The Alloa Athletic Thread

We seem to always go back to 4-2-3-1 formation.

Remember Peter Grant tried his diamond midfield then eventually gave up and reverted back to it. Brian Rice tried formations which I didn't think were invented yet...and here we are back to the old tried and tested- it always seems to get the best out of the players. 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

28 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

We seem to always go back to 4-2-3-1 formation.

Remember Peter Grant tried his diamond midfield then eventually gave up and reverted back to it. Brian Rice tried formations which I didn't think were invented yet...and here we are back to the old tried and tested- it always seems to get the best out of the players. 

😂

Brian Rice clearly a fan of OG Championship Manager, trying to break reality's engine by playing everyone out of position  :P

Good to see Bobby Wales on the scoresheet for the Scotland u19s, all be it a 3-2 defeat to the Georgian side. Obviously without him today, would like to see Ally Roy given the nod but won't be surprised if Sammon starts up top. 

See Luke Rankin has scored a decent amount of goals for the Shire on his loan spell, wonder if he'll get another chance with us next season. 

9 minutes ago, Rory said:

See Luke Rankin has scored a decent amount of goals for the Shire on his loan spell, wonder if he'll get another chance with us next season. 

Been great experience for him. Think the 'Shire will want him back next season like they done with Scott Honeyman last season from Falkirk, had him on loan last season and got him back this term. 

@Dink going to reply on here about LD so it doesn't bore the Queens fans to death on the match thread...

It's difficult because Donnelly is a pretty unique type of player, I wouldn't say he is your archetypical mould for any specific position but has parts of many different positions. He's good in the air but doesn't have the strength to hold up like a typical centre forward, he has great feet but doesn't have the burst of pace of a typical winger, he can work well in tight spaces and pick a pass but lacks the work rate/ball carrying of a typical central midfielder.....

Think that makes it easy to look like he maybe doesn't fit in to a particular system, yet he was absolutely vital to us in the second half of last season. For me I think he is best in behind a front man but I think he needs to have a licence to float around wherever he wants to - arriving late in the box to pop up like he did against Edinburgh for his goal or maybe he drifts wide to link up with a Taylor Steven etc or he drops deep to play a quick 1-2 with Kurtis Roberts. I think this is when LD is most effective but it comes with a massive caveat that to have a player doing that sort of role you need to kind of carry them as a bit of a passenger for periods of the game - when we are playing well across the team i think you can get away with that and LD becomes a really deadly weapon to have as he is so unique, but if we play like yesterday and Kelty (and by all accounts 1st half at Meadowbank), then its a bit of a luxury that we can't afford. Have to say I do think he could link up really well with Bobby Wales though and we haven't really seen much of them together yet.

Talking of Mr Goals, was sitting running through how we have fared with and without him this season and it's stark how different we are. Played 20 games with him winning 12 (60%), drawing 4 (20%) and losing 4 (40%). When he plays we score on average just under 2 goals per game (39 goals in 20 games) and concede 1.4 per game (28 in 20). Without him we have played 17 winning only 4 (24%) drawing 1 (6%) and losing 12 (71%) and on the theme of how different we are attacking wise we are at 1.1 goals for (18 in 17) and 2.4 against (41 in 17).

There are a couple of caveats around the fact that we have only had him since the end of September and the results without him include a cup game at Premiership Motherwell, but the fact that 3 of the wins without him are before he arrived means the only team we have beaten without Bobby Wales since he's been with us is Dunbar United. The 3 league games he has missed so far have resulted in a 3-0 defeat to Edinburgh, the 2-1 loss at Kelty on Tuesday and yesterday's 2-0 defeat to Queens. 

Tried to look on the SFA website to see if there were any other 19s fixtures after this Tuesday but its taking forever to open (things obviously going downhill there since you left @KierenAAFC) but it makes pretty grim reading if he misses any games through call up, injury or suspension. To put it in context, if you replicated our league results without him across the whole season we would be sitting 9 points adrift of Annan in 9th place.

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

@Dink going to reply on here about LD so it doesn't bore the Queens fans to death on the match thread...

It's difficult because Donnelly is a pretty unique type of player, I wouldn't say he is your archetypical mould for any specific position but has parts of many different positions. He's good in the air but doesn't have the strength to hold up like a typical centre forward, he has great feet but doesn't have the burst of pace of a typical winger, he can work well in tight spaces and pick a pass but lacks the work rate/ball carrying of a typical central midfielder.....

Think that makes it easy to look like he maybe doesn't fit in to a particular system, yet he was absolutely vital to us in the second half of last season. For me I think he is best in behind a front man but I think he needs to have a licence to float around wherever he wants to - arriving late in the box to pop up like he did against Edinburgh for his goal or maybe he drifts wide to link up with a Taylor Steven etc or he drops deep to play a quick 1-2 with Kurtis Roberts. I think this is when LD is most effective but it comes with a massive caveat that to have a player doing that sort of role you need to kind of carry them as a bit of a passenger for periods of the game - when we are playing well across the team i think you can get away with that and LD becomes a really deadly weapon to have as he is so unique, but if we play like yesterday and Kelty (and by all accounts 1st half at Meadowbank), then its a bit of a luxury that we can't afford. Have to say I do think he could link up really well with Bobby Wales though and we haven't really seen much of them together yet.

Talking of Mr Goals, was sitting running through how we have fared with and without him this season and it's stark how different we are. Played 20 games with him winning 12 (60%), drawing 4 (20%) and losing 4 (40%). When he plays we score on average just under 2 goals per game (39 goals in 20 games) and concede 1.4 per game (28 in 20). Without him we have played 17 winning only 4 (24%) drawing 1 (6%) and losing 12 (71%) and on the theme of how different we are attacking wise we are at 1.1 goals for (18 in 17) and 2.4 against (41 in 17).

There are a couple of caveats around the fact that we have only had him since the end of September and the results without him include a cup game at Premiership Motherwell, but the fact that 3 of the wins without him are before he arrived means the only team we have beaten without Bobby Wales since he's been with us is Dunbar United. The 3 league games he has missed so far have resulted in a 3-0 defeat to Edinburgh, the 2-1 loss at Kelty on Tuesday and yesterday's 2-0 defeat to Queens. 

Tried to look on the SFA website to see if there were any other 19s fixtures after this Tuesday but its taking forever to open (things obviously going downhill there since you left @KierenAAFC) but it makes pretty grim reading if he misses any games through call up, injury or suspension. To put it in context, if you replicated our league results without him across the whole season we would be sitting 9 points adrift of Annan in 9th place.

Well that's fair cheered me up. 😟

🙂

Edited by printer

Handy it's right outside my work (I think anyway, assuming it's in the same place I picked up my season ticket!) so I might pop in before I head up to the Recs on Saturday.

6 hours ago, Rory said:

Handy it's right outside my work (I think anyway, assuming it's in the same place I picked up my season ticket!) so I might pop in before I head up to the Recs on Saturday.

its the building across from the glassworks round the corner from lime tree house 

10 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

John deserves a great turnout for this, the amount of memorabilia and knowledge he has on the club is unsurpassed...

Hopefully lots of supporters make the effort to head down.

Have to echo this, John an absolute legend for what he has done for Alloa for so many years and his collection is amazing. Must see event in Alloa (as well as the Wasps).