The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I wish I was as confident.  With the cushion we have we should be safe, but Goodwin has adopted the very high risk strategy of making it clear to a number of the players we'll be depending on to keep us safe that he doesn't rate them.  This will kill confidence and motivation.  On top of that we have players who don't expect to be here next season anyway so won't be fearing the Championship no matter what happens.
A complete crash and burn where we go through the final 5 games scarcely picking up any points looks to me by no means impossible.  We could also be dependent on the same players in the play offs.
I'm not saying we'll get relegated - without going through the permutations I imagine we don't need too many more points to be safe - but I do think there's a genuine risk.  Ironically I'd be 100% sure we'd have stayed up if we hadn't sacked Glass - it's Goodwin's bull in a china shop act that's put us in danger.

Is there any evidence that he’s told any of the players who have been actually playing in our recent games that they’re not wanted at Aberdeen?

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Is there any evidence that he’s told any of the players who have been actually playing in our recent games that they’re not wanted at Aberdeen?

Going by comments about player performances, the answer is "yes".

Unless these are the ones he thinks can get us out of trouble, in which case, we are in trouble...

43 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Ojo played against Ross County. McGeouch played against Hibs.  Considine was in the pool against Ross County.

But that's restricting things to players where management has made its intentions to part with players public, itself unusual at this stage of the campaign.  There is credible evidence that other players will be parted with. Lewis knows we're looking at goalkeepers.  There are strong rumours that McLennan has been told he can find another club.  It's an open secret that Ramirez is disaffected with the new regime and isn't expected to be here next season.

All that is on top of the manager reducing the first team pool by dumping JET and Scott Brown, who would both almost certainly have featured under Glass.

It's not just players who are being let go that are affected.  It's hardly likely to boost squad morale to see team mates being given the heave-ho.

I think Goodwin is playing a very risky game.

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

As far as I’m aware (apart from Considine) there hasn’t been any statements from Goodwin or any of the AFC management that , for instance , Ojo , McGeouch, McLennan And Lewis are no longer wanted.  Just media speculation, albeit possibly well-informed.

On 16/04/2022 at 17:18, Game of throw-ins said:

I still think he'll probably get Killie over the line.  If he does - and assuming we're not relegated - it'll be interesting to see how Killie do next season compared to us.  He's starting with a weak squad and much less resources than Goodwin, but I don't have a huge amount of confidence we'll finish above them.

Killie are rank rotten which doesn't say much for the rest. Dundee, SJ and SM would put them to the sword. Aberdeen would batter them. If they go up DM will need to sign a few decent players to have any chance of staying up. [And no doubt he will]

52 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Killie are rank rotten which doesn't say much for the rest. Dundee, SJ and SM would put them to the sword. Aberdeen would batter them. If they go up DM will need to sign a few decent players to have any chance of staying up. [And no doubt he will]

The post just above yours is a possible shopping list. 

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

He told our of of contract players he wasn't offering them a new deal really early on, maybe even January, so the players had enough time to get themselves sorted for the next season.

I can see both sides of it. Helps the player out in that sense but you do risk them taking the huff. You'd hope the majority would be professional enough to keep at it.

Robinson has done the same and it looks like our players have downed tools. Which is unacceptable tbh. Fair enough bad man management but they are still getting paid well enough to do a job.

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

On the other hand which of these players told to leave (including for arguments sake the rumoured ones) have been busting a gut and playing well the last few months whilst apparently "safe"

Well if you look at our average points per game under Glass and assume that had continued we'd have been comfortably safe.  That's not an apology for Glass, who I think was out of his depth, and can't complain about his sacking; nor is it a defence of the under-threat players who have certainly been underperforming. 

But although performances under Glass were far from satisfactory it's our performances under Goodwin that have put us in the relegation frame. 6 points from a possible 21.

To reiterate, I don't expect us to be relegated - 6 points more than 2nd bottom with a significantly better goal difference should be enough.  But I do think there's a risk of it that wasn't there before Goodwin took charge and started alienating players.

I have no problem with a big clear out by Goodwin, I just think he should have played his cards closer to his chest until we were safe.

