People You Dislike For No Proper Reason

On 30/10/2021 at 17:56, Antlion said:

Does Manuel’s “que?” count? It was definitely a cut far above the rest of the 70s/80s/90s’ output though. Another honourable mention is the almost forgotten 2point4 Children, which looked like it should be a shite, twee, catchphrase filled family sitcom, but was in fact surreal, bizarre, and hilarious (plots involved the parents having to beat an inflatable Pope with baseball bats whilst awaiting Catholic relatives arriving; becoming addicted to cocaine-filled experimental chocolate bars; and getting kidnapped and abandoned in Portmeirion during a “Prisoner” convention). Not a catchphrase in sight.

But the masses really did seem satisfied with “good moaning”, “BouQUET residence”, and “computer says nooo” screamed in their earholes five times a week. That’s why it gets on balls when people trot out the “well it’s better than anything on TV these days” line about their favourite turds of yesteryear. Most of it was juvenile, repetitive garbage. 

Extras captured this beautifully and it’s still happening.

On 03/11/2021 at 13:19, Aim Here said:

Did Billy Connolly ever claim to be a Thistle fan; I remember the line 'Us Partick Thistle fans got nothing', on one of his TV specials but that's was clearly the punchline of the gag. Did he' claim it outside of that?

Not any time I met him in the Winchester he didn’t anyway ,seemed to be more interested in the Fulham score . 

1D743187-A539-4BF6-A1E1-22C053C99EB0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Extras captured this beautifully and it’s still happening.

Are you ‘avin’ a laugh?

There was a “real life” When the Whistle Blows in the form of Ben Elton’s The Wright Way a few years ago. I watched every single fucking episode out of sheer disbelief that it existed and made it to air. Delightfully, it tried like f**k to make “don’t get me STARTED” a catchphrase. Sublime. Jaw dropping. Terrifying. Surely one of the worst efforts at a sitcom in history, beyond even the trashiest 70s shit stains.

3 hours ago, Antlion said:

Are you ‘avin’ a laugh?

There was a “real life” When the Whistle Blows in the form of Ben Elton’s The Wright Way a few years ago. I watched every single fucking episode out of sheer disbelief that it existed and made it to air. Delightfully, it tried like f**k to make “don’t get me STARTED” a catchphrase. Sublime. Jaw dropping. Terrifying. Surely one of the worst efforts at a sitcom in history, beyond even the trashiest 70s shit stains.

Beattie Edmondson showing her limited range then, she hasn't improved much since.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan Walker on BBC Breakfast, largely because he seems consistently intent on throwing in dull anecdotes, and shoehorning in references to himself in classic 'look at me, aren't I great' fashion.

Quite liked BBC Breakfast when it covered real news, but now it just seems to resemble a shite daytime chat show, interviewing fun runners and the like.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Dan Walker on BBC Breakfast, largely because he seems consistently intent on throwing in dull anecdotes, and shoehorning in references to himself in classic 'look at me, aren't I great' fashion.

Quite liked BBC Breakfast when it covered real news, but now it just seems to resemble a shite daytime chat show, interviewing fun runners and the like.

He's also a massive god-botherer

• 3 weeks later...