even call men 

Sickening but it won't stop me going  . 

I'd hope the saving grace is that there's no more Stirling or Falkirk to be played at the Recs.
The grandstanding troublemakers who climbed over the wall won't have the same audience and it'll get back to being about football. Fairly certain those people weren't in the ground either. Just coming outside specifically to cause problems.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Short of refusing entry to anyone who resembles a wee fanny, not sure what more the club can really do. They've had the police go into schools to give talks and hired additional security for the ground. They do need to find a safer way to get people out the ground though.

If Falkirk win the league at least we won't have them coming to the Recs next season so one less group of kids to deal with.

On the game, heard the commentary say Stevens goal was a goal of the season contender. I'd have gone for Cammy's free kick against Kelty but think Stevens goal edges is given it was a match winner in the local derby.