The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Was it the usual kettling exit yesterday or have the club saw sense and opened the big gate?

Another great win yesterday going by the highlights.

Big gate was open as normal. Did notice our section of young supporters seemed a bit smaller than against Stirling and Falkirk.

How does the appeal process work for the red card? Guessing they'd review our match footage?

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Big gate was open as normal. Did notice our section of young supporters seemed a bit smaller than against Stirling and Falkirk.

How does the appeal process work for the red card? Guessing they'd review our match footage?

When Keatings got booked for diving after getting wiped out, Inverness appealed and the referee clearly didn't even watch the footage.  A complete lottery whether it is overturned. You pay for the privilege and you only get the fee returned if you win the appeal.

On that note, Scott Taggart apparently booked against Annan. Referees have a vivid imagination.

image.thumb.png.7ee098a7fd721953840703ed2d44b744.png

On 18/02/2024 at 11:39, Bigbrbairn said:

Well done Alloa. Hope your form continues for the rest of the season ie Beating others and getting gubbed by Falkirk.

If we can do 4 wins in a row after our regular drubbing by Fawkirk I will take it thanks .

1 hour ago, Higgenarse said:

21/4 for a win or 7/2 for a draw against Accies. Decent odds there and worth a punt. I've put a tenner on Alloa win

Confident going into Saturdays game. Definitely capable of 3 points, showed that in the last two meetings against Accies in which we could of won both ties.

We are doing well and Accies have struggled at times recently, but they are still favourites on Saturday.

Winning is a habit, however, and if Steven and Wales can maintain their overall form, and strike rate in particular, then anything could happen.

Hopefully Cammy is fit as his absence would leave us looking more fragile on the left. I'm assuming Robbo comes in if McKay is out - that doesn't weaken the side IMO.

Edited by printer

Good job with the pod as usual, soon be at episode 100, expecting something special when it comes 😉

Found Steven a bit frustrating to start with, he was a bit greedy without doing much with the ball. Remember hearing a fan telling him to f off back to St Johnstone at one point. Think it's been since the Motherwell game he's totally turned it around. Think Wales will go to the top and if Taylor keeps going the way he is, he could make it there too.

One thing I've really liked about Miko is his match awareness, you see him slotting in at right back if Taggs is pushing forward and he dropped back to cover Neill when he went for a jaunt up the pitch. Had a laugh at Andy shouting if you ran up, you can run back to Neill after it too.

The company my dad works for is based in Finland so he's been telling his colleagues about Miko. Apparently Alloa (in Finnish it's written ällöä but not sure how it's pronounced!) translates roughly to gross in Finnish.

3 hours ago, Rory said:

The company my dad works for is based in Finland so he's been telling his colleagues about Miko. Apparently Alloa (in Finnish it's written ällöä but not sure how it's pronounced!) translates roughly to gross in Finnish.

Gross is ällöttävä. Way too many syllables. Must be a Finnish sense of humour.

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bobby Wales scored a lovely goal as our reserves beat Livi 6-0 today.

Lovely chest down past the Livi RB for the 5th goal as well, Bobby was unlucky the keeper got a hand to his shot but parried it to Cameron for the tap in.

16 hours ago, Rory said:

Nice to see Steven making it into the team of the week.

I thought Taylor might have got player of the week, but easier to go for Anton Dowds and his hatrick. His Dad is an old friend of mine, so I was pleased for him too.

Also, well done to Ross McIver who apparently was excellent in Falkirk's big win v Hamilton (not sure anyone else will have noted that win 😉). Ross has really thrived at Falkirk - their system and the role he is expected to play suits him down to the ground. 

33 minutes ago, printer said:

I thought Taylor might have got player of the week, but easier to go for Anton Dowds and his hatrick. His Dad is an old friend of mine, so I was pleased for him too.

Also, well done to Ross McIver who apparently was excellent in Falkirk's big win v Hamilton (not sure anyone else will have noted that win 😉). Ross has really thrived at Falkirk - their system and the role he is expected to play suits him down to the ground. 

Aye Ross has been doing well. Maybe not quite as prolific goal-wise as he was earlier in the season but his all-round play is improving all the time. The last two home games he has started against Cove and Hamilton (was rested on Tuesday vs Montrose) he has absolutely bullied their central defenders, won everything in the air, run the channels, linked the play...pretty much everything you're looking from in a striker.

My only real criticism is he seems to miss another 2 good chances for every one he scores. He's getting into the right positions though which is the important thing, if he can improve his finishing he should go further than us in the game  

3 hours ago, printer said:

He's mentioned in the Open Goal interview with McGlynn. He said he always felt playing as a number 9 would suit Ross better than how we had him playing in a sort of number 10 role with Sammon up top.