If we get to the end of the season and stay up, Goodwin is out of jail and starts with a clean slate.  But if we do go into freefall and get relegated from here on in - and I don't think the risk is negligible - it will be Goodwin's recklessness that got us there.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

As far as I’m aware (apart from Considine) there hasn’t been any statements from Goodwin or any of the AFC management that , for instance , Ojo , McGeouch, McLennan And Lewis are no longer wanted.  Just media speculation, albeit possibly well-informed.

Exactly. Brown and JET were released and Considine hasn’t featured. No one else is confirmed to be leaving (publicly) so it’s pure speculation to say that any players aren’t trying because Goodwin has told them they’ll be away at the end of the season.

You can hardly say that performance levels have dropped significantly as a result of Goodwin apparently telling these players they can go. The majority of our players have been playing poorly long before he took over.

16 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Goodwin has a duty to let the players know they won't be here next season.

Nothing to see here.

Yeah I don’t get the criticism. Anyone out of contract will be wanting to know if the new manager wants to keep them. It’s basic human nature. 

It would be worse if he said nothing or a vague ‘we’ll mebbe offer you a deal in may’. Anyone he wants to keep will have been offered a new deal immediately so it’s pretty obvious if you’re not offered one. 

While the massive rebuild is the most important aspect this summer, I also hope any transfer speculation around Ferguson and Ramsay can be settled quickly 

Really don’t want that rolling into the final weeks of the window again but I fear I’m going to be disappointed on that one 

Will be handy to have them for the league cup groups I suppose…

15 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Exactly. Brown and JET were released and Considine hasn’t featured. No one else is confirmed to be leaving (publicly) so it’s pure speculation to say that any players aren’t trying because Goodwin has told them they’ll be away at the end of the season.

You can hardly say that performance levels have dropped significantly as a result of Goodwin apparently telling these players they can go. The majority of our players have been playing poorly long before he took over.

Unlike a fair amount of our fanbase , I don’t think lack of effort has been a significant factor in our decline.... general drop in the level of ability and quality is the main reason.  

And although he couldn’t be relied on to perform at a high level consistently , Hedges has been a miss for us, and hasn’t been replaced.  Goodwin hasn’t been able to call on a player with similar ability to run at the opposition.  

Hedges has been a big miss as has the lack of a fit watkins. 

Glass’ best spell this season was when we were able to get hedges and Watkins playing closer to Ramirez. Obviously watkins and hedges provided a threat themselves but Ramirez really benefited and didn’t look completely isolated. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Glass’ best spell this season was when we were able to get hedges and Watkins playing closer to Ramirez. Obviously watkins and hedges provided a threat themselves but Ramirez really benefited and didn’t look completely isolated. 

In recent times we've lost hedges, Wright and mcginn which has left us with next to no creativity.

Ramirez has looked isolated with little support. 

I'm sure Goodwin is well aware of this and will be looking to move on more of the dead wood and get some creative players in. 

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Glass’ best spell this season was when we were able to get hedges and Watkins playing closer to Ramirez. Obviously Watkins and hedges provided a threat themselves but Ramirez really benefited and didn’t look completely isolated. 

All three played against us when you pumped us 4 - 1. With Ramirez and Watkins each scoring a double. Even though we did play some good football after we went 2-0 down, the trio you mentioned were just too much for us. Watkins popping up and scoring right after we'd got it back to 2-1, killed the game.

Edited by FTOF

5 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

In recent times we've lost hedges, Wright and mcginn which has left us with next to no creativity.

Ramirez has looked isolated with little support. 

I'm sure Goodwin is well aware of this and will be looking to move on more of the dead wood and get some creative players in. 

Letting McGinn leave whilst keeping McLennan was baffling.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

All three played against us when you pumped us 4 - 1. With Ramirez and Watkins each scoring a double. Even though we did play some good football after we went 2-0 down, the trio you mentioned were just too much for us. Watkins pooping up and scoring right after we'd got it back to 2-1, killed the game.

Jay Emmanuel Thomas was also very influential that day, Teddy Jenks also came on as a sub and performed well.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

All three played against us when you pumped us 4 - 1. With Ramirez and Watkins each scoring a double. Even though we did play some good football after we went 2-0 down, the trio you mentioned were just too much for us. Watkins pooping up and scoring right after we'd got it back to 2-1, killed the game.

Greenie for the post but also the bolded typo.