The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

The point being a St Johnstone fan is surprised Aberdeen (or any Scottish team) havent got an "elite" foreigner is weird. Nice that he thinks of Aberdeen as capable of that!

Also as you criticise and dislike Levein more than most your post is odd. Our underperformance this season is nothing to do with our incoming non "elite" manager.

I would suggest a club with a manager who is a dinosaur who has managed a 26% win ratio with you is not really in a place to suggest other teams appointments are unimaginative 😄

He never said it was "unimaginative".

"Elite", means one of the best in the league. For all the money you've spent I'm not sure a single one of your foreign legion fit that bill bar Miovski.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

"Elite", means one of the best in the league. For all the money you've spent I'm not sure a single one of your foreign legion fit that bill bar Miovski.

McGrath is one of the best attacking midfielders in the league.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Duk absolutely cruised it last season, and Ramadani went to a Serie A side for more than a million and is playing every week for Lecce.

4 hours ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Duk absolutely cruised it last season, and Ramadani went to a Serie A side for more than a million and is playing every week for Lecce.

Really relevant to this season IMO.

It's true. Most of our players aren't elite. This really isn't a massive shock. They're also mostly not Scottish. Which is obviously a disgrace. Scottish jobs for Scottish people, rebuild hadrians wall and electrify it etc. We should only hire managers that eat rowies for breakfast and have won the champions league. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

It's true. Most of our players aren't elite. This really isn't a massive shock. They're also mostly not Scottish. Which is obviously a disgrace. Scottish jobs for Scottish people, rebuild hadrians wall and electrify it etc. We should only hire managers that eat rowies for breakfast and have won the champions league. 

I know it's how Brexit-y it sounds, but it feels like almost every good non-OF side there's been requires a core of players with a lot of experience of the league, that generally means British players (but is starting to change).

If you'd had a CB with 100+ games in this league (and functioning legs before you make a joke and say Considine) then you'd probably be in the top half right now.

You'll need to give your new manager that kind of help early on IMO.

Edited by RandomGuy.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know it's how Brexit-y it sounds, but it feels like almost every good non-OF side there's been requires a core of players with a lot of experience of the league, that generally means British players (but is starting to change).

If you'd had a CB with 100+ games in this league (and functioning legs before you make a joke and say Considine) then you'd probably be in the top half right now.

The main qualities i'd be looking for in a CB would be defensive abilities somewhat in advance of blancmange. I don't care ewhere they're from.

Maybe British players do develop playing in a more suitable style for the Spl. Mcdonald has been better than Jensen when he's come in, but it's marginal. 

We've had four Scots starting regularly recently. Which i don't think is unusually low for the league. 

It was a lazy trollish swipe by Tam, but it got some bites, so fair play. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rubezic is a massive loss. Don't think we realised how good he was until he wasn't there but he was having to do the job of the non existent DM, as well as his own.

Most managers are a gamble - the relatively safe option would have been the usual suspects that "know Scottish football" and how to grind out results, a few of whom are currently occupying the positions above us in the league at this time.

I had Thelin pinned as the new Kjetil Knutsen, in terms of the leftfield choice for cooler people - but provided we don't get relegated, it looks like it will happen.

Some will put this as a last chance saloon for Cormack and the board, but considering most fans seem to be onboard, hopefully they are not all revisiting this with a large dose of hindsight-based revisionism a year down the line.

I was dead against Glass and Warnock, but will admit I was happy enough at the time with the Goodwin and Robson appointments.  The natural comparison on this one is Skovdahl (who did manage some relative success after the start from hell, but soon tailed off). 

This one seems worth a try, but I think it's important JT gets players that have the character and adaptability to buy into him and his coaching team's way of thinking, as we are traditionally a dressing room that is easy to lose if not. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Rubezic is a massive loss. Don't think we realised how good he was until he wasn't there but he was having to do the job of the non existent DM, as well as his own.

Yeah agree, suspect his mistakes being so high profile over shadowed a lot of the good he did. In fairness, I never thought he was bad. Just that his mistakes were so costly that we couldn’t necessarily afford to persist. Definitely changed my view on it now. 

If we could bring in one or two quality centre halves beside him we’ll be considerably better. 

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah agree, suspect his mistakes being so high profile over shadowed a lot of the good he did. In fairness, I never thought he was bad. Just that his mistakes were so costly that we couldn’t necessarily afford to persist. Definitely changed my view on it now. 

If we could bring in one or two quality centre halves beside him we’ll be considerably better. 

He was a better version of Ash Taylor.

No matter how good he was playing, you could have the Simpsons meme ready.

e444014c-7551-45a4-b39d-e4fd1154c3be_text.gif

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He was a better version of Ash Taylor.

No matter how good he was playing, you could have the Simpsons meme ready.

e444014c-7551-45a4-b39d-e4fd1154c3be_text.gif

:lol: 100%. 

Distinctly remember at the PAOK home game thinking ‘he’s played really well here, what’s he got up his sleeve…’

It will probably all be academic anyway, but it was really obvious in the second half today that we need more energy and presence in the middle next weekend or Celtic will have a field day. Phillips is a must start, for me, and I wouldn't be opposed to reverting to one of Robson's European set-ups either. 

On 12/04/2024 at 08:09, RandomGuy. said:

They haven’t got 100 games yet, but Liam Gordon from your team and Robbie Deas have their contracts finishing this summer, as potential pre-contract options? Are you suggesting anyone else specifically?

Bacchus would be a similar option. I think we would have been in a far better position, including in Europe, if we had an effective defensive midfielder. Not replacing Ramadani was costly.