The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Unless you pick up an aging player, then it's almost always going to be money at this level for anyone outside the uglies.

And wouldn't guaranteed group stage European football help facilitate that? I'm not sure what the current difference is between Hearts and Aberdeen's finances are, but they will be expecting a few million quid anyway should they secure it.

Edited by AJF

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Unless you pick up an aging player, then it's almost always going to be money at this level for anyone outside the uglies.

You might be underplaying it a little. Assuming we can offer a similar level of wage to hearts then group stage football gives them an edge on the sales pitch right now I would say. 

Finances will be first priority but the risk there is we end up overpaying for players to compensate. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think four or six games against European minnows has quite the pull you think it does tbh.

I think that has a bit of truth if it's qualifiers, but if Hearts end up guaranteed group stage European football, that's a different thing.

Add in that most Scottish players are from the central belt and playing for Hearts, living in the central belt, guaranteed European group stage football, and a decent wage suddenly makes joining a rebuild in Aberdeen a tough sell.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

You might be underplaying it a little. Assuming we can offer a similar level of wage to hearts then group stage football gives them an edge on the sales pitch right now I would say. 

Finances will be first priority but the risk there is we end up overpaying for players to compensate. 

Agree with the last bit.

Will be interesting to see how Hearts get on next season. I'd imagine we'll see a drastic dip in league form for whichever diddy team gets group stage football going forward.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Agree with the last bit.

Will be interesting to see how Hearts get on next season. I'd imagine we'll see a drastic dip in league form for whichever diddy team gets group stage football going forward.

They could just as easily bulk up their squad with overpaid diddies to try and compensate for the additional games. 

Everyone wants a bigger budget but easier said than done to make the most of it. That’s not a prediction but I’m not subscribed to the idea that hearts European exploits automatically leaves them miles ahead of us. They have a good opportunity but just have to see how it pans out. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

They could just as easily bulk up their squad with overpaid diddies to try and compensate for the additional games. 

Everyone wants a bigger budget but easier said than done to make the most of it. That’s not a prediction but I’m not subscribed to the idea that hearts European exploits automatically leaves them miles ahead of us. They have a good opportunity but just have to see how it pans out

It's Hearts. Could easily be relegation.

Would love to see them bulk up with overpaid diddies to compensate.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think that has a bit of truth if it's qualifiers, but if Hearts end up guaranteed group stage European football, that's a different thing.

Add in that most Scottish players are from the central belt and playing for Hearts, living in the central belt, guaranteed European group stage football, and a decent wage suddenly makes joining a rebuild in Aberdeen a tough sell.

One of the key complaints from players is the familiarity of playing the same sides so often in Scotland.  The three EFL divisions down south are brutal slogs, but offer 23 different opponents and away venues.

I think having European games is a bit of a selling point, and if that's group stages all the better - not only for their career experiences, but potential bonuses on offer due to the financial rewards for clubs.

The relative remoteness from the central belt has always been an issue for AFC, and has led to us overpaying or chucking in a (rented) house in the past for Scots players, where others wouldn't need to - probably a reason we need to cast our net wider. Having an airport that is an hour's flight from London, Manchester, Amsterdam helps in that respect.

I would be happy for us to unearth a few gems regardless of where we get them from - and Besuijen is maybe an early sign that the club are hopefully doing that (over and above the obvious US market).

Edited by tarapoa

34 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

One of the key complaints from players is the familiarity of playing the same sides so often in Scotland.  The three EFL divisions down south are brutal slogs, but offer 23 different opponents and away venues.

I think having European games is a bit of a selling point, and if that's group stages all the better - not only for their career experiences, but potential bonuses on offer due to the financial rewards for clubs.

The relative remoteness from the central belt has always been an issue for AFC, and has led to us overpaying or chucking in a (rented) house in the past for Scots players, where others wouldn't need to - probably a reason we need to cast our net wider. Having an airport that is an hour's flight from London, Manchester, Amsterdam helps in that respect.

I would be happy for us to unearth a few gems regardless of where we get them from - and Besuijen is maybe an early sign that the club are hopefully doing that (over and above the obvious US market).

While it's true that group stage fitba will give Hearts a head-to-head advantage if we and Aberdeen/Hibs go for the same player over the summer, I don't think Aberdeen or Hibs have too much cause for concern, really. Assuming you both stay up.

For all that both sides have been dreadful this year, you've both only missed out on the top 6 by really small margins, and I don't see either club having much trouble over-hauling or pulling away from the likes of Livi and Motherwell with a decently-planned summer. It's not like they've gubbed you by 10-15 points.

Add in that Hearts are likely to have a congested season up till Christmas at least, and I'd not be surprised at all if Aberdeen qualified for Europe next season.

Edited by VincentGuerin

23 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

The club briefly outed itself as Anti-Tory there which is the best piece of PR in ages 

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fair play.

FQO3OxsXEAArgx4?format=jpg&name=large

Was swiftly deleted and the guy will be punted as big Dave is a Tory.

Someone obviously making the same mistake as the Celtic Instagram account holder did 🤣

5 hours ago, betting competition said:

So much negativity from the fans with ex-St Mirren players but if we go on that basis then best not sign John McGinn!

Hey. You guys have done mostly well in the past with players and managers in the past including Dougie Bell, Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frank McDougall and Fergie.

Fancy the return of Curtis Main?

5 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Hey. You guys have done mostly well in the past with players and managers in the past including Dougie Bell, Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frank McDougall and Fergie.

I remember we signed Ricky Gillies, who according to your diehard #1 fan Chick Young was the second coming.

6 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Vaclav Hladky, Jamie McGrath and Conor Ronan will do for starters