The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, Aberdeen21 said:

I'd like to know what is going with James Maddison. Unless Norwich are trying to sell him to someone and get some sort of fee(similar to wes burns at Bristol city) then I don't understand why he hasn't returned yet. If they had any intention of keeping him then surely he would have made the bench over the last few games. In particular the FA Cup game against Southampton when Neil named 4/5 youth team players in the squad with little to no first team experience. Something just doesn't seem right about Maddison and the fact we are now being linked with Commons and Christie who I would see as replacements for Maddison and not hayes or mcginn.

The manager is looking for two new signings and I can only see maybe one more player leaving and that could be Storey on loan. Aberdeen wont deal with Cardiff any longer until they up the offer substantially but that's not say another championship side won't come in desperate for a winger last minute and throw a million pound plus at us. I believe derek is trying to get may in on 2/3 year deal rather than a loan but this is all dependent on Preston getting in another striker and whether or not they want to cut their losses. May is open to the permanent deal.

Pretty certain all your other Aberdeen exclusives have turned out to be sh1t.

Good luck with your career in Scottish journalism. You should fit right in.

Excellent in what way?
Nostalgia is all well and good but we need to here proper reasoned VIABLE arguments to stay at Pittodrie. Not cos this guy used to fear Joey Harper would score a hat trick against Hibs but he doesn't worry about that now.
I think staying and redeveloping Pittodrie is just about every Dons fans first choice, but it's been made perfectly clear that it just isn't a possibility. We move on.

Excellent in the sense that it's very well written and makes a strong case that something is lost from all of Scottish football if/when a famous historic stadium like Pittodrie is turned into flats.

While I guess it is almost certainly too expensive to stay at Pittodrie I don't think the club has made it perfectly clear why we can't stay there and I wish they would publish something more substantial on this as it would help win over fans who are unsure. The current main reason given is that we should have our training ground next to our stadium as this is 'modern' - bizarre!

For what it's worth I think Kingsford is much better than Loirston for location reasons but the downgrade in architects and cost savings they have made in the current plans for the stadium give cause for concern. Build it on the cheap and we'll regret it for the next 50 years. Pittodrie was an innovative stadium at certain points in its history (dug outs, floodlights, all seater) - the new one is a bland replica of (utter no-marks) Bristol City's new stadium. This is a huge long term decision and the club needs to get it right and have as many fans in support as possible. Fingers crossed!

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Scott Burns running with the Ryan Christie story in the Express. He's often spot on with Dons transfer news. Would be a good signing if Maddison doesn't return.

Surely if you are (somehow) getting Christie that would signal the end of any chances of Maddison returning?

Surely if you are (somehow) getting Christie that would signal the end of any chances of Maddison returning?

It most likely would, yes.

Is Christie comfortable out wide or is he mainly a central player? Playing in a wide attacking role would probably suit our system better but I seem to remember him mainly playing off the striker at ICT.

He's definitely at his best when he plays just behind the striker although I think he occasionally turned up in the wide areas. He typically moved all over the front line picking the ball up wherever he could. He's an outrageous talent. You need only to look at the way he takes Graeme Shinnie completely out of the game with this smart turn before playing in Storey to score against you guys to see the skill he possesses. Quite sad to see all three of them playing for Aberdeen now (from an ICT POV obviously for the Dons it's brilliant).

32 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Scott Burns running with the Ryan Christie story in the Express. He's often spot on with Dons transfer news. Would be a good signing if Maddison doesn't return.

He'd be a much better signing than Maddison IMO.

As good a player as Maddison is, and he was a joy to watch at times, Christie would offer more consistent end product. 

Edited by shootingboots

17 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

And where are you getting all this from?

My mate played with May at Alloa and he still plays pro football with guys who are close with him. Could still be total rubbish but I don't think it would be a total shock for preston to let him leave and free up his wage if he wanted to move back north and settle again.

16 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Yeah I reckon so. They're just taking the opportunity to see more of him in training, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if Aberdeen now have a "no recall" clause in loan agreements after the Danny Ward situation last year. 

His loan deal was only until January so not sure what a "no recall" clause would achieve in maddisons situation.

His loan deal was only until January so not sure what a "no recall" clause would achieve in maddisons situation.

Well perhaps the deal was til Jan because we wouldn't let him have a no-recall clause. Better to be aware that he's leaving and prepare for it, than have it dropped on our heads.

Did Easton ever have a spell of playing CB, or is he explicitly an LB? Because if it's the latter (I can only really recall him being this in the back of my head) it might suggest putting Shinnie up in the mid as Russel suggests, whereas if he can play both roles he could flit between the two in case of injuries, Taylor still being shite etc

My mate played with May at Alloa and he still plays pro football with guys who are close with him. Could still be total rubbish but I don't think it would be a total shock for preston to let him leave and free up his wage if he wanted to move back north and settle again.

They spent £1m on him, I doubt they'll let him go for less than half of that.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

They spent £1m on him, I doubt they'll let him go for less than half of that.

It was closer to the 800k mark I'm sure. Its the kind of player Aberdeen may be willing to spend a wee bit of cash on. Still young with lots of potential if he gets over this injury. As I said its all hearsay but its not totally ridiculous to think he could come in permanently however Grayson has been quoted as saying he would like him to come back next season fully fit with games under his belt.