Heart of Midlothian 2014-

It actually wouldn't surprise me if these have all been influenced heavily by MacPhee, definitely seem like 'Moneyball' type signings. 

Would be interesting to see if they've pulled up some statistics to say Partick lost the fewest games with Edwards in the team or similar.

^^^furiously trying to justify absolutely mediocre signings

Edwards looked good against us on a couple of occasions i remember, so happy enough with an energetic attacking midfielder.

Energy is literally his only attribute.

Usually has no idea where he’s supposed to be or what he’s supposed to do and even when he does, he normally doesn’t have the technical ability to do it.

Always struck me as consistently inconsistent player. 

Our recruitment is fine if you are looking at it through the lens they're all average with the hope of being able to coach them into becoming better players. My issue there is that Craig Levein hasn't been doing much coaching per se, leaving Austin McPhee, Liam Fox and John Daly to most of the work while he handles his more 'director of football' duties at the start of the week, before coming in on the Thursday and Friday to work on our shape and whatnot.

If we're saying that we can coach most of these recruits into better players, I'm not convinced. McPhee is probably more assistant manager than an actual coach with set pieces maybe being the one thing I would concede he can do well (even though we've been pish from set pieces for the most part, and his track record is based purely on Northern Ireland). Liam Fox, I'm unconvinced about after his tenure at Cowdenbeath and John Daly I don't know enough about.

Even looking at from a perspective where can you ask that any of last season's recruits improved as players over the course of the season? Milinkovic certainly came on from the player he was at the start of the season, and Souttar if you're not looking at it from Berra being next to him makes him a better player. For the rest, I'm not buying it, and it doesn't fill me with enough confidence to say these players and our new ones will improve this season either.

Real questions got to be asked of Levein recruitment - Edwards is terrible player and, once again, a whole bunch of randomers coming in to Tyncastle. Got to think that it would make more sense having a smaller squad of better players than a massive one of dross....

You can file this under "bitter fan pissing and moaning about ex-player" if you want, but he's a headless chicken, and he triggered his relegation release clause about 5 seconds after we were confirmed doon. Make of that what you will.

Not a bad squad player to have for some depth if that's what he's been signed for, I suppose. I'm really surprised he's managed to get a move to a club like Hearts though, was expecting him to either go back to 'straya or end up at Hamilton or something.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

47 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Edwards looked good against us on a couple of occasions i remember, so happy enough with an energetic attacking midfielder.

If the definition of an attacking midfielder is to score and/or create goals, you're not going to be happy for long.

A significant portion of the Thistle support were of the simpleton "HE RUN ABOUT, HE GOOD"  mindset, completely blind to any of the subtleties of playing football. He's a midfielder who cannot play centrally as he has no positional discipline and charges about the pitch, leaving gaping holes; his range of passing is limited and the accuracy of his short passing is often pathetic, shanking the ball or playing it behind a runner. I thought his best position was out the way in the number 10 role if you like but he offers so little incision or subtlety in his play that it was often a wasted selection.

On the plus side, you can't fault his fitness levels - he's a very fit lad (oooer!) and he will set the tone when pressing teams; and perhaps the tactical deficiencies could be coached out of him by someone like Levein.

Summoning my inner Neil Warnock here, I think he might make a decent wide player, probably on the left and drifting inside. But if Levein intends playing him where we did, his limitations will be exposed very quickly.

Cracking move for REdwards. Fair fucks to the lad for chasing his dream.

There is a player in there somewhere. Lacks consistency and awareness but has the odd flash of creativity. 

32 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Ryan Edwards is fucking brilliant. Youse are all fucking idiots. 

...but he's not though is he, really. You not watch him in the play-offs?? Passing was God awful!! Kept just putting it out!