People You Dislike For No Proper Reason

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

The Fast Show even had the cheek to have an unfunny music hall character who repeated catchphrases constantly, like they knew it was shite and wanted to claim irony.

Hide contents

I did love The Fast Show, and probably still would if I saw it again, but I'd be buggered if I could explain why.

That was Arthur Atkinson. I thought it was pretty funny. His music hall mate, Fred Halibut always creased me up with this.......

• Hedgecutter changed the title to People You Dislike For No Proper Reason (sponsored by: Miguel Sanchez)
46 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

That was Arthur Atkinson. I thought it was pretty funny. His music hall mate, Fred Halibut always creased me up with this.......

I meant unfunny as in, the joke was that he wasn't actually funny. He was probably one of the funnier characters as a result. The more I think about it, the less I understand why I liked/like that show so much!

I wonder who was the first to start doing risque R&B numbers in an old-fashioned family-friendly manner? Big fan of Richard Cheese, but it's clearly an idea that's been kicking about for a long time.

• Hedgecutter changed the title to People You Dislike For No Proper Reason (sponsored by: Miguel Sanchez endorsed Incontinence Knickers)
On 27/10/2021 at 13:22, Miguel Sanchez said:

Joe Lycett

Cunts on everything and it's always a shite program.  One of the mainstays of the 2015ish onward comedy game show no marks.

On 28/10/2021 at 15:40, scottsdad said:

Not the only one. There was a period from the mid-90s onwards where repeated catchphrases replaced jokes as alleged comedy. The Fast Show was a prime example - characters saying the same thing over and over again was apparently funny. Little Britain the same. 

Wasn’t Keeping Up Appearances basically the same catchphrases and situations repeated ad nasueum every single fucking episode, now I think of it? Must have been the easiest writing gig in the world - one script existed with minor adjustments to everything around the same catchphrases and pratfalls.

32117924-0287-401C-B1F2-3E80E5E8A7F7.png

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

Wasn’t Keeping Up Appearances basically the same catchphrases and situations repeated ad nasueum every single fucking episode, now I think of it? Must have been the easiest writing gig in the world - one script existed with minor adjustments to everything around the same catchphrases and pratfalls.

Only in the standard sitcom manner; different plot each week, where the characters would have to repeat their catchphrases at some point ("mind the pedestrian, Richard!"). Same as any of them, really - 'Allo 'Allo, Only Fools & Horses, Are You Being Served?, etc etc. The plots got recycled between shows and tailored to the characters.

The Fast Show was the same formula with the plot removed. Must have been incredibly easy to write, when you think about it.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Only in the standard sitcom manner; different plot each week, where the characters would have to repeat their catchphrases at some point ("mind the pedestrian, Richard!"). Same as any of them, really - 'Allo 'Allo, Only Fools & Horses, Are You Being Served?, etc etc. The plots got recycled between shows and tailored to the characters.

The Fast Show was the same formula with the plot removed. Must have been incredibly easy to write, when you think about it.

If I remember correctly, KUA had about three plots it used on rotation: Patricia Routledge wants to do something (have the vicar for tea; sing; host a dinner party) but everyone hates her; she goes to visit the neighbour who breaks a cup; she goes to visit her family because the “daddy” escapes, and the dog frightens her. I’m fairly sure every episode fits into one of those outlines. But aye, the catchphrases would also be beaded along those basic strings. It boggles my mind why that show was so popular (maybe the cast being likeable helped elevate the sheer repetitiveness and tweeness?).

Special mentions to One Foot in the Grave and Blackadder, which did have catchphrases but deliberately tried to be inventive with them. Blackadder would usually always use Baldrick’s “I have a cunning plan” to annihilate him, and Victor Meldrew became adept at varying his delivery so he’d rarely actually get the full “I don’t believe it” out.

That really does sum up the plot of every episode of KUA that I can remember. Television has always been shite.

I don't think Fawlty Towers was around long enough to resort to catchphrases, which fits in with what I was saying about John Cleese. Funny considering how often it gets quoted. Don't think The Office did either, but they're few and far between.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That really does sum up the plot of every episode of KUA that I can remember. Television has always been shite.

I don't think Fawlty Towers was around long enough to resort to catchphrases, which fits in with what I was saying about John Cleese. Funny considering how often it gets quoted. Don't think The Office did either, but they're few and far between.

Does Manuel’s “que?” count? It was definitely a cut far above the rest of the 70s/80s/90s’ output though. Another honourable mention is the almost forgotten 2point4 Children, which looked like it should be a shite, twee, catchphrase filled family sitcom, but was in fact surreal, bizarre, and hilarious (plots involved the parents having to beat an inflatable Pope with baseball bats whilst awaiting Catholic relatives arriving; becoming addicted to cocaine-filled experimental chocolate bars; and getting kidnapped and abandoned in Portmeirion during a “Prisoner” convention). Not a catchphrase in sight.

But the masses really did seem satisfied with “good moaning”, “BouQUET residence”, and “computer says nooo” screamed in their earholes five times a week. That’s why it gets on balls when people trot out the “well it’s better than anything on TV these days” line about their favourite turds of yesteryear. Most of it was juvenile, repetitive garbage. 

I remember an early strip of "Student Grant" in Viz where they come back from summer holiday and one of them comes out with Vic Reeves' catchphrases "You wouldn't let it lie" etc. No one laughs and he goes away humiliated.

Grant then comes out with the latest catchphrase "Bag of shite" * and they all think he's great and cool.

(*Note for youngsters: A pre Partridge Steve Coogan catchphrase from his Paul Calf characte)

On 28/10/2021 at 15:55, btb said:

Lenny Henry - sign of my age but I remember when he broke through on New Faces with a routine that was pretty similar to fellow winner Jim Davidson, I also remember when Billy Connolly was a Partick Thistle fan.

Oh and was Dawn French ever funny?

Did Billy Connolly ever claim to be a Thistle fan; I remember the line 'Us Partick Thistle fans got nothing', on one of his TV specials but that's was clearly the punchline of the gag. Did he' claim it outside of that?

Did Billy Connolly ever claim to be a Thistle fan; I remember the line 'Us Partick Thistle fans got nothing', on one of his TV specials but that's was clearly the punchline of the gag. Did he' claim it outside of that?
He alluded to being a Jag many times in his early career, for obvious reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2021 at 13:19, Aim Here said:

I have/had a book somewhere with a picture of young BC with a Fissel scarf. I've always had the impression that he's not really a football fan, though, and just enjoys the odd outing to the director's box at Parkhead. Same for Sean Connery and Ibrox.