The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

In the past decade we have had 'novelty trips' to Herzegovina, Lapland and a large city 150 miles from the Chinese border.

Why not add Greenock and Dumfries to that exotic list?

Aberdeen's 'never been relegated' status is something to be proud of.  Yes, we qualified for the play-offs a couple of times and survived them..........but in such a small league to have avoided that for over a millennium worth of football is good going and needs to be maintained.

I think Hearts have had five relegations in my lifetime, and I'm not that old (quite yet).

If it eventually does happen, we can then evaluate if it's a good thing.  Hearts do seem to have been reinvigorated by their financial travails, fan ownership and sorting out the stadium - with Euro group stage football next season a shoey-in now, unless Hibs win the cup.

Other clubs that get relegated seem to end up with decent crowds, because beating Partick and Ayr Utd and winning a trophy for being the 13th ranked side in the country is apparently to be savoured.  

We had a mini burst of energy with the JG appointment and some good home and away crowds in recent weeks - but typical AFC they managed to pop that balloon at the weekend, and I haven't even bothered reading when and where our last fixtures are.

This feels like one of the bleakest times to be a dandy, but I suppose we need to keep faith with a managerial appointment most of us were relatively happy with and hope he does what he needs to do. If a Turnbull-style clearout can work in 2022, then why not..........but it's a tough gig to get that right on a potentially reduced playing budget.

I don’t think it’s that bleak. It’s just been an absolutely dreadful season. 

I think the foundations are there, we just need to start getting more of the basics right. We won’t be the finished article next season but we can be significantly better than we are now and that can propel us back into Europe relatively easily. And then you keep building. 

We just need to get past this absolutely rancid excuse for a season without it getting any worse. 

37 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Yes, we qualified for the play-offs a couple of times and survived them..........

It's a brave man who sounds the Brockville Klaxon on P&B!  I salute you.

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely felt that most of our better performances under Glass came with JET playing a prominent role, but appreciate that he doesn’t fit into what Goodwin wants to do. 

Maybe. Then he came back from the winter break looking like a blimp.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Apparently Ramirez's family are going home. Nae doubt he won't be far behind then.

I can’t remember a season where so many players that were signed in the summer are gone by the following year. 

Bates, Gallagher and Watkins the only potential survivors? And we must have signed a fair few.

I don’t think it’s that bleak. It’s just been an absolutely dreadful season. 
I think the foundations are there, we just need to start getting more of the basics right. We won’t be the finished article next season but we can be significantly better than we are now and that can propel us back into Europe relatively easily. And then you keep building. 
We just need to get past this absolutely rancid excuse for a season without it getting any worse. 

Agreed. Hearts probably the lowest points total of 3rd in recent history. Have to say they have an excellent defence however

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely felt that most of our better performances under Glass came with JET playing a prominent role, but appreciate that he doesn’t fit into what Goodwin wants to do. 

He had three good games.

Häcken (h) 5-1, Hearts (a) 1-1 and Smurn (h) 4-1

Therefore it is fair to say, that when Emmanuel-Thomas was on it, we could be extremely good as these were probably three of the half dozen or so matches this season where the team did perform well.

Maybe slightly surprised that since Goodwin got a first hand look at what he was capable of in one of those matches that he didn't persist with him as some kind of project - but then the guy is now 31 and unlikely to change his bad habits. 

Edited by tarapoa

In the past decade we have had 'novelty trips' to Herzegovina, Lapland and a large city 150 miles from the Chinese border.
Aberdeen's 'never been relegated' status is something to be proud of.  Yes, we qualified for the play-offs a couple of times and survived them..........but in such a small league to have avoided that for over a millennium worth of football is good going and needs to be maintained.
I think Hearts have had five relegations in my lifetime, and I'm not that old (quite yet).
If it eventually does happen, we can then evaluate if it's a good thing.  Hearts do seem to have been reinvigorated by their financial travails, fan ownership and sorting out the stadium - with Euro group stage football next season a shoey-in now, unless Hibs win the cup.
Other clubs that get relegated seem to end up with decent crowds, because beating Partick and Ayr Utd and winning a trophy for being the 13th ranked side in the country is apparently to be savoured.  
We had a mini burst of energy with the JG appointment and some good home and away crowds in recent weeks - but typical AFC they managed to pop that balloon at the weekend, and I haven't even bothered reading when and where our last fixtures are.
This feels like one of the bleakest times to be a dandy, but I suppose we need to keep faith with a managerial appointment most of us were relatively happy with and hope he does what he needs to do. If a Turnbull-style clearout can work in 2022, then why not..........but it's a tough gig to get that right on a potentially reduced playing budget.

Just look what happened to Dunfermline. OK a long time ago but Aberdeen better get themselves sorted, it could happen again.Get rid of the journeymen and spend a bit of cash.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

He had three good games.

Häcken (h) 5-1, Hearts (a) 1-1 and Smurn (h) 4-1

Therefore it is fair to say, that when Emmanuel-Thomas was on it, we could be extremely good as these were probably three of the half dozen or so matches this season where the team did perform well.

Maybe slightly surprised that since Goodwin got a first hand look at what he was capable of in one of those matches that he didn't persist with him as some kind of project - but then the guy is now 31 and unlikely to change his bad habits. 

He had a great game midweek at home to Livi too.

41 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Just look what happened to Dunfermline. OK a long time ago but Aberdeen better get themselves sorted, it could happen again.Get rid of the journeymen and spend a bit of cash.

What’s the relevance of Dunfermline? 

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

?

Interesting on STV news tonight, Chris Harvey saying Goodwin is after Jamie McGrath. 
I suppose it’s to be expected but it sounded like it was something Goodwin had confirmed off the record at a press conference, which DOES surprise me.