The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
47 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I take your point that it's a longer road to qualify for the groups now.  Up until the past couple of seasons, McInnes' domestic record was consistently strong, aside from maybe not gaining as much silverware as he potentially could have.  My issue was with his lack of progress in Europe, given his repeated opportunities to learn how to navigate in the competition.  Aside from notable victories against Real Sociedad, Groningen & Rijeka & the draw against Burnley, it always seemed that McInnes & his sides lacked a level of guile & were regularly outfoxed by sides we could have had the chance to progress against.  Rightly or wrongly, that was the perception I was left with.   

It's a tricky one trying to judge McInnes on Europe. 

Yes, we never took 'the next step', but in general the teams we lost to were teams that we were expected to lose to. However, there was a run of eliminations to Maribor, Kairat and Limassol where in either the home or away leg we had periods of utter dominance and coulda/shoulda put the tie to bed, and the last tie against Rijeka aside, I don't think that we were ever 'outfoxed' by any side over both ties in McInnes's tenure.

I just had a wee look back at the European games over the last 7 years, and it's sad to see how often the home leg let us down. We would control games from start to finish, and then one lack of concentration would let the opposition back into it. It truly cursed us throughout McInnes's time. 

Again, it was that extra step that we were just unable to take. 

That said, there's no doubt that our run of the last 7 years were the best of any Scottish club outside the OF since Yinited back in the late 80's. We never got knocked out by some amateurs from the Faroes or wherever, or lost 7-0 at home, or generally embarrassed ourselves in any way. 

The European games were actually a microcosm of McInnes's time at Pittodrie.....consistent, very good in places, not so good in others, better than most other teams in Scotland, but ultimately just fell short.

46 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's a tricky one trying to judge McInnes on Europe. 

Yes, we never took 'the next step', but in general the teams we lost to were teams that we were expected to lose to. However, there was a run of eliminations to Maribor, Kairat and Limassol where in either the home or away leg we had periods of utter dominance and coulda/shoulda put the tie to bed, and the last tie against Rijeka aside, I don't think that we were ever 'outfoxed' by any side over both ties in McInnes's tenure.

I just had a wee look back at the European games over the last 7 years, and it's sad to see how often the home leg let us down. We would control games from start to finish, and then one lack of concentration would let the opposition back into it. It truly cursed us throughout McInnes's time. 

Again, it was that extra step that we were just unable to take. 

That said, there's no doubt that our run of the last 7 years were the best of any Scottish club outside the OF since Yinited back in the late 80's. We never got knocked out by some amateurs from the Faroes or wherever, or lost 7-0 at home, or generally embarrassed ourselves in any way. 

The European games were actually a microcosm of McInnes's time at Pittodrie.....consistent, very good in places, not so good in others, better than most other teams in Scotland, but ultimately just fell short.

Yes, I think it was the 1-1 home draws against Kairat & Maribor which stick in the memory as missed opportunities.  I don't want to draw comparisons with Gerrard qualifying for the group stages at the first time of asking with the Chelsea buns, because of budget disparity, which isn't fair.  I suppose that if we are fortunate enough to employ another manager/DoF & Head Coach that gets us consistently making the European places, but still struggle to qualify for groups season after season, then McInnes' record would be put into proper perspective. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Was Willie Miller not a DoF during the Calderwood years? I genuinely can't remember.

Again, it really depends on what the role involves. I'm not a fan of the head coach being given players and essentially just training them and picking the team, however if the DoF just takes admin etc away from a manager like contract issues then it's a more attractive prospect.

Whatever the structure our recruitment shouldn't really just fall on the manager, it's been poor in recent years so how we identify and recruit targets should surely be looked at, whatever the outcome.

Ideally for me the DoF and manager discuss what type of football we want to be playing and weigh that against what we have. All signings are then made to get us towards our target and agreed upon between whatever transfer structure we set up.

I'd be much happier with that in place than "Big Curtis done a job on us previously" with every single supporter and pundit wondering why the f**k we've signed him.

A Don's mate of mine saying a guy from Mcbookie on twitter saying its Goodwin. On BAWA forum romour mill a fan posted he has been told Goodwin is in Aberdeen today. He just signed a 3 year deal so would imagine it will take a few Bob to get him. Hope this is all crap. 

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

A Don's mate of mine saying a guy from Mcbookie on twitter saying its Goodwin. On BAWA forum romour mill a fan posted he has been told Goodwin is in Aberdeen today. He just signed a 3 year deal so would imagine it will take a few Bob to get him. Hope this is all crap. 

I don't think it will be - as we will likely become an even bigger farm club for Atlanta United and employ Stephen Glass to implement the 'Atlanta philosophy' and all that jazz.  In fact they may even rename us Aberdeen Silverbacks as a tribute to the fore-runner of the current MLS club.

Of all the usual suspecty kind of names being banded around - Goodwin is the one I'd take.  Always liked him as a player and manager - proper leader of men and has served his time well with incremental progress being demonstrated every season at Alloa and St Mirren.

Edited by tarapoa

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I don't think it will be - as we will likely become an even bigger farm club for Atlanta United and employ Stephen Glass to implement the 'Atlanta philosophy' and all that jazz.  In fact they may even rename us Aberdeen Silverbacks as a tribute to the fore-runner of the current MLS club.

