The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not sure I under the comparison. Dunfermline have spent at least as much of their history in the second tier as they have in the top tier.

They also massively overspent to get success over a period of a good few years before the debt caught up with them and they have been struggling ever since. 

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Goodwin got rid of Obika because he didn't think he was busy enough up front. He then brought in Curtis Main. 

Aye. Obika generally did well for us and was much more of a goal threat but he wants his strikers to be able to defend from the front, pressure defenders into mistakes. I said in this thread weeks ago Ramirez doesn't fit that bill but he does the most important thing a striker should do, score goals.

Its unhealthy but I keep going over in my head what could have been for us if Aberdeen had went for someone else. They only thing that has improved for all parties is Goodies wages, so far 🙈.

2 hours ago, Afc69 said:

Interesting on STV news tonight, Chris Harvey saying Goodwin is after Jamie McGrath. 
I suppose it’s to be expected but it sounded like it was something Goodwin had confirmed off the record at a press conference, which DOES surprise me.

https://punditarena.com/football/andrewdempsey/jim-goodwin-stephen-glass-jamie-mcgrath-aberdeen-pressure/

10 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Can’t see McGrath or Ronan happening to be honest 

Nah, could see maybe McGrath coming on loan if he's still not getting a game but the summer seems too quick for him to be completely written off by Wigan I'd say. Maybe next January at best.

9 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Nah, could see maybe McGrath coming on loan if he's still not getting a game but the summer seems too quick for him to be completely written off by Wigan I'd say. Maybe next January at best.

Depends if Wigan get promoted, McGrath and Shinnie are struggling to get a game at the top of League 1 so I'd imagine they might find themselves further down the pecking order if Wigan go up.

Any decent player from the top flight here that gets a move to England and ends up surplus to requirements will instantly become a transfer target for Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

Previously we would win out financially more often than not and also have the 'carrot' of some European football to throw at them.  I suspect we have just slipped down the pecking order there.

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Any decent player from the top flight here that gets a move to England and ends up surplus to requirements will instantly become a transfer target for Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

Previously we would win out financially more often than not and also have the 'carrot' of some European football to throw at them.  I suspect we have just slipped down the pecking order there.

I don't think four or six games against European minnows has quite the pull you think it does tbh.

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think four or six games against European minnows has quite the pull you think it does tbh.

In fairness, when you consider that the UEFA Conference League had teams like Basel, Spurs, Rennes, Copenhagen, Feyenoord, Slavia Prague, Roma etc. in the group stages this year, I'd argue that is a decent selling point between Hearts and Aberdeen (assuming Hearts win this weekend and secure it).

Then there is the chance of that actually being the Europa League, which would enhance it further.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

In fairness, when you consider that the UEFA Conference League had teams like Basel, Spurs, Rennes, Copenhagen, Feyenoord, Slavia Prague, Roma etc. in the group stages this year, I'd argue that is a decent selling point between Hearts and Aberdeen (assuming Hearts win this weekend and secure it).

Then there is the chance of that actually being the Europa League, which would enhance it further.

Unless you pick up an aging player, then it's almost always going to be money at this level for anyone outside the uglies.