Of all the usual suspecty kind of names being banded around - Goodwin is the one I'd take.  Always liked him as a player and manager - proper leader of men.

Don't like Goodwin. I think the man's a c**t.

The type of man you grow to love when he is your c**t though :)

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't like Goodwin. I think the man's a c**t.

The type of man you grow to love when he is your c**t though :)

I've warmed to him as a manager. 

As a player he was alongside the likes of ian black and lasley for me but not up there with scott "impunity" brown or ricksen, in terms of cunty opponents. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Surely absolutely no one loved Goodwin as a player other than St Mirren fans.

I always remember the 2-2 LCQF when they beat us on pens and went on to win the trophy.

The whole of Pittodrie singing "Goodwin get to f**k" as he was winding up everyone - for a player from a "diddy club" to get the old place reacting like that deserves a certain modicum of respect.

I don't think Goodwin, at say £500k, represents value over picking a freebie manager. He's not done enough yet to merit paying that fee when we are down £1M on McInnes/Doc.

Never happening. If a club or Scotland had taken McInnes off our hands leaving us without the payoff maybe it could be a different story.

Apologies if this has already been shared here, but I think it's a decent summation of things - and balances out some of the "be careful what you wish for!!11" mewling from the usual suspects in the media: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/why-aberdeen-fans-are-right-to-welcome-the-end-of-the-derek-mcinnes-era-3159799.

8 minutes ago, d31 said:

I don't think Goodwin, at say £500k, represents value over picking a freebie manager. He's not done enough yet to merit paying that fee when we are down £1M on McInnes/Doc.

Never happening. If a club or Scotland had taken McInnes off our hands leaving us without the payoff maybe it could be a different story.

I think you are correct.

If it was a couple of years down the line and he'd had us in the top six for all of those years, then I could see why you would go for him.

As much as I like Goodwin, he still has a huge amount to learn, as evidenced by some of the decisions that he's made this season.

52 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I think you are correct.

If it was a couple of years down the line and he'd had us in the top six for all of those years, then I could see why you would go for him.

As much as I like Goodwin, he still has a huge amount to learn, as evidenced by some of the decisions that he's made this season.

If Goodwin does that there's no chance it's Aberdeen he's going to unless he goes to some nothing championship club and fails first...

Guest Bob Mahelp

Goodwin is also a good looking fucker. A kind of taller, greyer, angrier McInnes. 

Given that Dons fans are obviously the best looking supporters in Scotland**, I think he would fit right in at the Pitt o'dreams. 

**If Cove Sheep is on here somewhere, apart from you, ya skinny fat khunt. 😅

Goodwin for Aberdeen smacks of trying to recreate the Alex Ferguson effect it had on Aberdeen.

For a club reputed to need cash spending money on buying out a contract does not make sense especially when the board did not give the previous manager money from transfers in previous window and only on loan players came in to try and resolve the teams problems.

Interesting time for the sheep.

2 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Goodwin for Aberdeen smacks of trying to recreate the Alex Ferguson effect it had on Aberdeen.

For a club reputed to need cash spending money on buying out a contract does not make sense especially when the board did not give the previous manager money from transfers in previous window and only on loan players came in to try and resolve the teams problems.

Interesting time for the sheep.

I don't know if true seemingly St Mirren out bid Aberdeen for Brophy  according to our recent clubs accounts which showed 1.5 million in the bank you can add the semi final to that and hopefully a top six finish.  Goodwin just signed a three year deal plus increased player budget for next season. Goodwin did knock back Hibs as a player to stay with Saints . I'm not daft if a big club comes calling such as Aberdeen I'm sure Goodwin would be interested if a player budget is there to bring in new blood.  Reading twitter it looks as though Glass is the front runner. 

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

I think McInnes wasn't backed in January, as he'd been backed in more or less every window prior with Cormack at the club, and a lot of the backing was to rectify for previous mistakes in the transfer market. 

Everyone speculated we never had the money to get rid of Derek and Tony, which turned out to be false. 

Whoever is coming in, will be backed, Cormack just no longer wanted to back Derek, is my opinion. 

Cormacks pleading of poverty, whilst true to an extent, has largely been exaggerated to try and put pressure on the FM/Scottish Government, to get football back up and running. 

He's a wealthy man himself and I think AFC will be just fine.  

That would be true if you have indeed paid them off however if they are effectively on "garden leave" and being paid monthly then Aberdeen's cost remain the same until a new management team/structure is put in place.

If McInnes and Docherty then take up a new position then Aberdeen stop paying them.

That would probably suit both as an amicable parting rather than "I resign or your punted"

Cormack may indeed be playing a game and may indeed be a wealthy man but the bottom line will be how much he is willing to invest on an ongoing basis.  

Time alone will tell.

A lot of people saying a £1 million pay off. Nobody knows the terms except those involved. There must be a chance they have come to some compromise deal over a pay off. Seems unlikely Cormack has just written a cheque for 7 figures anyway. 

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Goodwin is also a good looking fucker. A kind of taller, greyer, angrier McInnes. 

Given that Dons fans are obviously the best looking supporters in Scotland**, I think he would fit right in at the Pitt o'dreams. 

**If Cove Sheep is on here somewhere, apart from you, ya skinny fat khunt. 😅

f**k, that's a blast from the past.